Initial Impression and Question

Han Shot First
on 4/13/16 5:35 pm - Flint, MI
RNY on 10/06/14

For me, the pre-op liquid diet was worse than anything that came after surgery.  If you can get through this, you can get through anything post-op.

--

150 lost and maintaining!

Jenb1202
on 4/14/16 3:02 pm

Yeah... I just started this on Tuesday.  It's Thursday and I'm pretty sure I'm going to bite someone's head off.  I suggested to my husband that I stay in a hotel.  At least I'm allowed to have Jell-O and hubby got me some sugar-free freezer pops and popsicles.

Thank you for the encouragement!

Kathyjs
on 4/13/16 5:49 pm

I didn't have to do a liquid diet. I did have to lose weight pre op. BUT for something to chew, my suggestion is sugar free Popsicles. Liquid plus a little chew. I first came to this board years ago and I try to be kind and I sure don't think I am better, but I do tell it like it is. Not out of meanness but concern. I am so glad to see you have researched surgery because it's work but so worth it. Welcome and all the best

Jenb1202
on 4/14/16 10:35 am

Thanks!  Hubby did pick up some sugar-free popsicles and some sugar free juice to make my own, but I appreciate the suggestion!

The Salty Hag
on 4/13/16 6:53 pm
RNY on 05/20/13

It's so strange how different surgeons are. I initially wanted the sleeve. My surgeon discovered I had undiagnosed GERD, and promptly told me the sleeve would make my GERD worse and that RNY would be a better fit.

I woke up in between a memory and a dream...

Tom Petty

Patrice
(PatriceMarieV1 on...

on 4/13/16 9:10 pm
RNY on 03/11/15

I really, really wanted the VSG because I thought it was "less extreme." However, I had a hiatal hernia with several years worth of GERD history and my doctort strongly recommended RNY 1) due to my GERD, and 2) I  had a BMI over 50 and he told me that he thought I would be happier with the amount of weight I was likely to lose with RNY. I refused and told him I still wanted VSG.

Then, shortly before my surgery, something clicked with me that ANY WLS is extreme, but so is being super morbidly obese so why should I be more afraid of the "gold standard" which is RNY? I also couldn't imagine my GERD being WORSE and I was intrigued by the idea that RNY could completely cure that. I decided that my "one shot" at this surgery should be my best shot, so I changed my mind and switched to RNY.  It is the best decision I could have made for ME.

Good luck with your surgery, but please at least consider what the vets here have to say. It may just save you much grief later.

Regarding the liquid diet... It sucks, but you just have to keep yourself occupied and get through it. I found it helped me to wait as long as possible in the morning to have my first protein shake, because once you start for the day, you are counting down to when you can have the next.

dog_hair_dinner
on 4/14/16 6:33 am
RNY on 03/01/16

When I first started reading posts here, I had the same feeling you did.  I saw what I thought was alot of holier-than-thou stuff and people being so blunt, they'd get it wrong.  Alot of assumpitions too.  

Then I realized what T is Hagalicious Brown has said: "Please understand that its a forum & what you might see as an attack, others won't see it like that at all. Things are very interpretive here to some extent. One can say 1 thing & the other can hear something else. Miscommunication can & does happen. "

So when I see something that I find COULD be interpreted as offensive or overly judgemental, I keep in mind that people are posting with no awareness of my background, because I haven't shared it yet.  Also, I cannot hear the tone of voice of the delivery, so I cannot assume one way or the other what the intent is behind the post.

As for the liquid diet, it was very difficult for me as I had severe hunger pains for two weeks, then annoying ones after that.  I was on liquid for 3 weeks.  The one thought that got me through was that I needed to do the liquid diet to shrink my liver, so that it would make the surgery go more smoothly.

Lauren010110
on 4/14/16 12:25 pm - Victorville, CA

Hello, I hope this email find you a little more comfortable and/or at ease. To directly answer your questions: Yes... the first few weeks were difficult for me personally. Only the insides were rerouted... not my brain. getting used to "the new way of life" was frustrating and I would be lying if I said that I didn't have a few meltdowns. I was, yes, like you stated... CRANKY!!! My husband said I got on his nerves (But because he did the research ahead of time and knew that I would be experiencing these "moods" he knew exactly how he could support me. That was a huge thing for me... having a support system softened the blow... he brought me back down and helped me realize that I did this for the right reasons.

Once I started looking at the positives of WLS, I was able to relate and adapt appropriately.  I had made about 8 different flavors of jello just so I would have the variety... I would also put Isopure protein (The ready made ones in the glass jars) and mix those with the jello to put some protein in them... I went to Smart & Final and purchased 1 and 1.5 oz plastic souffle cups to adequately portion out my servings. It also made it easier when having to track my intake for my daily logs. Don't throw the container away until it has been logged. 

I found that right after my surgery, though, I didn't want to eat. It was easy to forget. so when you are logging, put what time you put everything into your mouth, how you were feeling and why you were eating it... even if its jello- (example I can give of how I would log: I ate 1 oz of Jello at 1:00pm, I really didn't want to eat it because I am not hungry, but I am eating it because it has protein and I need to maintain my liquid and protein intake)

YES- (WHEN YOU GET TO THAT STAGE) CHEW CHEW CHEW... and then chew some more! and I continued to eat out of the souffle cups to make sure I wan't over eating... but the thing is... I would never get more than 3/4 of the way finished...lol

I'm sorry you had those experiences with some people. just take their reactions or input with a grain of salt. Turn what they say into a positive experience. How has this taught you to be a better person? That is how I look at life now. 

Best of luck. If you have any questions, you are more than welcome to reach out to me or add me. 

Lauren

Jenb1202
on 4/14/16 1:40 pm

Thank you so very much, Lauren!  I was glad that the first question out of the dietitian's mouth was asking if I knew the difference between brain hunger and body hunger.  It was a great leaping off point.

I am lacking in the social support department but do have some professional support - both a psychologist I've been seeing for a long time and a therapist I recently started seeing to deal only with food issues.  For sure, the surgery isn't going to "fix" me.  There is a lot of work I need to do to have a "healthy" relationship with food.

It's funny you mentioned the souffle cups.  I ordered a heap load of those little cups for that very reason.  I think I have 500 of them from amazon.  I'll be good for a bit LOL  I actually just finished putting a tray of Knox Blox in the fridge to harden.  I love the idea of adding protein to them.  I know I may not like the protein drink I'm drinking now once I've had the surgery.

I've heard from a number of people that immediately after surgery you don't feel like eating.  How long did that last for you?  As for eating ("real" food), I read something about 20 chews and eating a meal should take 20 minutes, taking 3 minutes between bites.  That book suggested getting a timer, but my phone works just fine - and I already own it ;) .  Do you think that would have made it easier for you?  How about the chewing (although I know it will change from food to food and person to person) 20 times and taking that time between bites?

Thanks again for your kind and thoughtful response.

kellye71
on 4/20/16 10:16 am, edited 4/20/16 3:18 am - Lancaster, SC

First of all, congratulations on your 1st step on this journey.  It is a huge committment and major life change (in so many ways) and I commend you for walking down this road.  I agree with many of the other posters - don't take anything too personally.  When reading a post of another person, it can be interpreted in many different ways - you can't hear voice inflection, tone, or see facial expressions, so what you may perceive as something being  an attack, the poster may just be "telling it like it is".  You'll find that many of us, (me included at times) can be quite blunt and to the point because I'm one of those types who doesn't much care for the BS. 

Now, to answer some of your questions - yes a liquid diet is difficult.  The trick is trying to find things to "mix it up".  Different flavors, textures, temperatures, etc.  Getting creative with protein drinks helps - using sugar free Torani syrups to add to plain vanilla or chocolate can be a life savor.  Learning how to make protien shakes that are like milkshakes are good too.  Making protein icecream - there are tons of recipes all over the internet that you can find -- I suggest going to a blog written by eggface - she has a lot of great advice, recipes, and just general information that I've found particularly helpful.

I am about 3 weeks post-op from a revision - I had a gastric sleeve in 2007 and did quite well, I had lost almost 200 pounds in about 18 months & kept if off up until about a year or so ago & then the weight started to creep back up.  Before my VSG I was 405 pounds & I got down to 209 (my lowest) and ended up stabilizing around 220.  But I regained up to 297 recently and that was it - I was NOT going back so I had a revision going to a RNY and so far have lost almost 30 pounds. 

I had slowly started to change the types of foods I was consuming post-op but my digestive system was NOT in anyway ready for pureed foods & my body promptly made it known with pain & nausea & just feeling like crap.  So I slowed down the progression of food, went back to clear liquids for a few days and am now trying again the full-liquids with fairly good results.  It's not a set back, just a reminder that you have to listen to what your body is telling you.

And yes, CHEW CHEW CHEW CHEW and CHEW SOME MORE!!  With a sleeve you don't have to worry about your innards being re-routed so it won't go into shock so much when you do consume foods, but you will have a lot of restriction & food CAN get "stuck" making you want to throw up or just have mid-sternal chest pain that quite frankly hurts like hell.

I had great results with my sleeve - do what surgery YOU feel is the best for YOU.  I wanted a RNY initially but my surgeon felt that because of my wieght & BMI it was safer to start with the sleeve & if ever needed I could have a revision.  I was disappointed at first but then I realized ANY surgery was better than staying morbidly obese, depressed, and stuck @ home all the time because I was in so much pain it hurt to stand on my feet for more than 5 or 10 minutes.  I was literally afraid I was going to eat myself to death so that 1st WLS saved my life in many ways.  I was able to go back to work, I got out of an abusive marriage, I went back to school & was finally able to transition from an LPN to RN.  In the last couple of years I met my current hubby who is awesome & majorly supportive & has loved me at my heaviest & is my biggest supporter now that I'm losing and now I'm headed back to school to get my DNP to become a nurse practitioner. 

I wish I hadn't needed a revision, because it made me feel like a failure, but I also know I'm not alone in all that because there are a lot of people on here who have had to have revisions for one reason or another.

And NO I did not feel hungry AT ALL post-op.  I actually had to set a timer to remind myself to eat because the desire to eat (physical hunger) was not there at all.  Did I still fight the head hunger? Yes -- and I still fight head hunger now.  But even just being about 3 weeks post-op, no physical hunger exists at this point.

Sorry for all the rambling, but I just thought you'd like to know a little about me along with any advice or suggestions that I give because I think it helps to personalize the message and hey, if you ever need to vent, cry, ask questions, or just need a friendly ear, I'm always around.

Kellye

If you want to go fast, go alone.
If you want to go far, go together.

-- African Proverb