Initial Impression and Question

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 4/13/16 12:38 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

Hint: telling people what they can and cannot post doesn't "bring out the worst," but it DOES get people telling you (honestly) that they're adults and can post what they please.

I looked at your previous posts and I see NOTHING that comes across as a "slam" or "nasty." Not on the VSG boards, not on the general surgery boards. What on earth has you so upset that you're telling people what to say?

If you overreact to the not-nasty-at-all posts that I've seen, then you're right, you SHOULD re-consider your activity here.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Lindseyp1019
on 4/13/16 12:41 pm

Hi Jen,

Tomorrow I go in for my three hour pre-op class, and I start the liquid diet on Monday.  My RYBG is scheduled for May 2.  I've been very nervous about the surgery, and I think it's because of the pre-op diet! 2 weeks of only liquids is going to be tough...actually more than two weeks because it's a week after surgery too.  I've been attending support groups that our clinic offers and from other's experience, you don't have much of an appetite at all for a few weeks after the surgery, so I'm hoping the liquid diet won't be so bad then.  It's more of a mental thing than anything, we just need to keep our eye on the prize! I know I will be tested though, because I have a wedding to attend during this two week period, and I am already trying to prep myself for it.  

I may be coming to you for some tips and advice once I start my two week diet! Good luck to you :) 

CW: 230

BMI: 40

RYGB surgery scheduled for 5/2/16

Jenb1202
on 4/13/16 12:57 pm

Yeah, I have the post-op 2 weeks of liquids, but am not so nervous about that.  I figure that, being post-op, I won't want to consume as much so the bigger issue will be making sure I am getting the protein and water.

Wow, a social event in the midst of it?  That certain sounds challenging!  You're braver than I - I can't even go in out cabinets to look for gelatin!

GeekMonster, Insolent Hag
on 4/13/16 12:42 pm - CA
VSG on 12/19/13
On April 13, 2016 at 6:26 PM Pacific Time, Jenb1202 wrote:

When I first posted here last week, I had pretty high expectations after hearing about this site from a nurse.  When I made my initial post, there were only a few people who didn't downright slam and criticize me for going what the surgery my surgeon feels is best for me.  I know people have each had different experiences, but when it comes down to a huge medical decision, I'm going to trust the opinion of the surgeon I chose and his team.  If I didn't trust him, I wouldn't have chosen him.  He has a superior reputation in this field.  I can appreciate others sharing their opinions, but what I read was downright nasty.  It has made me re-consider my activity on this site.  I want to give it another chance, although fear this post may bring out the worst in people.

If anyone has gotten as far as this, I have a question: did anyone find the first few days of the pre-op liquid diet incredibly difficult?  I started yesterday (for surgery on 4/26) and was super cranky.  I.Want.To.Chew!  I do have my calcium supplements to chew and I will be making Jell-o, but right now?  Boo!

Thanks.

I've read all the responses to what I'm guessing was your comment in the Over 50 BMI forum about your severe GERD and the VSG, and I do not see anyone slamming or criticizing you.

I think you might be internalizing some of the comments.  People are trying to help you.  People comment in different ways.  Hearts and flowers are nice, but not always the best way to express an opinion.  I prefer brutal honesty when I post or ask for advice.  YMMV.

I suggest that you let it go and take the comments in the spirit in which they were intended - concern that you're having a VSG and suffer from severe GERD.  If no one cared, no one would comment.

We are all adults here and can make our own decisions.  We can also take or dismiss any advice given to us.  

"Oderint Dum Metuant"    Discover the joys of the Five Day Meat Test!

Height:  5'-7"  HW: 449  SW: 392  GW: 179  CW: 220

Maria27
on 4/13/16 4:58 pm - Chicago, IL
RNY on 03/17/15

I am sorry that you felt criticized. People on here are generally only trying to help, but it can be difficult to know how an online post will come across to another person. I encourage you to take all advice with a grain of salt, and to assume that people have the best intentions. A lot is lost through online communication because you cannot read the poster's tone or body language. The community on this site really is great if you are willing to listen to them. The advice of those who have actually gone through the experience is a valuable addition to the advice that you receive from your medical team. Good luck.

Height: 5'5" HW: 290 Consultation Weight: 276 SW: 257 CW: 132

Chelsey1127
on 4/13/16 5:19 pm

I totally know what you're feeling! Surgery for me on the 18th and that's all I want to do, is chew. I've just started chewing my applesauce and even protein shakes just to keep me "active." I didn't even think that was going to be an issue until having been on the liquid diet for over a week. I put ice in my water and that's been helping me curb the distraction of wanting to chew. I've told everyone I'm hangry and if they know whats good for them, not to talk about nor bring food near me ;) (jokingly of course) 

Good luck!!!!

Jenb1202
on 4/14/16 10:33 am

Haha!  Yesterday someone was talking about how a friend of theirs always brought the best things to an event or potluck.  I had to interrupt her, asking her to please not discuss food, especially not delicious sweets.  I know this will pass, but being only 2 days into the liquid diet I couldn't handle it.  She's a good friend, so took no offense by it - we even laughed :D

I'll be making Knox Blox (pre-Jell-O jigglers, but thicker and I like them better) later today.  Since I'm allowed to have Jell-o I'm going to take full advantage!  I also have broth for when I want a different flavor.  I keep reminding myself that it's for "the greater good."  LOL

on 4/14/16 2:14 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

Make sure you keep this to good friends only. We see a LOT of people here who alienate friends and family with this sort of thing (usually unknowingly) :)

Jenb1202
on 4/14/16 3:04 pm

I'm glad to hear you say this.  I've been hush-hush about it - not because I'm ashamed of it (I mean, I'm ashamed about how I look now; this can only be an improvement), but because I don't want everyone being the "food police" or telling me what to do, etc.

on 4/14/16 3:11 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

Absolutely. Just remember that it works both ways! Most of us (eventually) get good at slipping our new lifestyles in alongside "normal" people, but others can get frustrated and feel you're policing THEIR food when you try to force them to accommodate you.