At the beginning of my journey ... which surgery?

Talkingmountain
on 4/7/16 6:27 am
RNY on 12/28/15

I am one of the fortunate ones who dumps, though oils affect me more than sugar.  Yet my colleague, who had surgery by the same doctor, does not and never has.

The point is, do not make your decision on dumping.  As someone else pointed out, only 30% of people dump at all, and even for those that do, it often goes away after the first year or so.

I chose RNY (and was steered toward it by my surgeon's team as well) for several reasons.  In case it helps you, here are some of them:

• It usually cures, and at the least does not worsen, acid reflux (GERD).  VSG on the other hand can cause it in people who didn't have it before.  I had GERD (no longer :) ) and wanted to get off my GERD medicine because it contributes to osteoporosis, which I have.
  • RNY has been around longer and has lots of studies showing its safety & effectiveness.  That also means that surgeons have had decades more experience perfecting their technique.
  • Total weight loss tends to be a few lbs more with RNY than VSG.  Since, like you, I "only" had about 150 lbs to lose, I wanted the most weight loss possible.  The less you have to lose, the more every lb counts.
  • It's my impression from reading lots of support posts that RNY rarely results in outcomes like explosive diarrhea, whereas VSG seems to.
  • I was a serious "sweets-a-holic" so even the chance that dumping might occur was a plus.  But it was only a small part of the decision.

Ht 5'6" | HW 278 | SW 264, Size 28+/4-5X | GW 135ish, Size 10-12 | CW 132, Size 8-10
Surg Date 12/28/15 | NSV Goal: Go down slide w/kid! 

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 4/7/16 12:31 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

This is a good question for a surgeon-- NOT a dietician. Surgeons have seen thousands of patients and their outcomes and can make suggestions based on your medical situation, needs, and goals.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

seattledeb
on 4/7/16 11:15 pm, edited 4/7/16 4:15 pm

Things to consider.

Do you have GERD?

Do you have a strong family history of diabetes?

Are you willing to take vitamins for the rest of your life?

Do you require pain medication? Are you on any time release meds?

So much to think and research. All these surgeries are for life.

Good luck,

Deb T.

Vibiana
on 4/8/16 2:36 pm
VSG on 10/03/16

I met with the surgeon today and I'm going with the sleeve as I originally planned. I appreciate the input from the RNY folks. I look forward to learning more here. I plan to read the forums this weekend and get myself familiar with the different issues. :)

Thanks to all!   

trella72
on 4/8/16 4:59 pm
VSG on 04/18/16

Congratulations on your new journey!!  It's def not a decision made lightly!  I just completed Day 1 of my Liver Reduction Diet and heading for surgery on day 10!!  Also doing the sleeve!  You got this!!! ;)