I am interested in taking up running...how did you get started?

tammym
on 4/5/16 9:39 pm - Portland, OR
Revision on 01/16/12

I had RNY 1/2012. I started running with a phone app called "Couch to 5k" I am 15lbs below goal. 

I started running according to the ap- 30 seconds at a time, and within a few days, my shins hurt SO BAD I gave it up. Then I went to a running store and had running shoes fitted for my body type. They didn't discriminate against a short flabby middle aged woman wanting to start learning to run and helped me find exactly what I needed.

I started the program again, and this time I had some mild soreness but no pain. I signed up for a 5k race on Thanksgiving and finished the app training just in time for the race. I made a spreadsheet and calculated a training schedule for a 10k, a half marathon, and a marathon, and signed up for races at the times that I would be at the right distance in my training. The races were very expensive to register for, so I was VERY careful to keep up with my training schedule and not to get injured. 

I signed up on NIKE RUN website to track my distance, and downloaded their ipod app. It was free. The website also tracked my speed per mile and my routes, which was very handy. The website was also available to sync with my phone and facebook and would tell me how much distance I had ran during each run and how much was left. My facebook friends could even click "like" on facebook when I was out running and I could hear a cheer. I loved that. It had some other features too like setting your music up to pace your runs and such. 

My advice, get some shoes professionally fitted FIRST. Then get a phone or ipod app that will get you to the goal you want to reach! There are Many apps to choose from. Many are free but you will be using it for over a year, so it might be worth it to pay for a decent one that wont make you want to give up.

I ran a thousand miles in a year! I finished a marathon! I have since stopped running, as my goal was to finish a marathon. 

highlandbear
on 4/8/16 4:27 am - Canada

Start on a track. much softer and not so hard on the body joints. try running for 2 minutes and walk a minute. do this for about 30 to 45 minutes for the first few times out and no more than twice a week. after week at 2 and 1 and you feel good than try 5 and 1 and build up. work on the track and once you feel good than take it to the sidewalks or you might want to try trail. I started out this way with a trainer and have done marathons and this year training for a 50k race