I am interested in taking up running...how did you get started?

bruindiva92
on 4/4/16 12:24 pm
Revision on 03/29/17

The only running I've done is to get across the street as to not get hit by traffic!

However, I am interested in running....I am a walker, love to walk 4-5 miles, 3 times a week.  

For the runners, how did you get started?  How many times a week?  How far during your run?  Did you run/walk?  I have access to a track and grass at work.  Don't know if my knees can handle the pavement.

I need some suggestions/insight.

Thanks a million!

stacyrg
on 4/4/16 12:36 pm
VSG on 05/12/14

I started running by using Jeff Galloway's Run/Walk/Run program.  I found it was a great program for beginners and I used it (and still do to some extent) for my first half marathon.  People also use the Couch to 5K program which gives you a good base.  Either program will get you on a schedule.  I think I started with 2x a week and worked my way up to 3x a week.  Now how many times I run/how often depends on what I'm training for.  I never thought I'd run and while I don't LOVE it, I love it and how it makes me feel.  Good luck!

Han Shot First
on 4/4/16 12:38 pm - Flint, MI
RNY on 10/06/14

I picked up one foot, then the other!

But seriously, for me, I used a C25K app, and it worked well for me.  I'm still in the beginning phases of being a runner, but I did finish my last 5K without walking.  The apps scale you up over 8 weeks or so.

--

150 lost and maintaining!

CerealKiller Kat71
on 4/4/16 1:27 pm
RNY on 12/31/13

I used the Couch to 5K app -- and once I ran 5K, I promptly quit running.  

I enjoy walking but never loved running.  I just wanted to prove to myself that I could do it. 

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

Steph Meat Hag
on 4/4/16 3:09 pm - Dallas , TX
VSG on 03/14/16 with

Couch to 5K will show you a slow stead build up of walking, jogging, running over time.  The app will talk to you over your music.  It's gotten a lot of my fiends up and out of the house.

Age:40|Height: 5'9"|Lap Band 2/11/08 |Revision VSG 3/14/16

The cake is a lie, but Starbucks is not.

https://fivedaymeattest.com

Pianolover
on 4/4/16 3:11 pm

You don't need to make it so complicated...one day last summer, on my regular morning walk i figured I could probably start running so I did. Obviously I couldn't go as far or as fast as I do now, but as with anything, you work up to it. For me I just set small milestones, I set my sight on a certain car/house/mailbox/whatever and told myself I have to at least run to that before I can walk again. I still do that, but my endurance/stamina for running has increased...I signed up for a 10K and jogged almost the first 5 miles without stopping!

The thing I love about running is it doesn't really require much of any knowledge or equipment to do it, you just put on clothes and go! Don't put so much thought into it, just do it....and as far as your knees go, listen to your body and rest when you need to rest.

HW: 291 --- SW (3/10/15): 264 --- CW (12/31/15) 153

supershopper
on 4/4/16 5:42 pm

I started about 1 1/2 months after surgery with the c25k app. I'm on week 8 and my first 5k race is May 1.

HW 305 SW 278 Surgery weight 225 GW 160 LW: 118.8

RNY 12/15/2015,

GB removal 09/2016,

Twisted bowel/hernia repair 08/2017

M1 Dec 2015-13.0, M2-7.0, M3-14.5, M4-9.4, M5-7.1, M6 9.8, M7-7.6 ,M8- 7.6, M-9 5.5, M10-6.4, M11- 2.2, M12 Dec 2016- 5.8

(deactivated member)
on 4/5/16 5:21 am

For me it was many years ago before apps etc. I started out bu walking 1/2 block and then joggling 1/2 a block. Got used to the that. Then I jogged one side of the side block and walked the next. Hated it at first but kept on moving. Tried adding a little speed before I cut out the walking part. Eventually I got up to 2 miles every morning and 3 on weekend mornings. I have NEVER felt as vibrant and alive as I did when I was doing that. Life got in the way when I was widowed and I stopped running. Now 30 yrs later I walk at least 5 miles a day partly as a walk but a lot of that is just living life on a big piece of property. After starting to losing over 50 lbs and being used to the walking I have recently started little bursts of jogging again.

Good luck and I hope you find you enjoy your running.

(deactivated member)
on 4/5/16 9:43 am

I will be 49 this year. I considered to start running. I am able to walk 4 miles at a shot. I decided I didn't want to damage my knees. So I keep on walking. 

I am just saying what is best for me. It may not be right for someone else. 

michellemj
on 4/5/16 9:48 am

I highly recommend the Galloway Run/walk/run program, esp bc you love to walk. Start with running for 30sec. and then walk for a minute. and just alternate. Once 30sec of running becomes easy, run for 30sec/walk for 30sec. and then increase your running time.

also, NEVER EVER estimate the power of a highly supportive sports bra. That's one area where you just don't want to go cheap.