International travel

Smile_and_nod
on 3/28/16 11:04 pm
VSG on 01/18/16

Hey guys just wondering if any has had experienced travelling after surgery. I'm 2.5 months out (down 44lbs) and next month I will be in Mexico for a trip and then China for three weeks. I'm thinking bringing protein powder to mix will be my best bet to stay on the diet but was wondering if anyone had other experience or advice.  Any food suggestions would be helpful I want to stay on tract. 

jenorama
on 3/29/16 8:39 am - CA
RNY on 10/07/13

I went to China for work 6 months after my surgery. I brought Quest bars, jerky and nuts to have with me at all times. On the plane, I was traveling business class so I was fed and I just ate the meaty bits of what was given and passed on the ice cream sundae. In China, I was at a business hotel, so there was no problem getting Western food. They had a great breakfast with the regular stuff available. I usually got a bit of bacon and egg. Dinners on that trip were out with work colleagues, but ordering something I could eat wasn't a problem. 

I was in Shanghai, so there was plenty of Western stuff available. Where are you going?

Jen

Smile_and_nod
on 3/29/16 9:16 am
VSG on 01/18/16

I'm going to the Guizhou Province but not sure which city yet. It's a mission trip. I just purchased a bunch of quest bars online to bring with my. I'm really excited about the trip but I want to continue to loose weight too. 

Haha I'm not going to have access to a scale and that kinda freaks me out! 

jenorama
on 3/29/16 1:47 pm - CA
RNY on 10/07/13

Well, you're in that phase where it's pretty much physically impossible for you to NOT lose weight as long as you don't do things like drink exclusively milkshakes or graze constantly.  :D  Stick to your plan and I'm sure you'll be fine.  Have a fun, safe trip.

Jen

Kathy S.
on 3/29/16 8:50 am - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

Hi 

How exciting to be traveling to new places.  If you have not done so, be sure and post this on your surgery type forum.  Walk, walk, walk to take in the new surroundings 

Vertical Sleeve Gastrectomy Forum (VSG)

HW:330 - GW:150 - MW:118-125

RW:190 - CW:130

acbbrown
on 3/29/16 9:05 am - Granada Hills, CA

I heard someone talk about travel and what she said was really touching - she said even though the food she was offered/had access to was NOT "her food" - she utilized all the tools she had - made the best choice out of what was offered, watched her portion size, only ate at meal times and only enough to satisfy her. She skipped the indulgent desserts and other local goodies. She said her time in India was about the experience and not about the food. She said she came back after 3-4 weeks exactly the same weight.

just thought I'd share. Sometimes you won't have access to your normal foods but you can make the most out of the situation. 

www.sexyskinnybitch.wordpress.com - my journey to sexy skinny bitch status

11/16/12 - Got my Body by Sauceda - arms, Bl/BA, LBL, thigh lift. 

HW 420/ SW 335 /CW 200    85 lbs lost pre-op / 135 post op

~~~~Alison~~~~~

Smile_and_nod
on 3/29/16 9:19 am
VSG on 01/18/16

I agree. It is about the experience and not the food but my fear is not loosing weight or maintaining it. I've worked hard to get where I am and I still have so much more to go. 

NYMom222
on 3/29/16 5:47 pm
RNY on 07/23/14

Not that I was traveling Internationally, but my last trip to AZ for a wedding I brought a shaker bottle and powdered protein. I knew I would be in a hotel and hadn't rented a car where I could go out buy some premier or something. I was really glad I did... even though I had no idea what my food choices were going to be each day, being able to mix up some protein and water(even though I personally find it not the best tasting) and knowing I was getting my protein in... made me feel better about my unsure scattered eating.

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save