Switching insurance co. and most say they won't cover surgery

lisagrahn
on 3/27/16 5:39 pm

Hi, I just moved to a new state so I am switching my insurance coverage. All the plans in the Marketplace say they do not cover gastric surgeries. So my question is... do they all say that and you have to prove that you need it for them to cover it or is that the companies in my area just don't cover it? I really want to pursue it but this seems discouraging.

Thanks for any help

Lisa

hollykim
on 3/27/16 8:11 pm - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On March 28, 2016 at 12:39 AM Pacific Time, lisagrahn wrote:

Hi, I just moved to a new state so I am switching my insurance coverage. All the plans in the Marketplace say they do not cover gastric surgeries. So my question is... do they all say that and you have to prove that you need it for them to cover it or is that the companies in my area just don't cover it? I really want to pursue it but this seems discouraging.

Thanks for any help

Lisa

certain states have opted out of covering bariatric surgery. Your state is apparently one of those. 

Even medical necessity won't make them cover it.

Sharon SW-267
GW-165 CW-167 S.

on 3/28/16 5:18 pm - PA
RNY on 12/22/14

Check your old state if you are still in the process of moving - get it done before you move if you can.  Do not reply here, just take the idea if you can use it.  

List by state - may not be totally current - so check your states.

http://www.ncsl.org/research/health/aca-and-health-mandates- for-obesity.aspx

Sharon

lisagrahn
on 3/28/16 5:46 pm

Thanks for info...how disappointing! So, now everyone in those states have to self pay? Wow, what a shattering thing for me.  Also, my old state doesn't either apparently.

hollykim
on 3/29/16 7:15 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On March 29, 2016 at 12:46 AM Pacific Time, lisagrahn wrote:

Thanks for info...how disappointing! So, now everyone in those states have to self pay? Wow, what a shattering thing for me.  Also, my old state doesn't either apparently.

yes, if they need wls.