Bummer

joanne0658
on 3/27/16 1:08 pm

if you end up feeling so inclined to share on facebook . . maybe include the following disclaimer: "any and all negative comments will be deleted along with the poster of same.  have a swonderful day".  

true friends rejoice in your triumphs, as i'm sure you would for them.  btw, congrats on your present and continued success in ALL YOU DO!

Age: 60 | Height: 5'3.5 | Surgery Date: 07/24/15 | Starting Weight: 292 | Surgery Weight: 267 | Goal Weight:150 | Current Weight: 149 | WL so far: 143 lbs

supershopper
on 3/27/16 3:46 pm

I have only told a couple of my friends recently and I'm over 3 months.

I didn't want the drama. Once I'm over 100 pounds lost I might update my facebook photo from mrs Piggy to my actual self.

HW 305 SW 278 Surgery weight 225 GW 160 LW: 118.8

RNY 12/15/2015,

GB removal 09/2016,

Twisted bowel/hernia repair 08/2017

M1 Dec 2015-13.0, M2-7.0, M3-14.5, M4-9.4, M5-7.1, M6 9.8, M7-7.6 ,M8- 7.6, M-9 5.5, M10-6.4, M11- 2.2, M12 Dec 2016- 5.8

CMR1075
on 3/27/16 3:54 pm
VSG on 01/15/16

Yeah I have only told a choice few and some family members. The friends I have told though, 3 of them had the surgery so I knew they were going to be on my side regardless. My future mother in law came into town Wed and hasn't seen me for over a month and the first thing out of her mouth was you're gonna lose too much weight. Um, isn't that the point?? lol. She kept commenting on it and it started to make me uncomfortable, like I should be ashamed of my surgery choice. But this is the kind of negativity I don't want to hear from others and had to remind myself that this was the best decision for MYSELF. I was on the road to death with my unhealthy body weight and multiple medical issues, so I shouldn't feel like it was a poor choice. 

I am grateful that OH exists so that I can share my journey here with others.....and vent at times ;) lol. 

joanne0658
on 3/27/16 4:45 pm

people, some unfit people even, had bundles to say . . .  .from "what will i do with saggy skin" to "i have a friend who did it and they gained all of their weight back" . . . to the saggy skin thing i replied i was seriously going to ask them to help me pay for plastic surgery since they're so concerned. . . . and to the gain comments (atleast 4) i said "and how is this encouraging?" now those very same people are quite complimentary.  

i can breathe now. i feel great (mostly).  i can stand when doing all work or home tasks.  people can say whatever they want because i am so happy.  yes, there's sagging but i'm not done losing.  yes, when losses slow down i have brief moments of concern, only to find i need to get a size smaller.  the best part is . . my being happy reflects back to others like a shield against any negativity.  

hang tight and enjoy this ride.  it's so fun to be able to finally see food as my son does . . . nourishment, not a life event.

jo

Age: 60 | Height: 5'3.5 | Surgery Date: 07/24/15 | Starting Weight: 292 | Surgery Weight: 267 | Goal Weight:150 | Current Weight: 149 | WL so far: 143 lbs

dog_hair_dinner
on 3/29/16 9:35 am
RNY on 03/01/16

>My future mother in law came into town Wed and hasn't seen me for over a month and the first thing out of her mouth was you're gonna lose too much weight. Um, isn't that the point??

omg I got that from my mother in law just yesterday.  It's like...I'm still over 300lbs and you're worried.  

CMR1075
on 3/29/16 8:39 pm
VSG on 01/15/16

Lol I know, right! I wanted to be like "duh"...but I had to be respectful. 

Chris "Thick-to-Fit" T.
on 3/28/16 6:04 am - FL
VSG on 05/26/16

What makes you not want to post? Do you not want people to know about WLS? If so, dont mention it. You should absolutely post about having lost weight. No one will say anything negative about you having done that. They would only squawk about you having WLS (maybe). If anyone asks, tell them controlled diet and hard work :) Its the truth, after all.

I love posting on FB or IG about weight loss and pictures. It also helps others get motivated or see its possible.

CMR1075
on 3/28/16 6:22 am
VSG on 01/15/16

I guess I am most worried about the negative comments of WLS, so it's why I choose not to share it with too many. A friend of mine is in college to become a nutritionist and he started questioning me after I posted a healthy meal my brother made specifically for me (he owns a pizza place and I can't eat the pizza so he made a chicken and veggies dish). I had mentioned in my post that I was on a strict diet so my friend started asked all sorts of questions on my post so I went and private messaged him instead about my WLS. His exact words "I don't condone your choice, but I guess it's too late for that now." Then he started to ask did I try this, did I try that? REALLY! It was really discouraging to say the least. I guess I shouldn't let one person ruin it for me though. My intentions were to tell people diet and exercise anyway when asked (since that isn't a lie lol) because my best friend who had the surgery done over a year ago said people will get jealous of the weight loss and say stupid stuff, so it's better not to tell them it's from WLS. I guess when it all comes down to it, it's no ones damn business how or why I lost the weight. If they are a true friend they will be happy that I am losing it and that I am getting healthier. 

Chris "Thick-to-Fit" T.
on 3/28/16 6:26 am - FL
VSG on 05/26/16

I wouldnt let it deter you from sharing. Its good for your confidence. Maybe unfriend that person? Or make so they cant see your posts.. They could pop up on something and even make mention of it. I dont even have intentions of telling most of my family i'm having the surgery.

Deanna798
on 3/28/16 9:58 am
RNY on 08/04/15

I had surgery in August and didn't feel the need to post it publicly.  I did post it on New Years day because I was so excited.  Honestly, I have had nothing but positive feedback.  I'm sure there are people who think I am crazy for doing it, but I am still out there showing that I've lost 114lbs and feeling fantastic.  

If anyone ever wants to tell me that I took the easy way out I'll invite them to follow my eating plan for a week.  No bread or pasta, no refined sugar.  I eat dense protein and low carb veg with very little extras.  I also stay at around 800 calories a day.  If they think that's easy, then they are full of ****  

Age: 44 | Height: 5' 3" | Starting January 2015: 291 | RNY 8/4/15 with Dr. Arthur Carlin| Goal: 150

Listen to advice and accept discipline, and at the end you will be counted among the wise. ~Proverbs 19:20