Lapband adjustment advice

Bel1995
on 3/22/16 4:27 am

Hi everyone

Would you please share your adjustment experiences. 

I was banded in Jan this year. My first fill was 2ml and second fill 1ml. After my 2nd fill several hours later i started to be unable to keep fluid down The next day i had to have an unfil of .7ml due to not being able to keep water down. Had a glass of water and it returned not as bad though and i had only been on liquids no solids. Then a few days later another unfill of .3ml was needed and i couldnt drink so they removed another .3ml 5 mins later. 

I am feeling hungry now its the next day and will need a fill in the future but feel fightened as it was scary not being able to keep fluids down.  I have had soft foods and liquid and feel no restrictions st this level 4cc 

I now have 4cc in my band. It is a small APS  band and holds max 10cc. 

Please would people share experience.  

crystal M.
on 3/22/16 8:34 am - Joliet, IL

Everyone is different.  Some have a very low tolerance to restriction and have issues when there is any kind of restriction or no restriction at all. 

I was on the other end of the spectrum and had to wait for many fills for any kind of feeling of restriction.  I have a high tolerance to restriction and at first I thought this was a curse because it took over a year of fills for me to even feel like I had a band.  But in hind sight I am very lucky because I have had no issues with my band and have great success. 

My advise is to take it slow, be patient and error on the side of less is best, you don't want your band too tight.  And if you have any problems at all go straight to your doctor I have heard to many people that wait too long and they regretted it.   

chassibi
on 3/22/16 12:36 pm

I did not succeed with the lapband, mine slipped and I had to have it removed.

I just want to warn you to go slow, and if you have any issues, tell your doctor. I was very sensitive to fills. My surgeon would put in 0.5cc and I would end up meeting him 20 hours later somewhere to withdrawl it due to not keeping down fluids. This continued for some time on this sort of a cycle, with one period where I did well and lost about 65 pounds.

Eventually, I developed horrible GERD and had trouble keeping down solid foods, lots of vomiting. My band slipped in 2013, now I am going back for the RNY in June.

I'm not trying to talk bad about the band, just warning you to take it slow and let your surgeon know if you have any issues.

Consult Weight:276/Surgery Day Weight: 241.6 /Goal Weight: 150

GeekMonster, Insolent Hag
on 3/22/16 1:19 pm - CA
VSG on 12/19/13

You might want to post your question on the LAP BAND forum to get more responses.  Good luck!

"Oderint Dum Metuant"    Discover the joys of the Five Day Meat Test!

Height:  5'-7"  HW: 449  SW: 392  GW: 179  CW: 220