Large hiatal hernia/ bypass

Melanie84
on 3/21/16 11:11 pm

Hello everyone,

im new here to the group! I'm scheduled for gastric bypass with a large hiatal hernia repair with 30% of my stomach in a chest cavity near heart/left lung. 

my surgeon is not certain he can do the bypass until he gets inside, he said my stomach could be too "angry" and scared. I'm hoping someone else who has had this situation could give me some insight. As I'm very nervous, this is requiring two surgeons and possibility of more complications than a normal baratric routine. 

peachpie
on 3/22/16 3:42 am - Philadelphia, PA
RNY on 04/28/15

I had a "small" hiatal hernia repaired during my bypass. It wasn't detected until they started the surgery, it was fixed at that moment. 

Is your surgeon saying he may have to wait to do the bypass or may switch to the sleeve? not sure why this needs two surgeons either, first I've heard that. But then, I'm not a doctor.

5'6.5" High weight:337 Lowest weight:193/31 BMI: Goal: 195-205/31-32 BMI

H.A.L.A B.
on 3/22/16 4:08 am

If your stomach is bruised - inflamed , then the doc may need to wait until it gets better then cut it. You have a good doc. Better safe than sorry.. Good luck. 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Melanie84
on 3/22/16 5:29 am

Thank you for the reply.

my first suregon I saw was November 30 I went jn for gastric sleeve, we knew there was a hernia but once he saw the size and location he discontinued the surgery. And recommended gastric bypass. Being cut open once already and now scheduled for a second time has me on edge! 

Darcy G.
on 3/22/16 5:48 am
VSG on 04/07/16

Hi Melanie,

I really have nothing to add advice-wise, but I wanted to add support and well-wishes. I can only imagine how frustrating(and scary!) this must be for you, but I do agree that it can only be a good thing that the surgeon isn't going to soldier on through the procedure if it would make recovery harder on you. It's a very dismal kind of silver-lining, but his/her care and dedication to what's best for you is at least a little comforting.

Good luck!

H.A.L.A B.
on 3/22/16 9:14 am

ouch... hugs.. and good luck...

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Melanie84
on 3/24/16 4:42 pm

Thanks again for the well wishes and comments back. Much appreciated! I had an appointment today with my family physician who told me, there is a chance my hernia could rupture after both surgeries have been completed and collapse my left lung.  I'm hoping somone on here will have prior experience, with large hernia on/near lung.