Night shift

Smile_and_nod
on 3/21/16 1:23 pm
VSG on 01/18/16

I work 12 hour night shifts and at first right after surgery I was fine and didn't have any problems but recently (now 2.5 months post op!) I am finding that I am so much more hungrier at work (partly because I know I am a lot more active) I have been bringing snacks and various protein options for work and I am sticking to the diet... however, I have noticed that since this has started my weight loss has slowed dramatically. During days or when I switch back to day shifts (I work two jobs full times nights and part time days) I am hardly ever hungry and have to remind myself to eat and drink water. I wish I could switch to full time days but that is not an option. Any way, I was wondering how other people are handling working nights and if you have noticed that your cravings/hunger is harder to control on nights. During the days and my days off even after working out I hardly have any cravings but night shift I want everything. Thankfully I still cant tolerated a lot of textures so I have that going for me but I fear if I don't get this under control I might start having problems. 

I did add scant amount of caffeine back in but I have cut that back out because I wasn't sure if it was adding to the problem. It does not seem to have been it. I think my solution might be to work days but I cant right now. 

H.A.L.A B.
on 3/21/16 2:33 pm

I eat when I am hungry and don't when I am not.  Because I am not hungry in the mornings - I don't eat until lunch or after.  I learn not to force the food unless my BS is dropping or I really need my proteins. 

but when I get hungry - I eat mostly proteins and fat.  then maybe some veggies... or a few fruits... 

Real hunger...vs Head hunger  - real - when I eat my meat and veggies, even though I rather have the chips... ; head hunger - is when I don't want the "chicken" and rather not eat anything than to have the "chicken"...

having good meal with you - and eating that. BTW - slider foods - like yogurt, cheese, nuts, protein bars - are not "real food"...

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Smile_and_nod
on 3/21/16 2:55 pm
VSG on 01/18/16

So I was told that you should always eat breakfast. Actually I have been so much more successful eating my first meal of the day regardless if I am hungry or not. Long term successful people have habits of always eating breakfast, checking their weight regularly, and daily exercise. Im finding though that probably because I am sleep deprived I have been much more hungry (real hunger.... not just cravings or head hunger) working nights. 

lxl_Miz_lxl
on 3/21/16 3:09 pm
VSG on 01/11/16

Most days I don't eat a traditional breakfast nor do I eat it in the morning. I usually don't eat breakfast until 10 am-ish, I have an issue with night snacking and the way I solved that was to move my 10/12 hour eating window back a little bit. 

Smile_and_nod
on 3/21/16 3:25 pm
VSG on 01/18/16

I guess by "breakfast" I mean eating within two hours of waking. Which I usually do. Pre surgery I lost 50# by eating about every two hours. So your suggestion of changing times is maybe what I need to do. I've been trying to stick to my same schedule but maybe I need to make some adjustments. 

H.A.L.A B.
on 3/21/16 3:12 pm

The breakfast thing is kind of BS... trust me... If it works for you - great...

but.. really it is an old school.. 

I am 8 years post op.. and on steroids... And I do maintain quite OK with no breakfast and very little exercise... 

exercise is good for well being..and making sure we don't lose too much muscles.. 

google IF - intermittent fasting...

it is really not when you eat - but what you eat and how much... 

I get sick when I try to eat before I am ready...I was trying to force it .. and force some more... and I was gaining... then I did some research - eat when I am hungry... good quality food... and lost most of my regain...

I am slowly getting my last 4 lbs off... and I am currently size 6-8... top 8-12... (boobs)... so really not that bad...  

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Grim_Traveller
on 3/22/16 4:34 am
RNY on 08/21/12
On March 21, 2016 at 9:55 PM Pacific Time, Smile_and_nod wrote:

So I was told that you should always eat breakfast. Actually I have been so much more successful eating my first meal of the day regardless if I am hungry or not. Long term successful people have habits of always eating breakfast, checking their weight regularly, and daily exercise. Im finding though that probably because I am sleep deprived I have been much more hungry (real hunger.... not just cravings or head hunger) working nights. 

Breakfast isn't magic. Lots of studies show that only the overall quantity of food makes a differance, and when you eat it matters not at all. The eating breakfast or not eating at night things are old wives tales.

Plenty of long term successful people don't eat breakfast.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

Smile_and_nod
on 3/22/16 12:14 pm
VSG on 01/18/16

Ok.... both of you don't really seem to understand my initial post. I appreciate the responses but they are kinda beside the point.

Sharon SW-267
GW-165 CW-167 S.

on 3/27/16 12:03 pm, edited 3/27/16 5:04 am - PA
RNY on 12/22/14

what is your wt loss per week dropping off to? 

Remember, 2-3 pounds a week is a big amount long term but after 5 pounds a week loss at first for some people, it doesn't seem like much. i lost 10-12 per month.  i adds up over a year.

i often was thirsty not hungry, so i drink first between meals if i think that i am hungry.

i am not working nights, but generally sleep disruption increases stress, cordisol. and hunger.  you are not crazy for hinking you r hungrier.  it seems you have developed some strategies to cope.  its not easy   hang in there

Sharon

NYMom222
on 3/21/16 5:28 pm
RNY on 07/23/14

I feel your pain. I worked nights for 2 years and I said never again.

While someone else's end of day is 10 PM yours maybe 8am. So figure your eating 'day' and figure out your food budget and how to space it out.

I too rarely eat a traditional breakfast. Tea, coffee, water and usually a protein drin****il lunch. You have to figure what works for you.

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save