Off the wagon.......

Candied
on 3/20/16 6:55 pm

I desperately need some advice: I will be coming up on my six year anniversary from my WLS. I initially lost 92 lbs!!! However, nursing school has took a heavy toll on me and my eating habits. I didn't just fall off the wagon...I fell under the wagon!! I am almost positive I have stretched out my pouch. I have gained almost half of my lost weight back and I am starving ALL OF THE TIME!!! Does anyone have a similar experience or ANY advice??? Thanks so much!!

Candi 

CerealKiller Kat71
on 3/20/16 7:24 pm
RNY on 12/31/13

I don't have personal experience, but you are not alone.  I know a lot of people here get support from this forum Back On Track Together.  I hope it helps you to get back where you want to be.

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

Candied
on 3/20/16 7:56 pm

Thanks so much Kat! I feel like this is the place I need to be to get back on track! Thanks for your kind post!!!

Candi 

rocky513
on 3/20/16 9:44 pm - WI

The first thing you need to do is ditch the carbs (breads, pasta, rice, crackers, cereal, sugar, cakes, potatoes, etc).  Eating simple carbs will actually increase your hunger and cravings.  It will be white knuckle for a few weeks, but once you detox off the carbs you will not be so hungry and the cravings will stop.

Start eating dense protein (beef, chicken, pork, fish, etc) and non-starchy veggies only.  This will kick start the weight loss.  

After awhile you can add fruit.  Limit fruit to one serving per day (and keep in mind that a serving is 4-5 strawberries or 1/2 apple).  The body reads fruit as sugar and it will stop or slow your weight loss.

Drink at least 64 ounces of no calorie fluids daily.  Don't drink with your meals or for 30 minutes after.  If you drink with meals you can eat bigger servings without feeling restriction.  

You can crawl back on the wagon, but the ride will be slow going at this point.   Don't give up!

HW 270 SW 236 GW 160 CW 145 (15 pounds below goal!)

VBG Aug. 7, 1986, Revised to RNY Nov. 18, 2010

Candied
on 3/20/16 11:13 pm

Thank you so much! Excellent advice that I needed to hear!! :)

Candi 

-Cindyloo-
on 3/21/16 8:52 am, edited 3/21/16 2:05 am

I fell off the wagon for about 9 months there.  Gained 15 pounds and was wondering what the hell I was going to do.  So, I went to my general practitioner and asked her for help.  I was really unsure about asking for help.  It was like I had done this big thing and had failed somehow.  But, I put on my big-girl panties and she was really sweet about it.  After a long conversation about calorie control, we started me on Phentermine for some appetite control and I use My Fitness Pal (the app) to monitor my calories.  I lot the 15 lbs.  Then I went on to loose another 20+ pounds to get me closer to my goal.  It really is a journey.  Mine is just taking a little longer.

Candied
on 3/21/16 9:02 am

Thanks so much for sharing. I totally relate to the feeling of failure!! I guess that is what bothers me the most!! However, after the many excellent posts giving advice, I attempted today to not drink w/my meals. WOW!! I was full almost immediately & it lasted for hours!! It's so hard to believe that such a simple thing could make such a huge difference!!

It sounds like you are back on track and doing terrific!!! :)

Candi 

Sharon SW-267
GW-165 CW-167 S.

on 3/21/16 10:13 am - PA
RNY on 12/22/14

Sounds like a great start - you may also want to check back with your surgeon.  Have you been going to your annuals check-ins??

Sharon

Candied
on 3/21/16 1:23 pm

I went religiously for five years. However, I have not went this year. I know I have to go!!! They just pawned me onto a different surgeon (mine has had several promotions and doesn't hardly ever see patients). Her & I have a serious personality conflict & I absolutely hate going. I know I need to go, however!!

Candi 

Sharon SW-267
GW-165 CW-167 S.

on 3/22/16 12:59 am - PA
RNY on 12/22/14

Sounds like the perfect time to see someone else.  Call around and see if someone else will take you on as a follow-up and order your blood work.  You might want to find a dr or program that has a strong Support Group.  I'm in NJ and would recommend my Support Group, but that might not help you any if you are not nearby. 

Sharon