RNY or VGS

CerealKiller Kat71
on 3/20/16 6:26 am
RNY on 12/31/13

I think both surgeries are great.  It's sort of like asking, "Which vehicle is better -- a truck or a car?"  Well, both are great -- but if I haul a lot of stuff the sedan may not be the best option for me.  Likewise, if I've got three kids and a spouse -- the pick up may not be the best option.  Neither is better or worse -- they are just better for certain people.  

I was also a diabetic (in insulin), had high blood pressure, sleep apnea, fatty liver disease and the start of neuropathy.  My BMI was 57.5 at 347 pounds.  I did NOT suffer acid reflux nor did I have any sort of chronic pain/arthritis condition that I used NSAIDs for routinely.  

I chose to have the RNY and I have had no complications nor regrets thus far.  

I would have strongly considered the DS, however, my insurance wouldn't cover it.  You may want to research the DS if your insurance will cover that surgery.  It has the benefits of the VGS (you keep your polyric valve) and have the benefit of malabsorption (also the negatives of this) -- and it is highly effective for those of us with such high starting BMIs.  

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

H.A.L.A B.
on 3/20/16 8:21 am

Up to 2-3 years post op RNY I would be strongly abdication that.. Now 8 years later - I wish I had VSG.  

I am one of those who deals with new food allergies, IBS, and some other issues long term.  No one can tell me if RNY caused that or made what I already had worse.  

Also - at my age -55 I still needed iron infusions.  

It is easy to regain long term with eaither surgery.  Post op RNY - some food can make me very ill, so I normally don't eat that.  That includes veggies, fruits, sweets, grains, milk, cheese, etc..  But it also makes my life challenging at times.  Specially when traveling or eating out. 

I would gladly give up my size 6-8 for size 12-14 if that would offer me better quality of life.  

There are a lot of people with VSG that are very successful with losing 200 or more lbs ... 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Diminishing Dawn
on 3/20/16 11:26 am - Windsor, Canada

Have you read about the duodenal switch? With your bmi, ds is a great surgery.  dsfacts.com

17+ years post op RNY. first year blog here or My LongTimer blog. Tummy Tuck Dr. Matic 2014 -Ohip funded panni Windsor WLS support group.message me anytime!
HW:290 LW:139 RW: 167 CW: 139

carofn
on 3/20/16 8:05 pm
VSG on 01/18/16

From people i know that got the RNY, they lose the weight faster. It's not a race. Your body has to adapt anyway and both surgery are very successful on people who puts the efforts. The surgery itself doesn't do it all. Just make sure that the surgery you choose correspond your needs and that you can live with the lifetime consequences.

Nicole K.
on 3/20/16 9:06 pm - Santa Monica, CA
RNY on 02/12/16

Like everyone says, DEFINITELY do your own research, my surgeon is fond of doing VGS and pushed it pretty heavily. I read a lot on both procedures and I knew RNY was definitely the better choice for me, I met with him, told him what I had found and why I thought that RNY was best and he agreed. Don't take anyone's word on what's the best for you without your own research. This isn't something I want to ever look back on and wish I had done another way. I felt the same way you did, all the before and after shots with the best results were RNY, but remember, once the weight comes off, you still have to keep it off.

Nicole 

RNY on 2/12/2016 with Dr. Kent Sasse

First consultation weight: 309  Goal weight: 150

kellogal
on 3/22/16 4:04 pm

My husband had the RNY about 9 years ago and is doing VERY well. I had the VGS almost 4 years ago and am also doing very well. (He has lost 120 pounds and I have lost 100 pounds.)

I personally like the VGS because there are less restrictions, but of course, you have to decide what will be the best TOOL for you.

My BMI was 36 I believe, when I started. It is now impossible for me to overeat! It still amazes me how little I need to survive. 

Good luck to you! And like the others have said, please keep us posted.  :)

Batwingsman
on 3/22/16 7:51 pm, edited 3/22/16 12:54 pm - Garland, TX

Dang, am I the only one to jump in here with the DS?   Statistically, it has the greatest % of EWL and for keeping it off the best, of the 3 major "permanent" types of WLS.     It is esp. the choice for those patients who are "super-obese" (i.e. BMI of 60+), like I was and you are close to being.  I was also a bad Type II diabetic like you, and after surgery was in complete remission.  Only in the last couple of years or so (I'm almost 10 years out) do I have to take a single Metformin/Glucophage pill in the a.m. to keep my A1cs below 6.0..      

Frank talk about the DS / "All I ever wanted to be was thin, like that Rolling Stones dude ... "

HW/461 LW/251 GW/189 CW/274 (yep, a DS semi-failure - it happens :-( )

Loveimoe
on 3/23/16 9:51 am - Leesburg, VA

I just scheduled my surgery date, I am having the rny. My doctor and nutrionist both told me that there really isn't any more complications with rny than the others. And fully reversable . The main things are eating really slowly,  and not drinking during meals. And will take vitamins for the rest of my life. I personally cannot wait to have the surgery.  Unfortunately I have to wait till July for insurance reasons. 

I wish you the best of luck. Being thin will be a new experience 

hipswishingvinegarball
on 3/23/16 11:48 am

Well, studies show that the sleeve and RNY have similar weight loss at 5 years out, but as others have mentioned, there is the extra of taking vitamins, and increased dumping or reactive hypoglycemia with RNY. 

With your BMI and diabetes, I'd go for the surgery that best resolves the t2 diabetes and is most successful for BMIs over 50 (actually, it's most successful for weight loss, maintenance of loss, and resolution of co-morbidities for all BMIs, according to studies), which is the DS. The main drawback is that you must take supplements, but possibly more than with RNY. Not negotiable.

At the very least, I'd get the sleeve, so there is the opportunity to upgrade to the DS if necessary, although it's not as good as a one-time surgery. 

MTS31801
on 3/23/16 12:15 pm

Thank Hipswing. This is why I would rather go for the DS surgery. I don't want to have to go back and have a revision done several years down the road. If I have to be in pain I want it done and over with. Chances of going down the bariatric road twice is not a comfortable feeling for me. If I'm to do this then I want it done and over with. I know there will be skin surgery after the weight comes off, but I don't think that is as evasive as removal of stomach tissue and intestinal switching. This is just my opinion. ð??'