Hello! I am a new member considering surgery.

ErinMolloyJelley
on 3/18/16 10:24 am

Hello! I'm new here I have been advised by my doctors to consider bariatric surgery. I am 5'1 and currently 275lbs. I have multiple hernias along an old incision line (pancreatic surgery) and was told that without drastic weight loss, they will not be able to be successfully fixed. I am strongly considering having the surgery since the weight is having very strong adverse effects on my overall heath (Diabetes, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, fatty liver, pain, fatigue and over all poor health) but I have a LOT of questions and concerns! I have an appointment to consult with Dr. Valeriu Andrei in West Orange NJ (associated with St. Barnabas hospital in NJ) this Wed.

I came here to get insight from those of you who have been through it. What do you wish someone would have told you before your surgery? What questions should I ask the surgeon Wed. to help me make my decision? Anything else you think I should Know? All input is welcome and appreciated, please and thank you!

alouisa63
on 3/18/16 11:35 am - Farmington Hills, MI
VSG on 07/30/15

Hi and welcome!   The one thing I wish someone had told me before surgery was.... I don't know!  I do know that after having it, I wish I had had it years ago.  But if I was truly honest with myself, I'm not sure years ago I would have been in the right "head place" for surgery.    I thought my life was good before I had it but after losing 100 + pounds, It has gotten SOOOOOOOO much better!  I'm doing things I never would have considered doing 100#'s ago and loving it.  Luckily for me, I hadn't developed any comorbidities (yet) but the lab work showed the numbers were rising and it would only be a matter of time.

As far as making up your mind regarding surgery - I think the only thing the doctor could help you with is which procedure would be best for you.  You have to be the one to make the ultimate decision whether to have it or not and then make the commitment to follow the plan or it just won't be successful.   Whatever you decide to do, surgery or not, I wish you the best. The decision you make will be life altering and for me, I'm glad I did it.

Starting Weight 375  SW 375 Height 5'9" 

Kathy S.
on 3/18/16 11:46 am - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

Hello ErinMolloyJelley   WELCOME TO OUR OH COMMUNITY  

We would be glad to give you our support and help in any way we can.  You didn't mention what type of surgery you were thinking of having.  Here are some links to surgery types.

Link to your surgeon's profile page, be sure and check out your fellow member reviews.

Valeriu Andrei
Valeriu E. Andrei MD Bariatric Associates 
Livingston 
Phone: 800-200-5553

Questions to ask your surgeon

Use the spy glass to the left of your user name and do a search on the different topics you are thinking about.

If you need anything else, please let us know.

Regards,

Kathy

HW:330 - GW:150 - MW:118-125

RW:190 - CW:130

ErinMolloyJelley
on 3/18/16 12:25 pm, edited 3/18/16 6:42 am

Thank you for the replies! I'm not sure which surgery the doctor will suggest, but the doctor that referred me said it will be either a gastric bypass or a sleeve, but not a lap band. I expect one might be a better choice than the other because of my history of pancreatitis, the Puesow procedure and the existing hernias. I will know more Wed.

SkinnyScientist
on 3/18/16 12:24 pm

HI!

I wish I could go back and tell myself, "Don't chicken out the first time!"

Over a course of 10 years, I went through the approval process THREE times because I thought either:1) I can lose the weight on my own and 2) this surgery is scary!!! (which it is!  In my limited lifespan most things that have the biggest rewards/payoffs require some CALCULATED risk).

So...I wish I would have done it 10 years ago. 10 years, many opportunities, my health, and thousands of dollars wasted on diets and medications for subsequent health issues WASTED. Some of the health issues from my dwaddling remain (e.g. I required back surgery because I was so obese my spine couldn't support my body. Sometimes now, thin, when I sit too long...I am very stiff and sore, like an old person and I am only 39!!!).

Dont wait..dont put it off. The most important parts are knowing what your insurance, the surgery you want, a good practioner with REALLY helpful support staff (you will see the nutritionist, surgical assistants and nurses than you will the surgeon and they will be the ones to help you when you wonder if your diet is off, can you exercise more, etc etc?).

Good luck. Dont hurry through the important stuff, but dont wait or chicken out.

RNY Surgery: 12/31/2013; 

Current weight (2/27/2015) 139lbs, ~14% body fat

Three pounds below Goal!!! Yay !  

Sharon SW-267
GW-165 CW-167 S.

on 3/18/16 4:15 pm, edited 3/18/16 9:12 am - PA
RNY on 12/22/14

Check out at least 2 other doctors.  There are plenty in NJ. Call and go to their public info sessions. Ask about their anesthesologists - insist on meeting with the anesht. before surgery to make sure you go over all your medical history and make sure you get a good one.

I used NJ Bari Center.  

If you are looking for a good overview, try this: http://drmatthewweiner.com/should-i-have-a-weight-loss-surge ry-procedure/

Then you can look at the dozens that are available thru OH.

Sharon

wandak
on 3/18/16 4:33 pm - lexington, oh
RNY on 01/05/16

I had the RNY on 1/5/16  I am down 41 pounds, I feel so much better. I would do it all over again. .

Wanda

NYMom222
on 3/18/16 5:05 pm
RNY on 07/23/14

I only went to one Dr, one seminar and was scared all the way. Couldnt believe I was actually doing it. No regrets.

Questions? Listen first and if he has a preference of one surgery over the other for you make sure you understand why. Do not do the lap band.

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

Laura in Texas
on 3/19/16 7:19 am

Your best bet in losing the weight and beating your co-morbidities is weight loss surgery. Continue to do your research and make the decision that is best for your health. You are young and have a lot of living left to do.

It took me years to make my decision. I have accomplished everything I wanted to in life except manage my weight. I was so mad at myself for not being able to do that without surgery. I finally stopped beating myself up and decided weight loss surgery was best for my health. Second to adopting my kids, it was my best decision ever. I am so thankful to have my health and my life back.

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

(deactivated member)
on 3/19/16 7:29 am

Welcome. You have found a great place to chat, ask questions and get support. There are so many people here that are happy to share. I am sure you will find lots more questions to ask after your Drs appt and lots of answers will be put forth.

It is a long and scary process but very few regret the decision. Most of  us are so glad to feel better, move better etc.

After discussing the Drs recommendation for type of surgery the next huge thing is to learn about long term diet. Surgery is not a miracle answer and to succeed you will have to commit to a lifetime of eating differently and possibly taking vitamins and other supplements each and every day. That said again there is lots of help here and oh some wonderful recipes to fit your new lifestyle.

Good luck on this new road in your life.