3 days post op

cmcgrath6
on 3/17/16 4:24 pm
RNY on 03/15/16

Hello,

I am 3 days post op from my RNY. I was discharged today with normal vitals & no fever. This afternoon, I started to feel off/not right, so i took my temp. It read 99.9 F.

My discharge instructions say to call for anything over 100 F. Should I call or does anybody have any tricks on how to lower/avoid fevers in the future? 

I'm still adjusting to my new stomach, so I'm not quite sure what is normal and whats not. 

Thanks in advance for any help :) 

-C

(deactivated member)
on 3/17/16 8:35 pm - CA

Sometimes our temps will rise, but drop again after a few hours.  You could take Tylenol to lower it.  If it goes up again and reaches 100 call your surgeon. Most Doctors consider a temp of 100.3 or above a fever, but directly after surgery anything over 100 they want to be notified of.  

Steph Meat Hag
on 3/17/16 9:18 pm - Dallas , TX
VSG on 03/14/16 with

Be sure your drinking.  I had a similar temp spike on my 3rd day.  I called a nurse friend of mine that said after sugery thing like this are somewhat normal.  To keep drinking my fluids and give it an hour or two.  Put a cool rag on your head and get outa the covers.  Hopefully it'll come down, I wouldn't take anything to mask it like Tynol but give it a short run and call if in an hour or so it dosnt move on.

Age:40|Height: 5'9"|Lap Band 2/11/08 |Revision VSG 3/14/16

The cake is a lie, but Starbucks is not.

https://fivedaymeattest.com

cmcgrath6
on 3/18/16 3:49 am
RNY on 03/15/16

Thank you so much! It did end up going down after about an hour! 

tattitude
on 3/24/16 2:02 am

Generally speaking, the medical community doesn't recommend taking an anti-pyretic (for fever such as Tylenol****il temp reaches 100.5 degrees Fahrenheit.  It is normal after your body has been through such a traumatic event as surgery and hospitalization for it to kick up your temperature as a reaction to the physiological stress.  If it lasts more than 2-3 days, or consistently stays over 100.5, call your surgeon's office.  Push fluids as much as you can tolerate, your body is working overtime to heal.  

I say generally speaking because every surgeon or doctor has their own comfort range of where they prefer their patients to be.   Look over your discharge instructions, their guidelines should be on there and when to call them.