What is your favorite calorie-counting app?

pammieanne
on 3/17/16 7:51 am - OK
RNY on 05/16/16

I need to get one on my phone, but I just don't know which is going to be the easiest... 

I'm admittingly lazy about entering new foods... prepacked stuff is easy, but how do you go about adding things like homemade meals where you have 10+ ingredients, and 6-8 servings?? (is one app easier to do this in?)

I'm pre-surgery, and need to get something on my phone now that I will use for the long haul.

Height 5'5" HW 260 SW 251 CW 141.6 (2/27/18)

RNY 5-16-16 Pre-Op 9lbs, M1-18.5lbs, M2-18.1lbs, M3-14.8lbs, M4-10.4lbs, M5-9.2lbs, M6-7lbs, M7-6.2lbs, M8-8.8lbs,M9-7.8lbs, M10-1 lb, M11-.6lbs, M12-4.4lbs

jenorama
on 3/17/16 8:25 am - CA
RNY on 10/07/13

I use the Lose It! app on my iPhone. It has a barcode scanner for packaged foods and a pretty good database of restaurants. You can create and save recipes and it's easy to add new foods. Like all apps, you should double check the accuracy against the official nutritional information on the package and correct as needed. The app will track your steps and keep track of protein, fat and carbs as well as exercise. I just use the free version, though you can upgrade to the premium version and that allows you to plan ahead. The free version will also track your weight  

A lot of people use My Fitness Pal, but I've never used it, so I don't know much about it. If you have a Fitbit, the Fitbit app also has food tracking. 

Jen

Chanti_
on 3/17/16 9:04 am - Canada
VSG on 09/24/15 with

I use My Fitness Pal.  It has a huge database of foods, although occasionally the values of carbs or cals can be wrong so double check the nutrition facts match what you are eating.

There is a tab for Recipes and another for Meals so you can store your favorites.  It also lets you copy recipes from other websites and it works out the nutritional info for you.  You can also adjust any recipe to any amount of servings, I find this helpful as my serving size has gone way down since WLS.  A recipe that would have served 4 is now usually 8-12 servings for me.

I also like that I can enter info from my phone or home computer and it syncs very quickly.

Another think I like is that if you have an activity tracker (ie Fitbit) you can sync it with the My Fitness Pal app, and it will show how many cals you have burned each day.   

Hope this helps.  My suggestion is try a couple different apps.  You will find one you like best.  

Deanna798
on 3/17/16 9:07 am
RNY on 08/04/15

My husband uses Lose It on his iphone and I use my fitness pal.  I've tried to convert him over to the dark side, but he's not having it.  both apps are free, so you should try out both and see which one you like.

Age: 44 | Height: 5' 3" | Starting January 2015: 291 | RNY 8/4/15 with Dr. Arthur Carlin| Goal: 150

Listen to advice and accept discipline, and at the end you will be counted among the wise. ~Proverbs 19:20

tonya2741
on 3/17/16 9:42 am

I use Baritastic. I like it a lot. It has trackers for weight, measurements, exercise, walking, and water, and it gives you a summary of all of your daily intake/activity at the top of the page. Plus, it has timers for when to drink after eating and for chewing. It also has a place to journal, find recipes, add progress photos, and a social network (which you can access through the app as well as Facebook). 

HW: 246; VGS: 11/23/15 Dr. Joel Sebastien; SW: 226; GW: 130; CW: 166  

"If it doesn't challenge you, it doesn't change you." Fred DeVito                 "Perhaps, this very instant is your time." Louise Bogan

"A year from now, you'll wish you had started today." Karen Lamb 

pammieanne
on 3/17/16 11:20 am - OK
RNY on 05/16/16

Thanks everyone! I think I'll download a couple of them and see what I think. I've tried Lose It a long time ago, and it's fine, but honestly, my laziness is what gets me with these apps because I tend to do most of my cooking - and most of it are made up recipes 'as I go'... throw a little of this and that in, and viola' dinner! (I'll have to get better at entering the amounts as I make it I guess)

RNY 5-16-16 Pre-Op 9lbs, M1-18.5lbs, M2-18.1lbs, M3-14.8lbs, M4-10.4lbs, M5-9.2lbs, M6-7lbs, M7-6.2lbs, M8-8.8lbs,M9-7.8lbs, M10-1 lb, M11-.6lbs, M12-4.4lbs

lykapal
on 3/17/16 11:48 am, edited 3/17/16 4:47 am
RNY on 05/16/16
On March 17, 2016 at 6:20 PM Pacific Time, pammieanne wrote:

Thanks everyone! I think I'll download a couple of them and see what I think. I've tried Lose It a long time ago, and it's fine, but honestly, my laziness is what gets me with these apps because I tend to do most of my cooking - and most of it are made up recipes 'as I go'... throw a little of this and that in, and viola' dinner! (I'll have to get better at entering the amounts as I make it I guess)

"I tend to do most of my cooking - and most of it are made up recipes 'as I go'... throw a little of this and that in, and viola' dinner!

I do the same thing! I like that I can easily type in everything into myfitnesspal (in the recipe tab) while it's cooking or while I'm eating, while the ingredients are fresh in my mind. I try to weigh the entire recipe after cooking and enter the total weight as the number servings. Then when I portion out what's on my plate I just enter the weight and it does all of the math for me. 

(For example: Entire recipe weighs 2000g, my portion weighs 200g)

I'm not sure if Lose it! does that or not. 

Another great thing about myfitnesspal, as someone else mentioned, I can log something in with my phone (either manually or with the scanner feature) and by the time I sit down to eat it's already synced to the website.

49/F 4' 11" Highest Wt. 183.8--Surgery Wt. 173.0--Current Wt. 115.2--Goal Wt. 115.0

pammieanne
on 3/17/16 1:43 pm - OK
RNY on 05/16/16
On March 17, 2016 at 6:48 PM Pacific Time, lykapal wrote:
On March 17, 2016 at 6:20 PM Pacific Time, pammieanne wrote:

"I tend to do most of my cooking - and most of it are made up recipes 'as I go'... throw a little of this and that in, and viola' dinner!

I do the same thing! I like that I can easily type in everything into myfitnesspal (in the recipe tab) while it's cooking or while I'm eating, while the ingredients are fresh in my mind. I try to weigh the entire recipe after cooking and enter the total weight as the number servings. Then when I portion out what's on my plate I just enter the weight and it does all of the math for me. 

(For example: Entire recipe weighs 2000g, my portion weighs 200g)

I'm not sure if Lose it! does that or not. 

Another great thing about myfitnesspal, as someone else mentioned, I can log something in with my phone (either manually or with the scanner feature) and by the time I sit down to eat it's already synced to the website.

Thank you! That's a great idea, I was trying to figure out how in the heck I'd do servings, when everyone eats different amounts... Perfect!

GeekMonster, Insolent Hag
on 3/17/16 11:50 am - CA
VSG on 12/19/13

My Fitness Pal.  It has a scanner feature for food labels.  You can create recipes online and it will calculate the calories and nutritional values.

"Oderint Dum Metuant"    Discover the joys of the Five Day Meat Test!

Height:  5'-7"  HW: 449  SW: 392  GW: 179  CW: 220

Neesie57
on 3/17/16 1:06 pm
VSG on 08/04/15

My Fitness Pal has worked wonders for me.  I can put in my own recipes, or it can look one up on line, if that is where you got the recipe from.  I've logged in for over 200 days in a row, and I have NEVER in my life been a good food journal enthusiast, but My Fitness Pal makes it easy for me to keep track and keep myself honest.

5' 5" tall. VSG on August 4, 2015/ Starting weight 239.9/ Surgery weight 210.9/ Current weight 137.4/ Goal weight 140/ No longer overweight, now a NORMAL weight. Now that I'm at goal, it's time to move on to maintenance!!!!!!!!