Lapband not working

sarahjaned
on 3/16/16 5:30 am

I had my lapband surgery in June 2011. It was all going great until 2 years ago. I had a fill and it was too tight. Since I had problems in the past right after a fill, I let it go over the weekend. For a couple of days, I couldn't even keep fluids down. I tried to wait it out until Monday when I could get back in, but ended up having to go to the emergency room. He removed 3cc and when I called my MD office, I was told I could not get back in for 2 months. Since then, my band has been difficult to manage, and I have been creeping back up. I just went in for a small adjustment last week, and it was tight. The MD reviewed my last upper GI and the band is positioned perfectly. When I brought up my frustration, they asked if I had considered a sleeve. Has anyone done this and found longer term success? I am beyond frustrated.

Kathy S.
on 3/16/16 8:35 am - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

Hi Sarah,

We are sorry to hear all you are going through.  Sadly, we have seen others post about the band and having a revision.  If you have not done so, check out these forums, here are the links.

LAP-BAND Forum
Revision Weight Loss Surgery Forum
Vertical Sleeve Gastrectomy Forum (VSG)

We also did a search for you using the spy glass icon in the upper right hand corner, we hope this  helps!

http://www.obesityhelp.com/search/?q=lap+band+to+vsg

Keep us posted on how it's going!

HW:330 - GW:150 - MW:118-125

RW:190 - CW:130

Steph Meat Hag
on 3/17/16 9:42 pm - Dallas , TX
VSG on 03/14/16 with

I just got a revision like your talking about.  My plastic demon always had a mind of its own.  Due to water weight changes on a monthly cycle mine would be tight or loose at random times.  I never felt like in the 8yrs I had it that I fully had control.  I lost 50lbs and then gained those pounds back.  I learned all the tricks of eating around my band as well.  If your eating mushy foods, your lean meats often have sauce or gravey, or you find that you can eat nachos all day but chicken and vegitbles give you trouble then the band might not be the best tool for you.  

I wanted VSG when I got the band but insurance wasn't going for it.  So I picked the band over RNY.  However sitting here today I can't say how well I'll do but I feel like this is what I wanted in the first place, a smaller stomach to help me restrict my total sum of food.

Age:40|Height: 5'9"|Lap Band 2/11/08 |Revision VSG 3/14/16

The cake is a lie, but Starbucks is not.

https://fivedaymeattest.com

sarahjaned
on 3/18/16 4:53 am

It seems like the sleeve may be the way to go, I don't want to do a full bypass. I'm going to see how the next 2 months go then I go back for another adjustment. I have also increased exercise, but I am completely frustrated. Thanks for the info!