Worried... Sleep consult did not go as planned!

kyhmm72
on 3/14/16 12:15 pm
RNY on 06/14/16

Thank you so much!!  I prefer to sleep on my stomach... Wonder how that will work?  Hope you don't mind if I add you as a friend so I can find you, should I need you. I greatly appreciate your time and kind words.

thallnc
on 3/14/16 1:28 pm - NC
VSG on 02/18/15

I have a couple of people that I work with that sleep on their sides/stomach and found this new mask (pillows) that they use and love. The air hose is on the top of the head instead of being connected to the front. It's called DreamWear. Take a look and definitely talk to your doctor about it. Wish I would have known about it when I had to wear a CPAP. Good luck to you!!!

http://1800cpap.com/dreamwear-nasal-cpap-bipap-mask-with-headgear-fit.aspx?utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Respironics%20-%20USA&utm_term=dreamwear&utm_content=respironics%20-%20dreamwear

Height: 5'5" HW: 278.2; SW: 268.2; CW: 175.6

pr31
on 3/15/16 10:31 am

I don't mean to leach off of someone else's post, but THANK YOU SO MUCH for this.  I've had my machine for a little over a week and have really been trying, but the nasal pillow irritates the inside of my nostrils tremendously.  They told me I had to wear it for a minimum of 4 hours a night for the insurance to cover it so I've been watching the clock and when I have my 4 hours in taking it off.  I finally called and have an appointment on Monday to get fitted for a different mask.  Hoping I have more success with that.

Talkingmountain
on 3/18/16 6:37 pm
RNY on 12/28/15

It can take some time to find the right mask. There are umpteen different variations so just don't give up. Then it takes some time just to get used to sleeping with it.

BUt it will happen as long as you are patient and don't give up. you know how it feels weird to ride in a car without your seat belt on?...in time, it will feel that strange to lie down and try to sleep without your CPAP on!

Ht 5'6" | HW 278 | SW 264, Size 28+/4-5X | GW 135ish, Size 10-12 | CW 132, Size 8-10
Surg Date 12/28/15 | NSV Goal: Go down slide w/kid! 

Talkingmountain
on 3/18/16 6:41 pm
RNY on 12/28/15

It can take some time to find the right mask. There are umpteen different variations so just don't give up. Then it takes some time just to get used to sleeping with it.

BUt it will happen as long as you are patient and don't give up. you know how it feels weird to ride in a car without your seat belt on?...in time, it will feel that strange to lie down and try to sleep without your CPAP on!

Ht 5'6" | HW 278 | SW 264, Size 28+/4-5X | GW 135ish, Size 10-12 | CW 132, Size 8-10
Surg Date 12/28/15 | NSV Goal: Go down slide w/kid! 

Hislady
on 3/14/16 2:33 pm - Vancouver, WA

Don't know if it would help but maybe try sleeping sitting up or with your head elevated. I know you said you are a tummy sleeper but sometimes we have to make ourselves change. I have lung problems and had to learn to sleep sitting up and I thought I'd never sleep that way. but I was so tired that it took no time to learn to sleep that way because I was able to actually sleep! At first I just piled up 4 or 5 pillows until a friend gave me a hospital bed. It has made all the difference in the world to be able to sleep, I'm a new person! Good luck hope things speed along for you.

G2GAWAY
on 3/15/16 12:01 am
RNY on 05/16/15

During my initial surgery consultations, it was actually recommended that I try a wedge pillow.  I bought a triangle wedge pillow (Bed Bath and Beyond) and it made a world of difference. I have pretty much stopped snoring as I have lost my weight.  

Cory

5'7" Starting Weight: 305

Current Weight: 145

NYMom222
on 3/14/16 3:13 pm
RNY on 07/23/14

Listen if she was worried you were going to die in your sleep, she wouldn't have let you leave. Like you said for 44 years your body has been compensating.... it will for a few more months. Try and look at the positive, you finally have an answer!

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

jeterway
on 3/14/16 4:16 pm

I am a stomach sleeper and used a cpap for the better part of a year.  We have a brass bed so not a solid headboard.  I used to run the tube up through the brass headboard and down on to my face.  The attachment point for the tube rotated a full 360 degrees so instead of running down from my face, it went up.  The spaces in the headboard sort of kept it in the right position and I could freely roll around and lay on my stomach without an issue.

roxytrim
on 3/15/16 3:29 am, edited 3/14/16 8:27 pm - Cobourg, Canada
VSG on 04/12/13

There are lots of "toys" you can get for your CPAP. There is a hose buddy that will manage the air tube while in bed.  cpap.com has everything you could imagine.  

By delaying your surgery so you can treat your apnea, you will be in far better health for recovery.  One step at a time for success.