Head hunger

sarahannevp
on 3/14/16 9:36 am

I am nine months post op and have lost 94 pounds (woohoo!), but lately I have been really struggling with head hunger. Anyone have tips for how they've battled this? 

White Dove
on 3/14/16 9:38 am - Warren, OH

I make it my mission to find low fat and sugar free substitutes for what I crave.  There are many recipes and ideas on the internet.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

sarahannevp
on 3/14/16 10:48 am

Good idea. Thanks!

alouisa63
on 3/14/16 9:46 am - Farmington Hills, MI
VSG on 07/30/15

If I'm feeling hungry, I'll tell myself that before I can eat anything I have to drink X amount of water.  If after 30 -40 mins I'm still hungry, I can eat something.

Starting Weight 375  SW 375 Height 5'9" 

(deactivated member)
on 3/14/16 9:54 am

Head hunger sucks. I hate it. I do try to drink something before I eat. Make a menu up and try to stick to it. 

Before surgery I had to go on t supervised diet were they had me write down what I ate and how I was feeling. It made me look at why I ate. I know sometimes need to stop myself and think. Am I eating because I was bored. Or upset. Emotions can really reek havoc on us. 

I know getting any trigger foods out of the house helps. Making sure there are good foods in the house so I don't go on a bender. 

It is good here to come and get help. 

jeterway
on 3/14/16 9:58 am

I try and get myself involved in something.  It could be an activity or watching something on tv that I am interested in.  If after about 20 minutes the feeling has not gone away, I try and have a healthy snack.  Most times, the desire goes away.

crystal M.
on 3/14/16 10:26 am - Joliet, IL

I will keep my mouth busy by chewing sugar free gum.  That usually helps me over the hump. 

Hislady
on 3/14/16 2:36 pm - Vancouver, WA

I try to keep my hands busy knitting or crocheting or lately I've enjoyed adult color books, very relaxing and calming.

GeekMonster, Insolent Hag
on 3/14/16 4:49 pm - CA
VSG on 12/19/13

If you find the secret to getting rid of head hunger, let me know.

I fight the battle with emotional eating every day.  My mental obsession with food remains a challenge, but I like to think I make better choices 90% of the time.  I started seeing a therapist who specializes in eating disorders.  The bottom line is that there is no easy solution.  I'll probably struggle with this monster for the rest of my life.

The therapist recommended "The Food and Feelings Workbook" by Karen Koenig.  It helped me to think about my behaviors because I had to write them down.  I also created a list that I keep on my phone of other things to do when I feel compelled to eat.  The problem is I don't like to look at the list.

Try to stick on plan and go hard core for as long as you can.  It will never be as easy as it is the first year.  You've done a great job so far 

"Oderint Dum Metuant"    Discover the joys of the Five Day Meat Test!

Height:  5'-7"  HW: 449  SW: 392  GW: 179  CW: 220

Roma
on 3/14/16 6:19 pm
RNY on 06/15/15

Agree with everything you've said.

I have the Food and Feelings workbook that I picked up last year - you just inspired me to crack it open! 

Referral: 8/14; Orientation TWH: 12/14; Nurse: 01/15; SW, Dietician, Psych: 2/15; Surgeon: 5/15; RNY: June 15/2015