Bypass Post Surgery Vitamins And Supplements

H.A.L.A B.
on 3/13/16 11:26 am, edited 3/13/16 7:18 am

Skipping vatamins once in while, even for a week at a time probably will not kill you. 

But.. Not taking and testing regularly the vitamins and mineral may lead to permanent- irreversible damage, including nerve damage. Nerve damage - like in brain, muscles, etc... Sometimes deficinces effects don't show until it is too late ... (that's why we need to get blood work)

There is corelation between low vit D and cancer...so in reality low D will not kill you, but cancer may.. 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

hyder1ab
on 3/13/16 5:13 pm
RNY on 05/06/15

It's really not a big deal to me to take the vitamins. I have always taken vitamins so it's just been a matter of what kind. I take them 3 times a day and set an alarm on my Fitbit for my mid-day ones. I also carry a little pill case in my purse with the two I take at that time. If you are forgetful, just put them in a place you go by daily, like the coffee pot or toothbrush.

Grim_Traveller
on 3/13/16 7:27 pm
RNY on 08/21/12

I can only picture two scenarios where you would be unable to get and take vitamins for long enough to cause serious problems. In the first scenario, the zombies will probably get you anyway. In the second, any lawyer would be able to compel the prison infirmary to supply them.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

GeekMonster, Insolent Hag
on 3/14/16 4:42 pm - CA
VSG on 12/19/13

I know the thought of taking supplements for the rest of your life seems overwhelming, but it truly becomes just another habit.

My sister-in-law had RNY over ten years ago and never takes her vitamins/supplements.  She's been hospitalized several times for anemia and has lost all of her teeth.  She's alive, but I wouldn't say she has a quality life.

In the fairness of full disclosure, she started taking a lot of drugs after her surgery including meth and weed.  Some of her medical issues are probably attributable to the meth, but I like to look at her as a what-NOT-to-do example.

"Oderint Dum Metuant"    Discover the joys of the Five Day Meat Test!

Height:  5'-7"  HW: 449  SW: 392  GW: 179  CW: 220

Just Ducky - The
Meditative Hag

on 3/14/16 6:23 pm - Belleville, IL

YES! To the losing of teeth! This happened to me. Even though I was taking chewable adult vitamins, injectable B12 and calcium citrate (just wrong dosage).

I now have lost teeth, Hepatic Encephalitis and severe osteoporosis, all non-reversable.

Warmly,

Jackie

Just Ducky - The
Meditative Hag

on 3/14/16 6:20 pm - Belleville, IL

"Kill you" right away? No. (ie: Skipping a week or two) however, please, please, please DO take them. You cannot digest B vitamins and yes, it will affect your nerves etc. Skipping Calcium citrate will allow you to get osteoporosis in a couple years and your bones will snap like twigs....I can only speak for myself. Did NOT take the correct amount of Calcium Citrate (Thought I was...Was wrong) and ended up with TWO broken shoulders, and a broken knee all within a 3 year period.

Also skipping vitamins repeatedly can mess up your blood glucose levels and anemia levels.

It isn't worth it, because it cannot be reversed. There are so many vitamins out there (I take Centrum Chewable) B12 injection every 4 weeks and calcium citrate 3x daily. You may be young and skip out a bit....At age 50, it's like playing Russian Roulette with 3 bullets in the chamber. Just saying.

Warmly,

Jackie

Sharon SW-267
GW-165 CW-167 S.

on 3/15/16 5:56 am - PA
RNY on 12/22/14

If you really think that taking daily vitamins conflicts with your lifestyle, you might want to check to see if sleeve surgery would be better, in balance, for you.  I understand there are fewer problems with vit absorption.

Sharon

HeadphoneGuy
on 3/15/16 6:15 am

I was concerned about 'zombie apocalypse' type of situation. Hahaaha.. more realistically Hurricane Katrina.. ect. I think I am gravitating more to the vertical sleeve than an all out bypass. If need be, a bypass can be done later. So a sleeve would keep my options open. Thanks for all the replies. I see that this is a fairly active board. I think I'll stay.. hahaha

Kathy S.
on 3/15/16 8:14 am - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

Welcome HeadphoneGuy  

You have some great feed back from our members and they are right.  I am 10 years + out and had a 4-5 year period where I didn't take them.  In my mind I was tired of gagging them down. Fortunately my stupidity was only 50% and kept up with my labs. As soon as some numbers started to fall I got back on the train.  Sadly, once you start playing catch up it's hard to get back to a good number. After several years and moving to the patch and pills I am doing good.

We have seen so many sad tragic stories on here from not taking your vitamins and doing regular labs, no matter what procedure you have.

Looking forward to your updates!

HW:330 - GW:150 - MW:118-125

RW:190 - CW:130