New.... Sort of

Teena D.
on 3/9/16 7:43 pm - Oshawa, Canada
RNY on 01/12/17

Last month I asked my doctor for a referral for Gastric bypass surgery. Because live in Ontario it will likely be RNY. He told me it would be through Toronto Western. As part of my research I found this website... However today when I was checking out my profile page I discovered that I actually signed up here in 2006. That was a big eye opener for me.

Since 2006, I have lost and regained 50-60 lbs twice. I'm so tired of the yoyo dieting. I'm now 43 years old, back up to my highest weight and ready to be healthy and active. I have 3 children from ages 11 to 17 and I want to enjoy them and do all the things they want to do

I also have a wonderful hisband who has never been overweight in his life he has seen me lose weight and becaus if that feels that surgery is too risky I just need to stick to a diet and lose the weight. He will be my biggest obstacle. All because he loves me and is scared. He's also very stubborn so I know we have some battles over the coming months.

Fortunately I also have a great group of friends as well as parents and my sister so I am ready I'm scared to but more scared that I will be looking at this post again in 10 years wishing that is done it in 2016 (or 17 as is likely the case)

Sorry for the long post and thanks for reading!

Chanti_
on 3/9/16 10:48 pm - Canada
VSG on 09/24/15 with

I waited until I was 40 to have WLS after seriously considering it when I turned 30..  If only I could speak to that girl and give her the wisdom that comes with another 10 years.  Of losing the same 50 lbs over and over again only to regain it all plus some.  Sound familiar.  Please don't put yourself through another decade of obesity and the health issues that will come along if you don't get some help.

Sounds like you have a loving husband, but as a person who has never had an issue with weight there is no way he can understand why diets do not work for real and lasting weight loss.  At least not for the majority.  There are a ton of studies that support this, dig some up for him, that might help his perspective.  

As for being too risky.. it depends on your current state of health.  Do you have cardiac issues, respiratory problems or other health concerns at present that would make surgery unwise?  For the majority of us the opposite is true.  We start out with diabetes or pre diabetes, high blood pressure and sleep apnea.  We have back, hip, knee pain etc. from carrying too much weight.  These problems are all alleviated to a certain degree with WLS.  In these cases it's more risky to live with these health conditions long term then have the surgery.  

There should be no battles with your husband about your health.  This is your health.  Not his.  Try and sit him down in the beginning and have an honest conversation and present your decision to him.  Tell him what you are going to do and why.  Present your research.  Let him voice his concerns but try and think about your future.  

WLS is not the risk for most people that it once was, again depending on many factors.  If your doc recommended it they must feel you are a good candidate.  I have heard that some docs are doing the sleeve now in Ontario, so that might be a less dramatic option then the RNY, ie. no dumping and fewer issues with nutrient absorbtion.

I know you didn't ask for opinions but I couldn't help myself.  Be strong, and take care of your own health 'cause no one else will. Good luck to you.

Chanti

Teena D.
on 3/10/16 3:00 am - Oshawa, Canada
RNY on 01/12/17

Thanks Chanti! I really appreciate your response. 

Im a fairly healthy obese person. Other than knee pain and the occasional plantar fasciitis flare up, I don't have any health issues really. But even if it's just the toll on my joints I know I need to do this. I'm lucky I haven't had any issues with diabetes yet. It really is a matter of time. Even without obesity I have many risk factors. 

Thanks again!