Fave protein bars??

akanikkie
on 3/8/16 8:50 am
VSG on 04/27/15

I, too, am more of a savory/salty craver BUT boy oh boy, for some reason the protein bars have a very strange effect on me.  It shocked me too.  I started craving one every day!  I have found the Quest bars the best but I really have to control the amount I have in the house. At first, I could barely eat 1/2 of one and then it was way too easy to eat a whole bar.  Plus, I have found they just don't keep me as satisfied as say, a chicken breast.  I can eat 8 ounces of chicken (in theory) for 1 protein bar.  So many interesting things to learn about our body's reaction to food after surgery!  I really have to purposefully practice being honest with myself about food even more now. Wishing you the best!

HW: 448; SW: 376; CW: 321

(deactivated member)
on 3/8/16 9:07 am

Quest brownie bars are the best.

Han Shot First
on 3/8/16 10:06 am - Flint, MI
RNY on 10/06/14

These are my go-to bars.  I have one for breakfast 6 days a week.  

--

150 lost and maintaining!

(deactivated member)
on 3/8/16 2:35 pm

I have been eating them for breakfast since I have been driving a hour for work. I do like them. I think they taste like a tootsie roll. I don't eat them in place of something sweet though. I just like being able to chuck one in my purse and know I have something.

GeekMonster, Insolent Hag
on 3/8/16 12:46 pm - CA
VSG on 12/19/13

Quest Banana Nut.

I try to avoid eating these because they are truly substitutes for candy bars.

"Oderint Dum Metuant"    Discover the joys of the Five Day Meat Test!

Height:  5'-7"  HW: 449  SW: 392  GW: 179  CW: 220

TrulyPhoenix
on 3/8/16 3:01 pm - Calgary, Canada

I used to like Quest, but found B-Up bars taste way better with the same macros.  They have a much softer texture which I find more enjoyable.  However, my favorite protein bars are actually Oh Yeah! One bars... I love all the flavors (especially mint & birthday cake).  They average 220 calories but have 22g protein, 1g sugar, and 10g fiber.  If you want a real treat then go with Fit Crunch, taste just like a candy bar but have pretty good macros so at least you're getting some nutrition out of them :)

You're going to come across lots of people who are anti-protein bars/shakes, but they can be very healthy as long as you pay attention to their macros (which you seem to be doing!).  I use them to supplement my diet when I need some extra protein or fiber, or want a satisfying snack (veggies & jerky always leave me feeling more hungry).  

seasley
on 3/9/16 2:34 pm
RNY on 12/17/15

I am not big on protein bars but i have tried Quest and Power Crunch. The quest bars i did not like, but i am loving the power crunch bar in peanut butter cream. It is pretty yummy it reminds me of those wafer type cookies.

MultiMom
on 3/15/16 3:36 pm - NH

The only bars that I ever found acceptable nutrition wise that I LOVED was ProtiDiet Protein Bar - Crunchy Cereal Caramel. Total carbs - 15g, protein - 15g, sugars - 1g and calories 150. They are crunchy and tasty and make a great meal replacement on the run or a snack when running low on protein for the day.

42 grams of sugar WOULD put me in the hospital!

Martha

High 250/Consult Weight 245/Surgery 205/Now 109
Height 5'4.5" BMI 18.4
In maintenance since June 2009