How did you choose the surgery that was right for you?

DonnaMaria
on 3/8/16 9:40 am

I was too scared of the low blood sugar problems with RNY so I got the sleeve. I have only lost 20 Lbs. in five weeks so right now I'm second guessing that decision. 

(deactivated member)
on 3/8/16 9:53 am

To me, 20 pounds in 5 weeks is amazing, but I'm also looking at weight loss from a pre-surgery stand point. Is that slow for post- surgery weight loss?

Deanna798
on 3/8/16 12:19 pm
RNY on 08/04/15

Depends on how much you have to lose.  I was about 275 at surgery, I want to get down to 140.  First month with RNY I lost 23lbs, second month about 14, 3rd about the same as #2.  It dropped down to 10 for a few months.  Last month I lost 5lbs, which was bad for me.  I am 7 months post op and still need to lose 40lbs to get to goal weight and a healthy BMI.  You want to lose as much as you can as quickly as possible.  

I originally wanted to have the sleeve done.  Both my surgeon and my PCP really pushed for the RNY because I have/had type 2 diabetes.  I also have PCOS and hormone issues (increased testosterone, low progesterone).  My diabetes is in complete remission now.  I haven't had my hormones tested yet, but I will be interested to see how they are.  I notice some differences that I think may mean that my testosterone has come down into normal levels for a female.

Age: 44 | Height: 5' 3" | Starting January 2015: 291 | RNY 8/4/15 with Dr. Arthur Carlin| Goal: 150

Listen to advice and accept discipline, and at the end you will be counted among the wise. ~Proverbs 19:20

(deactivated member)
on 3/8/16 2:10 pm
WereYorkie
on 3/8/16 6:44 pm
VSG on 05/11/15

I too have PCOS and while many choose RnY, I chose the Sleeve. I wasn't interested in issues that go with RNY AND I knew I had the self discipline to deal with the Sleeve. 

If a person hasn't dealt with their mental issues (or deny them) then I would say RnY... 

I knew it was going to be slow losing, but I was willing to deal with it. 

Highest weight: 340

Initial Consult: 327.8

Surgery Date: 296 (May 11, 2015)

Today: 201

For me, it's not just the weight that I've lost... it's the mobility that I've gained. To be able to dance for a full hour (Go UJam!) is such a gift. Every day I wake up thankful for choosing the way I did. Is the weight loss slow going. Yes, at times... but considering I can walk jog a 5K now... I'll take it any day!

Highest Weight: 340 (7/2/14)  Initial Consult: 327.8 (2/24/15) Home Weigh In on Surgery Date: 291.8 (5/11/15) Today's Weight: 187.4 (5/20/16) Total So Far: 152.6 Pounds!!!!!!

"There's only us. There's only this... forget regret. Or life is yours to miss. No other road. No other way. No day but today."

Talkingmountain
on 3/14/16 12:01 pm
RNY on 12/28/15

I don't know if you've made your decision already, but in case this helps:

Before my surgery (almost 3 months ago), I had hypothyroidism, high cholesterol, PCOS, high BP, and "pre-diabetes."  I am 54 yrs old & weighed 264 lbs.  My goal wt is 135 lbs.

Both surgeries are great options and  decided on the RNY mostly due to the following reasons (mostly the first two):

• Potential for developing "dumping syndrome" when eating excess sugar or fat. Not every RNY patient gets it, but no VSG patients do.  I wanted to be one who does get dumping syndrome, because I knew I was a serious sugar/fat addict and needed all the help I could get to eliminate those trigger foods from my diet.
  • Often cures reflux (which I have), whereas VSG sometimes causes reflux in people who previously didn't have it.
  • Slightly faster & higher long-term % weight loss than gastric sleeve.
  • Has been around longer so short- and long-term complications are better studied.
  • No removal of organs. If cir****tances were dire enough, a RNY could be reversed (extremely extremely rare).

I've been very happy with my decision, particularly because dumping syndrome has indeed been an extremely effective tool to cut my sugar cravings, lol!  Oh, and the reflux is gone (but I'm still on Prevacid for 6 months as a precaution).

Best of luck to you in making whatever decision is right for you.

Ht 5'6" | HW 278 | SW 264, Size 28+/4-5X | GW 135ish, Size 10-12 | CW 132, Size 8-10
Surg Date 12/28/15 | NSV Goal: Go down slide w/kid! 

(deactivated member)
on 3/14/16 2:05 pm

I'm so glad you wrote me. Coincidentally, I had to make my decision today and I chose RnY as well. For the same reason you did. My sugar cravings are out of control. I am hoping that I also get dumping syndrome to help me with that. Even if it doesn't "stay" with me, I'm hoping it stays long enough to pair those sugary foods with negative feelings instead of positive ones and make them less appealing. I'm glad I'm not the Only one who thought about this. 

Talkingmountain
on 3/15/16 5:11 am
RNY on 12/28/15

It's a very individual decision, but it looks like you have thought about all the options and made the one that is best for you.

Good luck with your surgery and recovery!

Ht 5'6" | HW 278 | SW 264, Size 28+/4-5X | GW 135ish, Size 10-12 | CW 132, Size 8-10
Surg Date 12/28/15 | NSV Goal: Go down slide w/kid! 

Valerie G.
on 3/16/16 9:50 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

I took a hard look at my own weight history and how my body reacts to dieting....which was total stubbornness.  The malabsorption to me was a blessing, finally allowing my body to lose more than 20 lbs, right down from 186 to 140.  Today a decade later after my DS, I'm comfortably at 165 and a size 10/12.   I take vitamins to counteract what I don't absorb and I eat like a normal person.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes