rny in 2005 weight gain help needed and need help with vitamins

debbiel
on 3/6/16 5:42 am - poughkeepsie, NY

hi my name is Debbie i started my weight loss journey back in 2005, never got to my goal weight but i am now working with my surgerons and nutritionist. i am so confused on what vitiams to take. if you have any suggestions please send them my way.

(deactivated member)
on 3/6/16 7:03 am

There is a very good article on that very subject on the home page of OH. Or check the search this forum bar.

Maria27
on 3/6/16 9:09 am - Chicago, IL
RNY on 03/17/15

Your surgeon and NUT should give you a vitamin regime based on your labs. Did they fail to do this or is there something specific they told you to take that you are confused about?

Height: 5'5" HW: 290 Consultation Weight: 276 SW: 257 CW: 132

Ladytazz
on 3/6/16 1:08 pm

Unfortunately many surgeons aren't good about post op supplements.  I know the regiment I was given after my first WLS was woefully inadequate and led to a lot of issues.

This time around I vowed to self educate.  It is important to be our own advocates especially in this area.  My nutritionalist insisted that Flintstone vitamins were ideal post op.  Obviously not good advice.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

Maria27
on 3/6/16 1:46 pm - Chicago, IL
RNY on 03/17/15

I completely agree, but it is also important to adjust vitamins based on labs. If the OP hasn't been taking the correct supplements for many years, there are likely deficiencies that need to be addressed. I was hoping the OP would provide a little more information so that we could provide better advice. 

Height: 5'5" HW: 290 Consultation Weight: 276 SW: 257 CW: 132

Kathy S.
on 3/7/16 9:07 am - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

Hi debbie,

I had to educate my PCP also on blood work and labs once I moved from my surgeon. Here is a list I got from my surgeons office years ago to give to any PCP.  I gave the list to my PCP and then as Maria said you have to adjust per Lab work results.  What is KEY for us is when you see a number go down but it's still within the "normal" range start making adjustment then. We as post WLS patients can't wait until it dips below "normal" range as it's too late then.  It's hard for us to play catch up. We want to play prevent!

Dear Provider,
The Weight Loss Surgery program of Northwestern Memorial Hospital is nationally recognized as a Center of Excellence by the American Society for Bariatric Surgery, and offers a variety of surgical weight loss procedures, with an emphasis on minimally invasive/laparoscopic surgery including Roux-en-Y gastric bypass, adjustable gastric banding, sleeve gastrectomy and revisional surgery.
After bariatric surgery a number of nutritional and screening labs need to be performed on a regular basis for this particular population. While we encourage all of our patients to return to our office for regular follow up we understand that sometimes this becomes difficult or inconvenient for our patients. 
Below is a list of the lab values we draw for patients at 6 months post-operatively, 12 months post-operatively and then annually and on an as needed basis to monitor the patient's health and nutritional status:
CBC w/platelet
Comprehensive Chem Panel
Lipid Risk Panel
Hemoglobin A1C
Vitamin B12
Folate, Serum
Iron, Total Serum
Vitamin D, 25-Hydroxy (Calciferol)
Parathyroid Hormone, Intact
Ferritin

The multidisciplinary staff of the Weight Loss Surgery Program aim to provide primary care physicians and their patients with the highest level of support throughout the surgical and post operative process. If you have any further questions or concerns please feel free to contact me. If you would like further information regarding our program, please call 312-695-7070 or visit our website at http://www.nmh.org/weightlosssurgery

HW:330 - GW:150 - MW:118-125

RW:190 - CW:130

JoniMH
on 3/10/16 4:58 am

Hi Debbie, I had Gastric Bypass in 2000. I didn't know much about the surgery at the time. A friend of mine had had surgery and was losing weight like crazy..lol.. so of course I had to have it. I went to a regular surgeon not a Bariatric surgeon or clinic. Therefor I had no before care, or after care, and wasn't what I could or could not eat, or what vitamins to take. I was told "eat what you can if it bothers you don't eat it.Take one child's Flintstone vitamin a day". So I joined a site just like this one and with the help of friends and the internet and a lot of trial and error, I pegged it. I'm 16 years out and have gained a bunch of weight back however my blood work always comes back perfect.    By the way I lost all my weight plus, and just kept losing, which forced me to become a grazer to maintain, and eventually gain. What I take every day without fail for the last 16 yrs is this...One adult multi vitamin, 2000 mcg B-12, Calcium 1600 mg(Citracal petites), Vit C 1000. And eat lots of protein and drink water.I take the citracal petites because they are Cal Citrate Cal Carbonate gives me gas..lol I had fun figuring that out..lol. I hope this helps you a bit and sorry I'm so long winded...