Plastic Surgery Post Op - Many Many Questions

Karla V.
on 3/4/16 1:43 pm - Marhshall, MO

I am almost 14 years post op of my RNY. I am now contemplating an abdominoplasty, thigh lift and breast augmentation, in that order! BUT, how do people pay for this?!?! Are there ANY insurances that will cover plastic surgery? I have been too nervous to check into any of this out of fear of getting my hopes up and being rejected. Any help is appreciated!

Karla

Kathy S.
on 3/4/16 1:49 pm - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

Hi Karla,

Congratulations old our weight loss and now getting ready for plastic surgery. If you have not done so, be sure and post this on the Plastic Surgery Forum  

HW:330 - GW:150 - MW:118-125

RW:190 - CW:130

H.A.L.A B.
on 3/4/16 2:36 pm

Savings.  

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

emelar
on 3/4/16 3:22 pm - TX

It's rare that insurance covers PS.  If you're having rashes/skin breakdown under your stomach, or other chronic problems with the skin that have been medically documented, insurance may cover a panniculectomy (removal of the skin below the bellybutton).  The panni doesn't take care of the muscle tightening or the skin above the bellybutton, but many surgeons will let you just pay the difference in price. 

Again, if there are documented medical issues, some insurance will cover a breast reduction - but I've seen none that will cover augmentation.  You really need to call your insurance and ask.

Most of us end up self-pay out of savings.

Karla V.
on 3/5/16 8:52 pm - Marhshall, MO

Thank you! This was very helpful. I'm just leary of having to take out a second mortgage  for ps , and was hopeful  that there was a better way . 

Karla

Laura in Texas
on 3/4/16 6:01 pm

If your credit is good, you can apply for Care Credit or try other loan options. Clean up your credit if it is not good. Some surgeons offer financing. Think of things you can cut back on- cable, hair appointments, nails, etc. Don't get a new car. Move into a less expensive place. Get a second job. Sell things online. Scrimp, save, do whatever it takes if you really want it. I am a single mom of two living on a teacher salary. If I can do it, anyone can.

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

Karla V.
on 3/5/16 8:53 pm - Marhshall, MO

thank you for your advice!

Karla

chevtow41
on 3/4/16 8:23 pm
DS on 11/11/14

Go out of country. Much much cheaper

Nikke2003
on 3/5/16 8:49 am - PA
VSG on 05/13/13

It is incredibly rare for insurance to cover plastic surgery - and even then usually only panni removal. I spent a couple of years putting away into savings what I had been making on a car payment. I was able to save half of the cost of my bigger (first) plastic surgery and financed the rest from my employer's credit union. It meant no new car or anything else... but a new body was worth it entirely!

For more info on my journey & goals, visit my blog at http://flirtybythirty.wordpress.com

Eggface
on 3/6/16 11:36 am - Sunny Southern, CA

If you have any skin issues document those... photos, receipts, dr's visits... any conditions caused by the excess skin (infections, utis, etc.) that being said you may still be denied, plastics are generally deemed cosmetic, even though for post WLS-ers it's really reconstructive. You'd probably be denied on the first try regardless but appeal... certainly worth a try getting something covered... my sis had panni removal covered, and self paid for breast work during the same surgery... so some of the costs were covered (anesthesia, Dr's fees, hospital fees, meds)  

I had all my plastics in Mexico (not a choice for everyone but worked out great for me) 

I have a 1997 vehicle that needs to last forever because I self paid for my WLS and plastics. 

Best gifts I ever gave myself. 

Check out the plastic board here on OH if you haven't already.

Best, 

Weight Loss Surgery Friendly Recipes & Rambling
www.theworldaccordingtoeggface.com