Beginning the journey: pre-requestites for the surgery.

kpsmiely1
on 3/3/16 9:27 am

Hi. I am new to the site and forum, I have been researching about the gastric bypass. I had made my decision and have the appointment to meet with the surgeon later this month.

I was wondering with any of you, had you been confronted with road blocks: people giving their negative views about doing the surgery, some saying "You aren't trying hard enough you going to extreme." My favorite comment from a friend is, "You don't look that heavy." I am 5'3" and I am sprout (all the weight is in the middle section). I have been since my preteens and never could get the weight off due to being Big Bone. Good Greif!  I know the surgery and the results are different each of us. I was reading this and speaking with a good friend I had told her I was feeling the panic and anxiety of all the changes physically, emotionally, and spiritually. I don't care about the foods for she said your tastes buds will change and there will some foods you won't be able to eat or find disgusting. I don't care for I am a picky eater yet I like my junk food which I have cut back big time and working on cutting bac**** cream(my #1weakness. LOL!)

My concern is the physical and emotional part for the fear of becoming the first flying human with all that extra skin (flying squirrel).

I am wondering if anyone had gone thru something similar. My family has no idea I am doing this surgery. I only have few close friends where I live in Alaska that know I am doing this for me. Thank you.

(deactivated member)
on 3/3/16 11:25 am

Welcome and Hello. There is and was an enormous amount of worry on my part. I listened to only myself when I made my decision. I felt it was very personal and I chose to research and make the decision alone. 

Don't worry about the skin right now. That is a little like putting the cart before the horse. First, get your eating under control to where you feel comfortable about proceeding. Remember the time before the surgery is a great time to prepare yourself for life after surgery. Organization was my best friend early on.

Tell who you want. It is an intensely personal affair in my opinion. You will not be disappointed if you prepare yourself before surgery. So many feel as if it, (surgery day) is the finish line of a long exhausting process of a liquid diet, insurance companies, doctor visits etc..It is actually the starting line of a grand journey. A gift of a beautiful tool. Renewed mobility. A fresh wind.

Read here alot. So many Phd level minds bounce in and out of here you're bound to learn a ton.

Good luck. 

kpsmiely1
on 3/3/16 11:55 am

Gary, Thank you for your reply. you are right it being a very impersonal surgery for I am the one going thru it they aren't.

Yes, Organization is the big part, I am slowly organizing what I need too and researching about what I will need post op.

This journey is exciting and scary for me for it will be opening up new doors for me I have never ventured before.

I already have my 3 doctor appointments (insurance prereq.)  I am attending my 1st seminar of 5. My first meeting with the surgeon is coming up. I am rolling with it. LOL!

I will be keeping a journal for it does help me a lot to write what I am feeling and put things in a better perspective.

Thanks again.  I will keep researching too.

Jane

clbett65
on 3/5/16 4:16 am

Hello. I am also new to this forum and basically new to ALL of this. I am 51 years old, 5'5" and weigh 240 lbs. I am one of those people that rarely  go to the doctor, no matter how sick I may be, so I am in the process of scheduling an appointment with my new family doctor to discuss my situation and options. I am a grandma of 3, with 2 being born within the last 5 months! There is so much I want to be able to do with them, but I have very little energy because of my weight. I've tried walking but find after a few blocks my legs start hurting and I'm out of breath. I  get sharp burning senations in my foot then it goes numb and sharp stabbing pain down my legs so that I have to stop. My right ankle swells painfully after doing simple housework for 30 minutes without my lower right leg swelling noticeably. I'm getting depressed and frankly sick of this.  I want to be able to go for walks with my grandchildren and hold them without losing my breath and pain. I've tried several diets and over the counter diet pills also and nothing seems to work. I just want to feel healthy, not always tired, and be around for them to watch them grow. Unfortunately at this rate I will not be unless something is done.(Sighhh)

I have been reading about weight loss surgery and there is alot of information out there. I have no idea how to even proceed or even if Medi-Cal will pay for it. So when getting started, is there any certain steps I  should be taking to pit me on the right track?? Its all so very overwhelming, but I am determined to make a start. Thats why I am so glad I found this site. Reading your comments and stories helps give me hope, so thank you for sharing. I wish you the best of luck on your journey and much success. 

Thank you,