Warning about drinking

christinamudd
on 3/2/16 10:27 pm

So before my surgery I used to drink on the weekends, and could handle A LOT.  Now I have to be VERY careful or I end up plastered acting like a completely hot mess!!  Anyone else experience this?  I swear sometimes I will barely drink anything and be already pretty darn drunk.   I also want to warn for a couple of months, I felt like I was developing a drinking problem because I was drinking throughout the weekend.  Now I cut myself down to once a week (I hang out with a lot of people who party a lot).  Just want you guys to pay attention and be careful out there!  Now I really monitor how much I drink and it's back under control, but I was pretty out of hand for December and January!  

HW: 407  CW: 359 - RNY 02/18/15

Ashley in Belgium
on 3/2/16 11:53 pm - Belgium
RNY on 08/08/13

Drinking frequently post-op slows weight loss and can develop into transfer addiction in some people.  It's good to warn others of your experience especially since you are still early out.  We see this kind of post here over and over. 

In your shoes I'd try to maximise my honeymoon period and eliminate empty calories and sugars.  It is hard sometimes to be the only one who isn't drinking/partying but it is worth the effort to try and find a drink you can nurse throughout the night or be the driver for everyone or just learn how to have fun without alcohol or food in social settings. 

Revision Band to RNY 8/8/13 5'4" HW 252 Lbs / SW 236 Lb / GW 135 lb / CW 127

Catek2652
on 3/3/16 4:28 am
RNY on 10/26/15

There are perks for being the designated driver...

Cate K

Northern Neck, VA 5'4" 56 years old

Highest weight 245: 7/1/2015, RNY surgery on October 26th. Had multiple complications and follow up surgeries and stayed in hospital for 24 days. Goal weight is 140.

Kathy S.
on 3/3/16 7:55 am - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

Hi christina,

You are not going to like my answer but why are you drinking "at all"? I don't think it's on your food plan the surgeon gave you!  Did you ask your surgeon and he said it was ok to drink alcohol before you hit goal?  You already prove my point with you're honestly.  "it's back under control, but I was pretty out of hand for December and January!  "There is a reason you don't want to steer away from the plan your surgeon gave you.  I don't know what procedure you had and I don't see your date but did see your other post where you were having issues with your weight ticker updating.  

You are still new with more to lose.  When you have surgery no matter which one, it's a "TOOL" to give you time to learn how to eat and move for the first time in your life.  It's called the honeymoon phase and meant to train your mind and body to eat and move this way for the rest of your life.  Don't you want to get off that merry go round of gaining and losing? The time to test yourself is well after you have hit goal and when you are strong and committed to never going back!  Some NEVER eat or drink that stuff again!

As someone else said its empty calories and can lead to real addiction.  Here are a couple of links from a search I did for you on transfer addiction/drinking.  Pretty scary.

Transfer Addiction

Drinking after WLS

Who am I to say these things to you?  Someone that has been around for years and seen what works and what does not.  See who is successful for life and who ends up looking for a revision.  Someone that has seen members develop a really bad drinking problem and even died.

I didn't eat a piece of bread until I was 18 months out from my goal. That time gave me the strength and conviction to keep it off for years.  You can too!

Now the hardest advice for you to read?  Get new friends that don't drink and would rather go shopping for new smaller clothes than drink.

"(I hang out with a lot of people who party a lot)."

Regards,

Kathy

HW:330 - GW:150 - MW:118-125

RW:190 - CW:130

The Salty Hag
on 3/3/16 8:14 am
RNY on 05/20/13

I was definitely NOT afraid of a drink or 5 pre-surgery. Now, I'll have a very occasional glass of wine. A couple of ounces gets me pretty toasted. I now really dislike that out-of-control feeling that results from drinking, so tend to go for a month or more without drinking.

I commend you for seeing a potential problem developing and taking steps to rectify it.

I woke up in between a memory and a dream...

Tom Petty

Deanna798
on 3/3/16 9:17 am
RNY on 08/04/15

I've done some soul searching about this recently.  I've had a few drinks in the last few months, but just recently decided to stop.  Mostly because I'm still 40lbs from goal, but also because I wasn't really a drinker before surgery, and since surgery had more in the last 3 months than I did in the 2 years before surgery.  I think my reason for drinking now is not because of transfer addiction, but more because my social life has changed drastically.  I've been going out and dancing like I never did when I was SMO.  That doesn't make it any better for me though, so just a few days ago I decided to give it up for a while.  If I find that I'm struggling and really NEEDING to drink while I'm abstaining, then I will know that I have a serious problem.  Hoping to hit goal by the summer, then I'll think about drinking again.

On a lighter note, my husband is hoping that I transfer my food addiction over to a sex addiction...  

Age: 44 | Height: 5' 3" | Starting January 2015: 291 | RNY 8/4/15 with Dr. Arthur Carlin| Goal: 150

Listen to advice and accept discipline, and at the end you will be counted among the wise. ~Proverbs 19:20

Ashley in Belgium
on 3/3/16 12:47 pm - Belgium
RNY on 08/08/13

Yours, mine and most like everyone' s husband is wishing the same thing!  

Revision Band to RNY 8/8/13 5'4" HW 252 Lbs / SW 236 Lb / GW 135 lb / CW 127

GeekMonster, Insolent Hag
on 3/3/16 4:59 pm - CA
VSG on 12/19/13

Their faces are so sad when they realize that dream is yet another fantasy...  

"Oderint Dum Metuant"    Discover the joys of the Five Day Meat Test!

Height:  5'-7"  HW: 449  SW: 392  GW: 179  CW: 220

chevtow41
on 3/3/16 9:30 am
DS on 11/11/14

This one time I had fun without alcohol.

Seriously it's possible. And I come from the DUI Capitol of the world - Wisconsin.

MassHockey
on 3/3/16 10:39 am

I was a pretty serious drinker before surgery.  I spoke honestly and candidly with the doctor and social worker about drinking before surgery.  They told me the danger of addiction transfer and the potential impacts of drinking after surgery (getting drunk more quickly than youre used to or able to handle) and we talked.

i didnt drink at all for 3 months after surgery....doctors orders.  I then dipped my toe.  Since then I've had a couple "real drinker" nights.  I havent had negative experiences but I have been very cognizant of the risks and leery of monitoring my reaction.  Its been fine for me and I intend to continue to live.....carefully and erring on the side of caution.

We're all different and have to do what we have to do.  I was never a "sweets" guy and feel very safe saying I'll never ever ever eat another cookie (I never ate that many pre surgery.......turkey sandwiches? Different question). Some people here get themselves to the point where they safely monitor their intake of sweets and are able to eat a couple from time to time, remaining healthy.  Thats what I intend to do with alcohol.

i know that the safest thing to do would be to quit cold turkey.  That wouldnt make me happy.  I need to live my life in a way that makes me happy while also staying healthy.  Thats the goal.