Gastric sleeve or Gatric Balloon?!

Sally146
on 2/28/16 5:32 am

Thank you for your reply. Well we don't have that kind of service where I live. The bariatric surgeon will not refere you to anyone. You have to go and book an appointment yourself with a dietician. Something that I have tried many times before and always failed. I dietician will only give you a diet plan and that's it. No follow up and nothing more. In fact one of the dietitians I went to was actually obese.. Way more than I was. Which was funny.

my only concern regarding gastric sleeve is how much weight will I lose. I'm really worried bout that I will lose so much weight and become underweight. Something I have seen happen before. And with the gastric balloon a lot complain that is was too painful that they couldn't tolerate it. Also after the balloon is removed patients tend to feel more hungry and gain their weight back immediately. I am on metformin for PCOS but don't have diabetes and really worry I might end up developing type 2 diabetes. And over the past 10 years I have only seen my weight going up and wonder if I will end up morbidly obese or not. Only 10 years ago I weighed 58kg. Now I'm 75 and can't get it off

Grim_Traveller
on 2/29/16 4:29 am
RNY on 08/21/12

You won't lose too much weight. You just won't.

We're all here because we have a problem eating too much. That never really goes away. For the rest of our lives, 99 percent of us have a daily struggle with food. Because of surgery it's a struggle most of us can find a way to win. But the very, very rare case when someone becomes underweight it's either because they develop serious medical complications and they lose too much, or they develop an eating disorder as a psychological issue.

I'd be willing to bet big money that you will never lose too much.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

Sharon SW-267
GW-165 CW-167 S.

on 2/28/16 12:29 pm - PA
RNY on 12/22/14

I had RYN, but my surgeon recently sent out an email that he was doing a balloon now.  my surgeon has been doing bariatric surgery for 15 years.  I do not have any experience with the balloon, but here is his info.  I'm not getting a kickback - just info.

http://www.njbariatriccenter.com/weight-loss-surgery/reshape -gastric-balloon/

Sharon

(deactivated member)
on 2/28/16 2:30 pm

I have been following posts on another forum by people who have had the balloon. So far my thoughts have been that many of them have has hard a recovery period after insertion as they would have had with surgery. Many are thinking very positively that the 6 ths with therapy to address eating issues will do it for them I think the jury is still out on that but for other non surgical weight loss regain is almost certain. I lost 80 lbs once and kept it off 8 yrs. I was so sure I'd never gain it back..till I did!

I do not know where you are or what surgeries are offered and under what cir****tances. I have read some people do lose  too much with the sleeve at first but regain is common after a couple of years and of course you can purposely eat a little more to regain if you need to. Does seem to be a huge issue for most people.

I had a gastric plication. I know it is not very common or popular in the US but I am from Europe originally where it is far more popular and a fair % of patients lose as much as with gastric sleeve. I do not know if that might be an option for you. It is less invasive than the other WLS which was one of my reasons for choosing it.

I hope you get lots of insightful replies that will help you make the right decision for you and your life. There are many very caring, educated (about WLS) people here who will help in any way they can

Sally146
on 2/29/16 1:32 am

Gastric plication is available where I live but then again no doctor recommends it. 

I just went to consult another doctor today and he also said the exact same thing.. Gastric sleeve for my case. A BMI of 32 is little but with insulin resistance then it's better to go for a permanent solution and save my condition from deteriorating and developing type 2 diabetes. He did say that a modified gastric sleeve is the best and permanent option for me where they would remove a smaller amount of the stomach compared to other patients with a much higher BMI