weight gain

murphygirl2013
on 2/25/16 6:31 pm

Hi everybody,  I am 3 years out and have gained 20 pounds.  There are lots of reason why but again more like excuses.  My question is,  has anyone every gained weight back but was able to lose it again and perhaps more?   Thank you for any feedback

Grim_Traveller
on 2/25/16 6:58 pm
RNY on 08/21/12

Lots of people gain and lose. You can lose at any point, but it is a little slower, and more effort, than it was right after surgery.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

White Dove
on 2/26/16 3:55 am - Warren, OH

Exactly what Grim said except it is a lot slower.  Your body is fighting back after having been starved and will hang on desperately to every ounce.  The only way to lose the weight now is to eat less calories.

Years ago I could lose seven pounds in a week at Weigh****chers.  Now it takes me seven weeks of cutting 500 calories a day to lose seven pounds. To lose 20 would take me 20 weeks.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

acbbrown
on 2/26/16 10:30 am - Granada Hills, CA

I gained a lot more than 20 - like 70+ lbs and have managed to lose 40 so far. I have had a relatively easy time with it after I dealt with the excuses and the causes and conditions of the gain. 

I am my own worst obstacle. Once I get out of the way, I can lose weight. 

www.sexyskinnybitch.wordpress.com - my journey to sexy skinny bitch status

11/16/12 - Got my Body by Sauceda - arms, Bl/BA, LBL, thigh lift. 

HW 420/ SW 335 /CW 200    85 lbs lost pre-op / 135 post op

~~~~Alison~~~~~

Amy R.
on 2/26/16 1:47 pm

I too have gained and lost big amounts (40+ pounds once and close to 50 pounds another time).  Both times that I had significant re-gain it was due to grazing on stuff.  Not candy, well, not always candy anyway; even carbs can do it to me.

When I finally get a grip on myself and just go back to dense proteins and veggies I am able to re-lose. It's not really fast, but it does come off.  And it's WAY easier than dieting before I had my surgery.  I don't count calories or anything, I just restrict food to meat and veggies 99% of the time. I never have to go hungry.  Right now I am actually a few pounds under my lowest post-op weight.

You can do it!  And catching it at 20 pounds is great.  My only caveat would be to stay far away from diet pills, the 5 Day Pouch Test, etc.  That stuff doesn't work long term or we'd have not had the surgery.  Getting back to basics is best and the sooner you do it the sooner your excess will be gone.

dog_hair_dinner
on 2/27/16 10:41 am, edited 2/27/16 2:38 am
RNY on 03/01/16
On February 26, 2016 at 9:47 PM Pacific Time, Amy R. wrote:

>And it's WAY easier than dieting before I had my surgery.  I don't count calories or anything, I just restrict food to meat and veggies 99% of the time. I never have to go hungry.

I'm pre-op right now and this is everything I could have hoped to hear.  It's what I'm doing the surgery for.  The hunger.  I can lose weight, but I am starving constantly.  It's the torture of the hunger ever day that has made me make the decision for roux-en-y.  I've never heard anyone say specifically what I've quoted you say.  To hear someone say it gives me a great deal of hope.