One year check up

cherylwk
on 2/24/16 10:44 am - Standish, ME

A few weeks ago I posted that I was upset that I would not reach my goal weight by my one year anniversary.  I had my appointment today and was told that my goal weight was unrealistic for my age.  Basically they told me that I am at a good healthy weight and have lost 92 percent of my excess weight.  So I guess I will just be happy where I am and not worry about losing more.  If it happens great if not I am satisfied.  

(deactivated member)
on 2/24/16 10:49 am

I would look at what you want. Not what they want. I refuse to stop. I have to lose 25 pounds. My doctor says I don't I am like yea I do . You need to do what is right for you.

Sharon SW-267
GW-165 CW-167 S.

on 2/24/16 11:42 am, edited 2/24/16 3:40 am - PA
RNY on 12/22/14

I think that when you approach 'normal' weight you might consider widening your evaluation to include other factors such as body fat and evaluate if you can easily take some more weight off (ie your body wants to be lower) or if you are eating healthily and are just maintaining. Personally, I let my body reach its lowest weight by following the post -surgical instructions.  That ended being 140-145 at 14 months post-surgery, vs my original goal of 165 (the lowest I weighed in high school.)  I lift weights so that I am 13% body fat, so if I got down to 125, I would have to lose mostly muscle which makes not sense - I think that is why my body stabilized here.

Whether you agree or not, most professionals think it is better to be rational with your eating than do something unmaintainable to acheive your goal wt only to gain it back.

I feel good with my strategy of staying on the post-surgical program and letting my body go as low as it wanted to.  If I have some bounce back in the future, I will be disappointed, but not freaked out. 

I was like you - once I hit 165. if I lost most - great, if not, great also.

Sharon