Sleeve vs RNY?

Terri70
on 3/1/16 7:38 pm

Thank you so much!

DYFAN
on 3/1/16 8:45 pm
RNY on 07/16/14

I had a sleeve done in 2011, due to reflux issues (and some weight regain), I had a revision to RNY in 2014.   I have regretted that decision and would only recommend a sleeve to anyone.  I've seen amazing weight loss with sleeve alone.  The restriction was far better with the sleeve.

Yes I'm done to my goal but at what cost.  Permanent malabsorption of vitamins but losing the malabsorption of calories that we get so used to with RNY during the first 16 months or so.  I feel like crap most of the time, with horrible gas. I've had numerous incidents of diarrhea, one that lasted for two weeks, all since having RNY.  My hair loss was back to normal after the sleeve, I'm afraid that's no going to happen with RNY.

I've had a one level fusion in my neck prior to all of this.  I have degenerative disc disease and arthritis and I'm looking at possibility of having two more levels fused in the very near future.  I've been unable to take any oral steroids or NSAID since the pain started early last year.  My only alternative is to have steroid shots in my neck.  If I'd realized that I would get in this situation with no alternatives, it would have made my decision to not have a revision to lot easier.

Just make sure you thoroughly review all the information.  Don't pick RNY solely because of the malabsorption is only temporary. and make sure you can live with any of the side affects.

Jen R.
on 3/2/16 9:01 am - VA

I can only tell you about RNY because that is what I had done nearly nine years ago. I was 43, 5'4 & 265 lbs. I had insulin dependent diabetes, high blood pressure and high cholesterol. When I awoke from surgery, I never had to take any more diabetes meds. It is gone. So is the high cholesterol. ( HPB runs in my family but it is down considerably.) 

Today I am 52, 5'3 & 129 lbs. I lost most of my weight within 9 months. I haven't had any plastics done and have a bit of a belly, but spanx hide that in sleek clothing. I feel terrific, take my vitamins, drink a ton of water and still get at least 50 grams of protein daily. I walk and used to do water aerobics. Right now I'm looking for a heated pool. haha

No weight loss surgery will work if you dont change the root of your overeating. I had a metabolic disorder and I ate to bury pain of molestation. I went to therapy. I am all about using my tool because I wanted to be HEALTHY. I didn't care about being THIN. Living for my husband,family and myself are still my motivation.

Here is my before and after photos. The before was taken the night before surgery @265 lbs. The after was a few months ago @130lbs.

Jen