Sleeve vs RNY?

H.A.L.A B.
on 2/25/16 10:44 am

It really does not cure.  Unfortunately. It puts in in remission... and.. it can come back even if the person maintains the weight loss...

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Deanna798
on 2/25/16 10:46 am
RNY on 08/04/15

Yep, that's why I put cure in quotes.  Thanks for clarifying for the others though, I probably should have worded it better. 

Age: 44 | Height: 5' 3" | Starting January 2015: 291 | RNY 8/4/15 with Dr. Arthur Carlin| Goal: 150

Listen to advice and accept discipline, and at the end you will be counted among the wise. ~Proverbs 19:20

H.A.L.A B.
on 2/25/16 10:59 am

some newbies may take you literally on that...even in quotes... And for some - it is a hard truth to follow...

It was  a rude awakening for me re back pain.. it did not go away completely.....and eventually it got worse..  

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Sharon SW-267
GW-165 CW-167 S.

on 2/25/16 6:43 am, edited 2/24/16 10:45 pm - PA
RNY on 12/22/14

You are asking a lot from WLS.  How much are you prepared to do?

Normal weight = 100+5pounds per inch over 5 feet - for women. That would be 130 pounds for a 5'6" tall woman.  That means you want to lose 130 of your 135 excess pounds, from your starting weight of 265, or 130/135=96% of your excess body weight. 

Wanting to lose 96% of your excess body weight (new BMI of 21.5) is theoretically possible, but very rare.  The people who do this and keep it off work VERY hard or have blessed genetics.  Which are you?   It is unlikely that your surgeon will encourage these expectations, whatever surgery you chose. (At 14 months post-surgery, I have lost 82% of my excess body weight and am at a 13% body fat, so I weight lift and work hard and want to encourage you to get the success you want, but if you do not have blessed genetics, be prepared to work for those results or be disappointed.  Sorry, but at 46 you do not really have youth on your side, either.  That's OK, neither did I. I am clear that I am 14 months post-surgery because I am still in the honeymoon phase.)

This doctor's video about WLS identifies roughly a dozen behavioral changes that need to accompany WLS for long term success and then asks how many of these changes are you/can you make long term and that self-assessment can help you decide which surgery is right for you.  (He was not my doctor, I am not getting a kick-back, but it is the most condensed and research-based video I have come across.

http://drmatthewweiner.com/how-to-choose-the-right-bariatric -weight-loss-surgery/

Ultimately, your success is dependent on what you are wiling and able to do and there is no reason you can't lose 100% of your excess body weight - at least one person on OH has and his BMIs is

Sharon

Terri70
on 2/25/16 7:36 am

I am willing to do whatever I need to do to get all this extra (most of it at least) weight off me. I watched the video and again I'm leaning more towards the RNY. Yes. I have high expectations but I will not be heart broken if I only get down to 160 or so. 135 is just my ultimate goal.

Will it make a difference if I've had a partial hysterectomy and a c section?

Sharon SW-267
GW-165 CW-167 S.

on 2/25/16 7:47 am - PA
RNY on 12/22/14

I'm with you. I was hesitant to leave the message, but I err on the side of really knowing what you're getting into.  You took my post in the spirit that I offered it. 

For me:  My orig goal was anything under 200, then 165 (my lowest wt in high school), but I stayed on the post-WLS diet and solid exercise plan and let my body take it from there. WO-WHO on 13% body fat and my new designer size 6 suit!  I will do everything I can to stay here, but I will not fall on my sword if I end up at 165 - I still looked pretty good in size 10 jeans and I still am very fit at the weight. (I hiked and rafted the Grand Canyon for 10 days at that weight, so 165 is a fit place for me.)

You'll have to ask your surgeon about those complications, wish I had an answer for you.

Sharon

iloveravens
on 2/25/16 8:11 pm
RNY on 08/13/14

It can be done :-)

we have similar stats. good luck! 

Lanie; Age: 43; Surgery Date (VSG): 8/12/14 w/complications resulting in RNY next day;

Height: 5' 6" SW: 249 Comfort Zone: 135-140 CW: 138 (10/13/17)

M1: -25 lbs M2: -12 M3: -13 M4: -7 M5: -11 M6: -10 M7: -7 M8: -7 M9: -3 M10: -8 M11: -4 M12: -4

5K PR - 24:15 (4/23/16) First 10K - 53:30 (10/18/15)

MsBatt
on 2/25/16 1:40 pm

There is a third option, and it's the form of WLS that has the very BEST long-term, maintained excess weight lost stats. It's called the Duodenal Switch, and it has some things in common with both the Sleeve and the RNY. It has a Sleeved stomach, just like the stand-alone Sleeve. It also has an intestinal bypass, like the RNY.

In the RNY, about 100-150 cms of the upper portion of the small intestine is bypassed. This causes slight malabsorption of calories for about 18-24 months, but malabsorption of certain vitamins and minerals FOREVER. The DS bypasses quite a bit more---exactly how much depends on the patient's actual small intestine length. In my case, I'm bypassed 415 cms. Because so very much is bypassed in the DS, it also causes lifetime malabsorption of certain vitamins and minerals, but it ALSO causes permanent, life-long malabsorption of CALORIES as well.

Statistically, the Sleeve and the RNY has pretty much the same excess-weight-lost results at five years post-op. The DS's numbers are significantly higher.

Research ALL your options before you make your final decision. Talk to people with each surgery type who are 5+ years out. Find out what they love and what they hate. Also talk to people who've started out with one procedure and revised to a different one.

Terri70
on 2/25/16 4:14 pm

I'm not sure the surgeons at my center do the DS, BUT I will definitely look into it. Thanks.

impoopedx3
on 3/1/16 5:12 pm - GA

I started about where you are. I was 53, 5'6" and about 256. I wanted the sleeve, but my doctor really encouraged me to get the RNY. He did the sleeve on many, many patients. He just didn't think it was MY best option. I had reflux and he said the sleeve  most often makes relux/heartburn worse and I'd be miserable. I trusted his judgment (a very experienced and highly regarded surgeon in Atlanta). Four and 1/2 years later, I know it was the best decision for me. I lost about 110 lbs. with the RNY. I've not had a single problem, no weight regain, and am healthy and happy. It is an individual decision, of course, but I just wanted you to know I was really afraid of the RNY, but it has been great for me. Best of luck to you!