Small town, small budget meal replacement/protein issues.

this_anthology
on 2/24/16 11:35 am

hahah. Elk is farther west and caribou is farther North. Good fishing though, and deer and moose if you can get 'em!

SW-376

LW-255

CW-288

GW-190

Grim_Traveller
on 2/24/16 11:48 am
RNY on 08/21/12

Mmmm. Moose and squirrel.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

H.A.L.A B.
on 2/24/16 12:04 pm

protein powders/meal replacements are either non existent or VERY expensive.

And that si a great thing IMO. 

as other said - meat, fish, eggs, dairy...non starchy veggies, good fat...(i.e. olives, bacon, bacon fat, butter)

Skip starches and even fruits... Home cooked meals are the best..

but when eating out - grab a burger with a side of lettuce, tomato, pickles.. skip the bun. 

snacks: pre-measured servings of nuts like almonds, walnuts, macadamia, brazil..Some peanuts are OK also..; string cheese.. etc.. 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

White Dove
on 2/24/16 4:20 pm - Warren, OH

Protein shakes are a great way to add calories if you want to gain.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

JuliaP2016
on 2/24/16 4:37 pm - Prentice, wi
RNY on 03/01/16

can you order the shakes off the internet? I find them to be cheaper on web sites.... 

just a thought

Sharon SW-267
GW-165 CW-167 S.

on 2/25/16 4:04 am - PA
RNY on 12/22/14

Lots of great advice.

I know that everyone says dense protein - but I have done well with addition of protein drinks, esp for breakfast or snack.  If you are also one of them, get some. All the major players - GNC, vitamin shoppe, walmart deliver free for over a certain amount (usually $50).  Vitamin shoppe has a store card program that is free, GNC;s has an annual fee, Walmart is, well, Walmart.  You can compare nutrion values on line.

Sharon

H.A.L.A B.
on 2/25/16 4:10 am

BTW: pressure cooker or slow cooker can make cheaper less tender cuts of meat very nice. You don't need expensive food. Non starchy veggies - fresh or frozen, adding beans to increase volume and reduce cost is another idea. 

If you have a freezer - driving once in a while to a larger city to get supply.  Then just put them in a pressure cooker or slow cooker - make a batch, then divide into small containers.. 

I do that all the time. 

Non starchy veggies - like cabbage, broccoli, califlower, green beans, greens (like spinach, kale can by bought frozen and makes into a side dish) 

Making stew or chilli.. In my way to maximize $$$. Some of those meals may have too much liquid after done - I simple place that on a strainer overnight - making it more dense option for me. I use the leftover liquid to make other dishes or just drink it as "favored broth" if I want something more spicy.

I.e when not too hungry - I may make homemade egg drop soup - using that liquid and just 2 eggs.. (boil the broth - add eggs and mix. Removed from stove - eat... I use that if my pouch is swollen or sensitive and I can't - don't want the Dr we proteins... Adding some herbs (grow them on a window sill) adds flavor... 

Eggs - are often low cost option - 2 HB eggs with some pickles... Is a full meal for me... Even 7 years post op. I use NSA (no sugar added) pickles... 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

michellemj
on 2/25/16 8:31 am

I second the pressure cooker option. and Instant Pot (the fav around here) is made in Canada so you wouldn't have to spend a ton to ship it, don't know about the exchange tho.

Cheap sources of protein: eggs, tuna, chicken thighs (WAY CHEAPER than breast meat). Do any of your discount stores (we have Dollar General here) sell food? Do you have an Aldi/Lidl someplace close by?

this_anthology
on 2/25/16 12:37 pm

No, we don't have any of those things here unfortunately. and I do have a pressure cooker but even "cheap" cuts of meat aren't cheap right now. I'm going to try my best to get what I can in terms of protein, and have shakes and skim milk powder on hand for when I can't find them. 

SW-376

LW-255

CW-288

GW-190

supershopper
on 2/25/16 4:13 pm

I would say like the others that lean meats and non starch veg are the way to go. I like buying the tuna in a can and instead of adding mayo, I add 1 tbl of hummus.

I also live more 'remote' but can find tuna, eggs, chicken, etc at the store.

I'm trying not to rely on protein shakes as much. Do don't stay full on them.

HW 305 SW 278 Surgery weight 225 GW 160 LW: 118.8

RNY 12/15/2015,

GB removal 09/2016,

Twisted bowel/hernia repair 08/2017

M1 Dec 2015-13.0, M2-7.0, M3-14.5, M4-9.4, M5-7.1, M6 9.8, M7-7.6 ,M8- 7.6, M-9 5.5, M10-6.4, M11- 2.2, M12 Dec 2016- 5.8