Uncomfortable with my surgeons advice

chevtow41
on 2/23/16 5:11 pm, edited 2/23/16 9:18 am
DS on 11/11/14

I'm not sure where you are getting the info that you can't consume fats with the DS. Quite the opposite in fact. You want to consume a high fat, high protein, and low carb diet. Many people consume over 100g of fat a day. You need a lot of fat because you only absorb a percentage of it. 

The DS is one surgery where you really don't starve yourself in my opinion. Eat tons of meat and fat and you're golden. My sample meal for a day -- breakfast - 4 pc bacon and two eggs, snack - beef jerky, lunch - ribeye, snack - ham with cheese melted on it, dinner- hamburger no bun(sometimes I'll have half a bun) last snack - full fat yogurt. 

You can get deficiency with just the sleeve. You won't be able to consume many calories even with that surgery, so don't think you won't need vitamins if you go that route.

You will need vitamins with the DS- more than the VSG I believe but I haven't had any problems so far, though I do take about 20 vitamins a day. You need to take charge of your own health and keep track of your vitamin levels, don't depend on a doctor.

I'd definitely recommend you do a lot more research on the DS so you can make an educated decision, check out the DS boards. Also if you want to PM me I can try to offer more ideas/opinions.

The one thing I find funny is how many people are turned down for the DS and have to fight the insurance company to get it covered but you're having just the opposite problem. Weird.

Maria27
on 2/23/16 5:14 pm - Chicago, IL
RNY on 03/17/15

I am not comfortable with the thought of you getting the BPD when you barely meet the weight requirements. There are some people on OH who will tell you that DS is the way to go whatever your weight, but generally accepted practice is to reserve that surgery for patients with a BMI over 50. Please get a second opinion before you let this surgeon cut you open. But don't walk away entirely! I believe that you could benefit from weight loss surgery, but you need to be comfortable with your chosen procedure.

Height: 5'5" HW: 290 Consultation Weight: 276 SW: 257 CW: 132

MsBatt
on 2/25/16 2:11 pm

It's NOT the BPD, but the true DS that her surgeon performs. No one does the old BPD any more, except in very special cir****tances. And according to the American Society of Metabolic and Bariatric Surgeons, anyone who qualifies for WLS qualifies for the DS. I know several 'lightweights' who chose the DS because of its excellent stats for resolving or preventing co-morbs like diabetes and high cholesterol.

Mystrys
on 2/23/16 5:15 pm
DS on 04/08/16

Thank you ALL for your replies and input. It is VERY APPRECIATED.

I have been a diabetic for 23 years. I was insulin dependant with very poor control for about 15 years before losing the weight and coming off of everything. 

I'd consider a second opinion but this surgeon is a  virtual Rockstar in the industry and I trusted him until this twist.  I have also spoken to many of his patients and they all rave about him and none have any regrets.  

I'm hoping it's just nerves and I can work through my anxiety and fear. More reading here will probably be the help I need. 

H.A.L.A B.
on 2/23/16 6:54 pm

Post that question on DS forum.

If you feel about it - wait.don't do it.  

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

MsBatt
on 2/25/16 2:13 pm

If you've been diabetic for 23 years, the DS is the ONLY WLS you should consider. Some diabetics achieve remission with all the forms of WLS, but the longer you've been diabetic the greater the chance that you will NOT. Therefore, I strongly urge you to go with the procedure that gives you the best odds of successfully treating yours.

chevtow41
on 2/23/16 7:12 pm
DS on 11/11/14

May I ask which surgeon?

Kathy S.
on 2/24/16 8:07 am - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

Hi chevtow41  

Off Topic - to remove 2 of the 3 weight tickers that are appearing in your signature line area of your posts click the * in the upper right hand corner, settings, message board.  Back space or delete them and then save.  If you need help let me know at [email protected]

Regards,

Kathy

HW:330 - GW:150 - MW:118-125

RW:190 - CW:130

Mystrys
on 2/24/16 12:04 pm
DS on 04/08/16

Dr. Stephen Boyce in Knoxville, TN

INgirl
on 2/23/16 7:13 pm

I'm post-sleeve by near on 5 years.. and think your doctor is giving you better advice than most I've seen! The DS (BPD-DS, same thing, SIPS/Loop DS, not the same) is the BEST chance you have of getting your diabetes under control.

Yes, you may have been better served getting it several years ago, but nothing else will help more than the DS can, this is not an opinion, just clinical fact. Do some real research (not message boards) but places like PubMed, and you may settle your mind a bit. The long-term consequences of the disease you have and don't have under control are much, much more extreme than the small, very small, potential, and very likely under your control, side-effects of a surgery that has the best track record for helping your diabetes.

Keep in mind- this is coming from someone who in all respects has been successful with the VSG but would have NEVER gotten just the VSG had I even been newly diagnosed with diabetes much less having had it for several years. The VSG is akin to a helping hand to diet, the DS gives you a metabolic assist. If you have diabetes, a raging eating disorder or are/have been SMO, the best chance you have is with the DS. The fact you have a doctor advocating for it means he/she is honestly more educated than many. Take the suggestion, research it, and truly understand what it entails- and make an informed decision from there.