Information session tonight - Dr Wizman in Margate, FL

Chris "Thick-to-Fit" T.
on 2/23/16 12:40 pm - FL
VSG on 05/26/16

Going to an information session tonight at Dr Wizman in Margate, FL

My day has been pretty busy, but I just realized the time and that in an hour I am hitting the road for the hour drive South, and am pretty excited/have butterflies

I'm hoping my wife can make it. She has something for church but is going to come down after -- supposed to run from 6-8

I'm not planning on asking any questions, as I believe that is better suited for a 1on1 consultation

This is the first step, and am interested in what he will be sharing information wise. 

I've done a pretty good amount of research in the past and again recently, but I am torn on RNY vs VSG. I am 300, around 5'10" and 31 years old. I'm not sure my body fat percentage, but I do have a pretty good muscle base. I work out at least 5 days a week with heavy weights (bench of 300#, leg press 970#, shoulder press 160#, etc). I'm not a novice to the gym ;)

I want the best tool to help me be successful.

I actually joined a overeater anonymous meeting yesterday for a little bit, but didnt get to pay much attention to it due to work (was an online chat room meeting)

I want to get some books to read on regarding my relationship with food and how to change it. I dont really graze, but I am emotionally attached to food. I get upset, frustrated, etc I just want to eat a whole damn large pizza.

Anyway, I'm excited. Really excited.

I googled "gastric bypass bodybuilder" and found several individuals who have had RNY and still compete at bodybuilding -- a DREAM of mine. I've even reached out to them on facebook or bodybuilding.com

I've always wanted a particular shoulder/upper arm tattoo... Being fat, itd be a joke to do. The realization that I could have the tattoo I really want, and be physically in shape the way I feel in my mind when I hit the gym --- man.... that feeling is incredible!

:)

Sorry for the rant

Kathy S.
on 2/23/16 1:05 pm - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

Hi Chris,

Congratulations on making changes that will give you the life you have dreamed of!  The seminar is a great place to ask questions so don't be shy. We have included some links to great questions to ask at the seminar and your 1 on 1.

Kudos to you for hitting the nail on the head. I had surgery over 10 years ago and when I speak to people that are considering the surgery I tell them "YOU NEED TO GET IT RIGHT BETWEEN THE EARS BEFORE RE-ARRANGING YOUR PLUMBING"!  I can't tell you how many people I see that do not deal with the head issues and end up back here for a revision.  

Weight lifting?  I love it!  I hit the gym hard 8 months before my Plastic Surgery and proud to say I got down to 10% body fat.  I felt the best I ever had in life.  Due to personal issues I don't have the time to hit the gym like that again but miss it!!!  We have several members here that are into weight lifting after their weight loss. I will include the link to our exercise forum and the Men's Forum.

Roux-en-Y Gastric Bypass Surgery Forum (RNY)
Vertical Sleeve Gastrectomy Forum (VSG)
Men
Exercise and Fitness Forum

Choosing a Bariatric Center - Questions to Ask Your Bariatric Surgery Program

Questions to ask your surgeon

If you need anything else, please feel free to contact me at [email protected]

Regards,

Kathy

HW:330 - GW:150 - MW:118-125

RW:190 - CW:130

Chris "Thick-to-Fit" T.
on 2/23/16 1:10 pm - FL
VSG on 05/26/16

hey thanks so much for the posts :) going thru them now

Chris "Thick-to-Fit" T.
on 2/24/16 5:01 am - FL
VSG on 05/26/16

Well that was interesting! lol

Got down to the doctors office without issue and about 15 minutes to spare. The office manager gave kind of a spiel on insurance and what insurance companies cover, and what their process is. I have BCBS FL and it is 6 months of meeting with primary care, nutritionist and a psychologist prior to being able to even apply with insurance company, and to hope they say yes...

The doctor then got up and spoke. Like him. The only issue I had is it was pretty much an open forum, and people could ask questions as they pleased. Some people took advantage of it and would interrupt what he would be saying. Only 3 people were like that in a group of maybe 30.

Finally one guy got pissed off at another for doing it and started yelling lol

Anyway... step 1 done. Today someone from the office should be calling me and will go over my exact insurance scenario with me

alouisa63
on 2/24/16 5:56 am - Farmington Hills, MI
VSG on 07/30/15

Good for you!  My surgeon's office gave us a list of questions to call and ask our insurance company about. I was puzzled by this at first since the insurance coordinator went over everything in the office regarding my type of insurance.  But I understand it - they were making you responsible for understanding your insurance requirements.  I would recommend everyone contact their insurance company and ask questions!

Starting Weight 375  SW 375 Height 5'9" 

Luvmygs
on 2/24/16 3:30 pm
VSG on 12/04/14

Hey Chris, I too was torn between the RNY and VSG. After my consultation with the surgeon she pretty much told me which surgery was right for me. I did alot of research on the RNY and thought it would best for me, but my surgeon said I would do much better with VSG. I'm SO HAPPY with the decision. I'm going on 15 months post op and loving my new sleeve. I have not ever experienced any dumping and I can pretty much eat what ever I want. I do make healthy choices and stay within my 4 oz range per meal. I still want to serve a full plate, but I know my new stomach and it says "NO WAY"!  I know now that either WLS is going to help you get healthy, only if your life style and eating habits change too. Good luck on your decision. Christine