probiotic recommendations?

Deanna798
on 2/22/16 9:36 am
RNY on 08/04/15

So, I have rosacea.  It's a pretty severe case, and I need to be on antibiotics daily for it.  I would normally cycle on and off of the antibiotics, but since surgery I dread going back on as it just makes me feel icky.  I saw my dermatologist today and she's lowering my dosage to 50mg of doxycycline hoping that it will be easier on my system and be enough for the anti-inflammatory properties of the medication to work.  I asked her about taking a probiotic with it, or if she thought that the doxy would counteract the probiotic.  She said that it would be okay to take both together, and if anything will likely help with my gastric distress while on the antibiotics.

So, I need recommendations of a good, powerful probiotic.  You guys are awesome!

Age: 44 | Height: 5' 3" | Starting January 2015: 291 | RNY 8/4/15 with Dr. Arthur Carlin| Goal: 150

Listen to advice and accept discipline, and at the end you will be counted among the wise. ~Proverbs 19:20

Heavens2Betsy
on 2/22/16 9:59 am
RNY on 02/29/16

I take Jarro-dophilus EPS.  It's worked great for me with regularity, but it takes a few weeks to see results.  I'm wondering about taking it post surgery as you need an enteric coated cap for it to work and I wonder how that will go thru the pouch.

My daughter was on antibiotics for a year as a baby, and her dr. recommended keifir, and she still loves it at 12.  But, keifer does have carbs.

Age: 55.  5' 8" SW 345 lbs.  RNY on 2/29/16 at UVA w/ Dr. Hallowell.     
Month 1 - 3/29/16: 319 (25 lbs. lost) | Month 2 - 4/27/16: 314 (5 lbs. lost) | 
Month 3 - 5/29/16: 303 (12 lbs. lost) | Month 4 - 6/28/16:  293 (10 lbs. lost)
Month 5 - 7/28/16: 289 (4 lbs lost) | Month 6 - 8/28/16: 282 (7 lbs. lost) |
Month 7 - 9/27/16: 278 (4 lbs lost)

GeekMonster, Insolent Hag
on 2/22/16 11:19 am - CA
VSG on 12/19/13

I tried Culturelle, but it stopped working for me.  I've been taking this one for a few months and it seems to be the one.  I buy it on Amazon.

"Oderint Dum Metuant"    Discover the joys of the Five Day Meat Test!

Height:  5'-7"  HW: 449  SW: 392  GW: 179  CW: 220

NYMom222
on 2/22/16 8:00 pm
RNY on 07/23/14

I have been taking probiotics since surgery and periodically change the one I am taking. How do you know it is "working" for you? I am going to buy this. I am going to be on antibiotics post surgery and don't want to be totally screwed up. Antibiotics could do a number on me even before WLS.

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

H.A.L.A B.
on 2/23/16 5:46 am

When I take antibiotics - I also get Rx for diflucan.  I take it at start of anitibiotics(with doc permission) and at the end of it... After I stop antibiotics - I start good probiotics. Great one are VSL-3. Supper expensive, but good. 

Taking probiotics with antibiotics is really pointless in my opinion.. You killing them as fast as you take them IMO.  But if you take them between antibiotics and with food - then can help digestion... Then they die.. 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

on 2/23/16 11:24 am - CA
VSG on 12/19/13

TMI, but here you go.

I started having very smelly gas again when I was using Culturelle.  I did some research on probiotics, and discovered that there are two different strains of bacteria that they recommend are contained in whichever one you choose.  I saw that this one did, tried it and it seems to keep the hounds at bay, as it were.

H.A.L.A B.
on 2/23/16 5:53 am

When I take antibiotics - I also get Rx for diflucan.  I take it at start of anitibiotics(with doc permission) and at the end of it... After I stop antibiotics - I start good probiotics. Great one are VSL-3. Supper expensive, but good. 

Taking probiotics with antibiotics is really pointless in my opinion.. You killing them as fast as you take them IMO.  But if you take them between antibiotics and with food - then can help digestion... Then they die.. 

Btw -SIBO can cause rosacea.  Mine flares up as my IBS flares up. 

Also - when my sugar cravings feels very difficult to control - I know my internal Candida is flaring up... With my doc permission I take Rx diflucan as needed.. ( lately every 2 -3months or during or after series of antibiotics. )

Systematic yeast infection - Candida - is close to impossible to erradicate. But it can be controlled.  With diet (low sugar, low carbs), herbs, probiotics and Rx meds. I use that all. 

Since you probably been on a lot of antibiotics ... You probably deal with that... Google Candida and SIBO..

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

CerealKiller Kat71
on 2/23/16 8:43 am, edited 2/23/16 12:48 am
RNY on 12/31/13

I am no expert on probiotics.  I started taking them after surgery because I had read a lot of research that showed that they helped with weight loss -  and continued because I felt they did help somewhat after I'd lost 3/4 of my weight and suffered a severe hernia with bowel issues.  

ANYHOW -- I now simply make my own yogurt using the highest quality start possible.  I make sure I use these bacterium: B. breve, B. longum, L. acidophilus, L. bulgaricus, L. casei, L. plantarum, L. rhamnosus, S. boulardii, S. thermophilus.  I use some of the yogurt (save about 2 TB) as my next start -- starting anew every 5th round -- eventually it will become very Lactobacillus Bulgaricus heavy.  I have found the same great results from it with the benefit of whole foods.  It has also benefitted my husband and son.  

I store it in glass mason jars in the fridge.  My family loves it so much, that I am on a once a week schedule. 

Crockpot greek yogurt recipe

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

on 2/23/16 6:03 pm - CA
VSG on 12/19/13

I am exhausted reading the instructions.  Kudos to you, Kat, for making this once a week 

LeapSecond
on 2/23/16 12:37 pm - AR

Read up on Kefir.  If half of what I have read is true it is 10 times better than pharmaceutical probiotics.

HW=362(6/14) SW=314(9/14) GW=195 CW=270 (1-26-2020)