Post-Surgery Help: RNY almot killed me

stlsweetie51
on 2/19/16 3:51 pm
RNY on 12/17/15

I  had my surgery on 12/17/15. I was scheduled to be discharged 12/20...then life happened and I almost died from complications to my RNY. When I say I almost died, it is not an overexaggeration. I had respitory failure, ARDS, hypoxia, sepsis, swelling in the left frontal lobe of my brain, aspriated on the ventilator, my bowel twisted, and was in a coma for 9 days. I don't remember anything between being dropped off at the hospital to be transferred to inpatient physical rehab because I could no longer walk or use my right arm-17 days. I then spent 17 days in rehab re-learning to walk, gaining my balance back, building endurance, and working on gaining strength back in my arm. I am continuing rehab, but now in an outpatient capacity

I don't say this to elicit sympathy, but to create understanding because I am at a point where I need a bit of guidence. I was unable to hit the stages of food due to all the crap I mentioned above. When I got to rehab, I was thrown into stage 2 (I woke up on 12/29 and am fairly certain they had me on stage 1 foods from the time I woke up until rehab) and then progressed to stage 3 and 4 while there. Problem is, I am sure I was eating things I shouldn't  (if I see another ice cream scoop of mashed potatoes, I am throwing it at a wall) and doing things I shouldn't like drinking with meals because that's when I was scheduled to take meds. I also had vocal cord damage and could not drink thin liquids, so I had to drink thick nectar-like liquids. Suffice it to say, my recovery was difficult. Plus, I was a bit out of it for a while because of the meds that caused major hallucinations until rehab.

I have been home almost a month now and find myself in a predicament. I am fairly certain I am eating wrong. I eat the things I could tolerate and liked in rehab-which are likely not on an approved food list. I probably am eating too many carbs, sugars, and fats. Additionally, because I was and have been so out of it, I haven't been waiting between bites and may not be eating often enough. I am aware that many doctors have different standards about wait times, numbers, etc., but I am hoping that I cam rely on my fellow GPB patients to help me out and refresh my mind.

I am still losing weight-highest was 440 (9/23) surgery day was 390 (12/17), and I am now at 343. However, my concern is that I could be doing better...but beyond that, I need to do this right to be successful.  

Thank you in advance for your help!

(deactivated member)
on 2/19/16 4:49 pm

I think 23 pounds a month for 2 months is almost where I was. It is about what to expect. 

I stick to meat and veggies only. I aim for 0 carbs a day. That is what causes you to crave food, so I avoid them totally. I never eat sugar, even 'sugar-free' stuff. I only drink water. I aim for 150 oz. a day. I weigh my food and eat only what I'm allowed. It takes a tremendous amount of willpower at first. Then, it gets easier.

I walk everyday, after work, before work. Anyone who is sick and tired of being big can do this. Anyone who is sick and tired of being big can do this. say it over and over. I believe in your ability to do this!

Good luck in this journey.

White Dove
on 2/19/16 6:49 pm - Warren, OH

There is nothing complicated about it.  Eat meat and cheese and non-starchy veggies.  Drink your water.  Track your food to be sure you are getting enough protein.

Don't eat potatoes, sugar, bread, flour, pasta, cereal, rice, noodles, cake, candy, cookies or anything made with sugar or flour.

Get a fitness tracker to count your steps.  Weigh daily, exercise daily and watch the weight fall off.  Just because you ate carbs at the rehab does not mean you have to keep eating them.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Grim_Traveller
on 2/19/16 7:33 pm
RNY on 08/21/12

Are you cleared for all foods? Any restrictions?

While recovering, you had to eat certain things, or avoid certain things, to make sure you healed. Now it's time to switch gears, and start on the regular bariatric plan the rest of us did. What White Dove said above is it, in a nutshell.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

NYMom222
on 2/19/16 8:45 pm
RNY on 07/23/14

Wow, sorry for the rough road...hopefully it will all be a distant memory. Everything White Dove said... If you haven't been eating solid food -ease into it , make sure you chew really well, it is not dry and small bites. Eating mashed potatoes isn't the same as eating a piece of steak...

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

Ashley in Belgium
on 2/20/16 10:32 am - Belgium
RNY on 08/08/13

I am sorry you had such a nightmare of a recovery.  Hopefully that is it for you complication wise and you can skip to the good part of post-op life.

White Dove gave you great pointers.  In your shoes I think I might start over.  Not because you should physically, but I know I would need to mentally to get into the right groove.

So I'd most likely start with softer, easier to handle foods like chili or cottage cheese or ricotta bake.  Get into some regualr habits about your eating times and menu.  Then as that becomes habit I'd introduce different foods - always protein first.  Shelly's website which has  great ideas for post op eating can help you muddle through menu ideas.  

My fitness pal is a great tool to help you track what you are eating.  But if you stay away from white carbs and focus on protein and water and take your supplements you should do great from here on out.

Good luck with your WL journey.  Stick around this is a great place to get and give support!

Revision Band to RNY 8/8/13 5'4" HW 252 Lbs / SW 236 Lb / GW 135 lb / CW 127

The Salty Hag
on 2/21/16 6:34 am
RNY on 05/20/13

I think this is perfect advice for the OP. If I were in the OP's situation, this is what I would do. I think starting over is really smart. I think it would help tremendously to help the OP progress through the stages while at home and with foods on her meal plan. 

Awesome answer, Ashley! 

I woke up in between a memory and a dream...

Tom Petty

Ashley in Belgium
on 2/21/16 10:05 am - Belgium
RNY on 08/08/13

Revision Band to RNY 8/8/13 5'4" HW 252 Lbs / SW 236 Lb / GW 135 lb / CW 127

Roma
on 2/20/16 8:35 pm
RNY on 06/15/15

You have been through so much. It sounds like an awful experience. 

If i were you, I'd try to focus on getting 80g of protein in, keep carbs low, and avoid slider foods. But hopefully your bariatric team has a guide they can share with you?  All of our schedules for introducing foods seem to be so different. 

Referral: 8/14; Orientation TWH: 12/14; Nurse: 01/15; SW, Dietician, Psych: 2/15; Surgeon: 5/15; RNY: June 15/2015

Kathy S.
on 2/24/16 9:29 am - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

I am so sorry for all you have been through.  You have great advice from our Vets.

Contact your surgeon's office and there should be post op follow up classes and support groups.  Log what you are eating when and how much, sit down with the Nut and show her/him and get some suggestions on adjustments if any.  Attend any and all support group meetings.  You have been through the ringer and need that support and then some.

We are here for you all the way  

HW:330 - GW:150 - MW:118-125

RW:190 - CW:130