Hernia post op

Melischa
on 2/18/16 8:01 pm - Canada

Hey everyone, I'm just here to tell my story.. I had my rny May 2015, almost a year and 100 pounds down yay!!!  Well I have been talking on here about my pouch feeling like a heavy golf ball after eating, well there was a reason for it, and the reason I am telling you this is because if anyone else feels like that go get checked.... I had very bad back pain last week and went to emerg...  I gave a urine sample, I had xrays, I had ekg's, and an MRI which revealed that my bowel was twisted and I had a hernia that developed into my pouch which my bowel was going through....  so I was rushed to Ottawa by ambulance for surgery, my pain did subside which means my bowel untwisted itself so I didn't actually have the surgery until the next day...  just be careful and know your pains and get things checked if you aren't sure, I had thought it was gas pain but no it sure wasn't...  

Grim_Traveller
on 2/18/16 8:30 pm
RNY on 08/21/12

I'm glad they found the problem right away and fixed it. Some people suffer for a long time before they get it straightened out.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

NYMom222
on 2/18/16 8:59 pm
RNY on 07/23/14

The bowel twisting can be dangerous...glad it was taken care of. I also have a hernia, that was mostly just pain when I was eating. They kept telling me I was eating too fast or too much. In my case the bowel didn't come through. The report says it is blocked by fat. For once my fat did something good.

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

H.A.L.A B.
on 2/19/16 4:15 am

Twisted bowels due to hernia, or adhesions or just because we lost the abdominal fat and the intestine can just move freely inside ... Is rather common.  It needs to reminded over and over so people don't ignore severe pain... Untreated - can lead to bowel strangulation - bowel necrosis- sepsis- and death... 

Sometimes CT - scans show "nothing abnormal" while symtoms indicate otherwise... 

So far, over last 7 years,  I had 3 surgery to correct 3 different issues. My doc and I hope the last one was and its going to be really last one... 

Glad you are OK. 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."