calcium citrate

(deactivated member)
on 2/18/16 7:08 am

Once I have waited the two hours after my vitamin, is it okay to take all 3 calcium citrate pills at once? One at a time, three in a row? Or, do I have to wait between them?

Calcium is what I'm having the most trouble keeping my level at 2000 mg a day. Thank you.

Sharon SW-267
GW-165 CW-167 S.

on 2/18/16 7:22 am - PA
RNY on 12/22/14

I think you're supposed to spread it out.  Mine says in 2 doses per day.  I read a book on calcium and wht I remember is that it is absorbed around the closk, you you can take it before bed.  Also, it is good to take it before exercising because the flexing of your bones helps it get absorbed.

Here's the general info (not specifically for WLSers)

Calcium absorption is best when a person consumes no more than 500 mg at one time. So a person who takes 1,000 mg/day of calcium from supplements, for example, should split the dose rather than take it all at once.

Courtesy of our government.

https://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/Calcium-Consumer/

Sharon

(deactivated member)
on 2/18/16 8:21 am

Thank you Sharon. Great info.

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 2/19/16 5:40 am
RNY on 08/05/19

If your bones are bendy enough to flex, I think that merits a visit to the doctor.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Grim_Traveller
on 2/19/16 6:56 am
RNY on 08/21/12

I think bendy, flexible bones are a result of eating too many pretzels. Or licorice, I forget which.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

Sharon SW-267
GW-165 CW-167 S.

on 2/19/16 11:29 am - PA
RNY on 12/22/14

Very small flexing assists calcium moving from bloodstream to enter bones.  Hard to believe, but yes, your bones flex. That is why exercise, in addition to Calc and Vit D, are needed for protection against osteoporosis.

What you know about your bones

Bones support your body and allow you to move. They protect your brain, heart, and other organs from injury.

Bone is a living, growing tissue. It is made mostly of two materials: collagen (KOL-uh-juhn), a protein that provides a soft framework, and calcium (KAL-see-uhm), a mineral that adds strength and hardness. This combination makes bone strong and flexible enough to hold up under stress.

Bone releases calcium and other minerals into the body when you need them for other uses. (This last piece of info is why calcium supps are so important - without enough calcium for all the other functions, your body will suck calcium out of your bones, leaving them fragile(osteoporosis, or osteopenia-beginning stage of osteoporosis.)

http://niams.nih.gov/Health_Info/Kids/healthy_bones.asp

Sharon

GeekMonster, Insolent Hag
on 2/19/16 11:41 am - CA
VSG on 12/19/13

I read the link you posted, but I didn't find any recommendation that you take calcium before you exercise because it will absorb easier into your flexing bones 

"Oderint Dum Metuant"    Discover the joys of the Five Day Meat Test!

Height:  5'-7"  HW: 449  SW: 392  GW: 179  CW: 220

Sharon SW-267
GW-165 CW-167 S.

on 2/19/16 11:50 am - PA
RNY on 12/22/14

That post supports the fact that your bones are designed to flex, which, by the number of people who liked the post saying that 'bendy bones' are a problem, was generally not accepted. 

I read an entire book on calcium absorption, that uptake during flexing was one of the things I remember.  I no longer have the book. If you are interested more, I'm sure you could find it also. If I come across it, I will repost it.

Sharon

GeekMonster, Insolent Hag
on 2/19/16 12:30 pm - CA
VSG on 12/19/13
On February 18, 2016 at 3:22 PM Pacific Time, Sharon0055 wrote:

I think you're supposed to spread it out.  Mine says in 2 doses per day.  I read a book on calcium and wht I remember is that it is absorbed around the closk, you you can take it before bed.  Also, it is good to take it before exercising because the flexing of your bones helps it get absorbed.

Here's the general info (not specifically for WLSers)

Calcium absorption is best when a person consumes no more than 500 mg at one time. So a person who takes 1,000 mg/day of calcium from supplements, for example, should split the dose rather than take it all at once.

Courtesy of our government.

https://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/Calcium-Consumer/

Just want to make sure I read this correctly.

"Oderint Dum Metuant"    Discover the joys of the Five Day Meat Test!

Height:  5'-7"  HW: 449  SW: 392  GW: 179  CW: 220

Sharon SW-267
GW-165 CW-167 S.

on 2/19/16 12:37 pm - PA
RNY on 12/22/14

The bold text is what happens.  I have several risk factors for osteoporosis (genetic, long-term synthroid user), so I studied the research and have use the most important pieces.  Take it or leave it, as you choose:

Strength training does not mean that you have to train for the Olympics or tediously do the same exercise over and over. According to Healing Moves, a variety of exercises will yield bone-building benefits: "Physical impact and weight-bearing exercise stimulates bone formation. Just as a muscle gets stronger and bigger the more you use it, a bone becomes stronger and denser when you regularly place demands upon it.

The best bone builders are exercises that put force on the bone, such as weight-bearing activities like running and resistance exercises like strength training. In general, the greater the impact involved, the more it strengthens the bones." However, it is important to distinguish the exercises that will increase bone density from the ones that will not. "Weight lifting, including curls and bench presses, is a beneficial activity ... Dancing, stair-climbing and brisk walking are all weight-bearing exercises, which promote (good) mechanical stress in the skeletal system, contributing to the placement of calcium in bones. Aerobic exercises such as biking, rowing and swimming do not strengthen the bones," writes Gary Null in Power Aging.

http://www.naturalnews.com/010528_bone_density_mineral.html

Learn more: http://www.naturalnews.com/010528_bone_density_mineral.html# ixzz40eEEqpZc

Sharon