Is it ok to be scared ?

Deanna798
on 2/16/16 1:20 pm
RNY on 08/04/15

My RNY was my first surgery,  and I was 42. I war afraid,  but my quality of life had gotten so bad I felt I didn't have much to lose.  

106lbs later and it's like a miracle.  The chances of complications are low,  but do what doc tells you,  as you'll do great.  

Age: 44 | Height: 5' 3" | Starting January 2015: 291 | RNY 8/4/15 with Dr. Arthur Carlin| Goal: 150

Listen to advice and accept discipline, and at the end you will be counted among the wise. ~Proverbs 19:20

Eggface
on 2/16/16 3:04 pm - Sunny Southern, CA

Not only is it OK it's absolutely normal. The complication/mortality rates are very low and in line with other surgeries (c-sections, appendix removal, gallbladder) Your medical team will be running a bunch of tests that should reduce risks. They will give you post-op rules to follow (dehydration and infection are the most common reasons for readmittance in the first 30 days so follow post-discharge instructions and sip tha****er) Keep an open dialog with your Dr about your anxieties... if it gets really bad he/she can give you a little something something ;) for that but... remember... obesity and related conditions can take us out too... second leading cause of preventable death (CDC) and I'm assuming you are already feeling some of those. 

Control what you can control... walk when they say walk, sip water, follow instructions/wound care, etc. 

Let go of what is out of your hands. 

Good vibes & prayers being sent for a speedy healing and awesome journey to better health!

~Shelly

Weight Loss Surgery Friendly Recipes & Rambling
www.theworldaccordingtoeggface.com

chaplainJess
on 2/18/16 10:12 am

I know exacty what you are talking about. I started this process last summer and had all the appointments, did all the research, attended support group and started eating better and loosing weight. I recieved insurance approval in November and had the pre-op testing all seceduled. 24 hours before pre-op testing I completly FREAKED OUT! major panic and didn't show up for the tests. I called and canceled everything!

Two months later and 15 pounds fatter (total tailspin), I got back on the program with a renewed feeling of purpose. I am now completly at peace with getting surgery. My nutritionist and I now joke about pre-freak out jess vs. post-freak out jess. The main downside is that my insurance approval expired, so they had to resubmit everything. I just got word that we have re-approval and they are schedualling my pre-op testing! I promise that I will show up with bells on this time!