What will I learn in nutrition meetings?

tabbitha
on 2/15/16 5:03 pm

I am starting this journey. I just was approved to see the surgeon. In the nutrition counseling, are we taught how to handle cravings? I'm sure it depends on who you work with, but is lots of support available? 

I I know I want and need to do this, but am scared about being able to. Maybe lots of people felt this way?

White Dove
on 2/15/16 7:34 pm - Warren, OH

I learned about carbs, fat, calories and protein.  They taught us how to read labels and find hidden sugars.

I don't think there is a class on how to handle cravings.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Bonroxie19
on 2/15/16 8:02 pm

My doctor offers monthly nutri classes.  i have learned so much in the last year.  we learn how to cook, what to eat when out, talk about vitamins, etc.  

Bonnie RNY 2/11/15 by Dr. Takahaski

5'3" SW 230 pounds, GW per Dr. Takahaski 150 pounds, CW 132 pounds (10/1/17)

BMI 19% Bod Pod test 1/29/17 13.1 mile half marathon, 1 hour 59 mins (8/21/2017)

Catek2652
on 2/16/16 3:40 am
RNY on 10/26/15

Meetings with the psychologist is where I am learning to deal with cravings... or at least identify why they come up, recognize them for what they are, and start to learn how to adjust things in my life that bring them up. H.A.L.T. is an acronym that is helping me a lot. If I get a craving for something I should not have, (alcohol, junk food (crackers in particular),) then I ask myself if I am Hungry (legitimately, like did I forget to eat lunch?), Angry (this is a biggie for me), Lonely (or bored?), or Tired (maybe I need to go to bed).

If it is one of these, I try to address it or at least acknowledge this is the reason I'm craving crackers or a glass of wine. And I can tell silly head that it is clearly just head hunger and move on to doing something... even if it is going to bed for a nap or taking a walk.

One of my new tricks is getting up and getting the broom and dust pan out, cleaning the bathrooms or doing the dishes. Keeps me busy and makes me feel like I accomplished something from my list. And my house is cleaner.

Cate K

Northern Neck, VA 5'4" 56 years old

Highest weight 245: 7/1/2015, RNY surgery on October 26th. Had multiple complications and follow up surgeries and stayed in hospital for 24 days. Goal weight is 140.

Deanna798
on 2/16/16 9:35 am
RNY on 08/04/15

My advise is to ask as many questions as you can think of.  If they don't tell you how to do something, and you're unsure, speak up.  Also, I was horrible about maintaining my eating before surgery.  I could always be good for a short time if I had a purpose, but then it always slacked off.  Now that I have had surgery, I am unable to eat how I used to.  Physically I can't fit enough food in at one time to actually binge.  This helps, because I'm still working on getting my eating disorder under control.  

Before this surgery I would never have said I had an eating disorder.  That's usually someone who didn't eat, or threw it all up after eating.  But I've learned that I have an eating disorder, and I'm working really hard to get past it.  It's a struggle everyday to make the right choices, but this surgery is giving me what I needed to lose weight and get my head on straight.

You CAN do this.  Just like I can.  I have been telling myself everyday that I can, and I will be successful.  You just have to be brave enough to take the jump, and then keep on jumping back in, over and over again.

One of the best decisions I have ever made.  Good luck to you!

Age: 44 | Height: 5' 3" | Starting January 2015: 291 | RNY 8/4/15 with Dr. Arthur Carlin| Goal: 150

Listen to advice and accept discipline, and at the end you will be counted among the wise. ~Proverbs 19:20

tabbitha
on 2/16/16 10:13 am

Thank you! I see him March 3! I'm excited and nervous!