Please Help w/my FB Status RE: Surgery Announcement

thallnc
on 2/12/16 4:02 pm - NC
VSG on 02/18/15

My one year anniversary is next week and I posted on FB the day before surgery. The support I received from my family and friends was AMAZING. Here is what I wrote.

Tomorrow will be the first day of the beginning of my new life!!!

The past 4 months I have been going through a process to get approved for weight loss surgery. Well tomorrow is the BIG DAY!!! I am so exited for the new life that awaits me. Some people may think that this is the "easy way" to lose weight but let me tell you, after all my research and talking to many people about this surgery this is going to be one of hardest things that I have ever set out to accomplish....and accompli**** I will. I want to thank each person who has supported me in this decision and for the many friends that have had this surgery, thank you for answering all my questions and being there for me.

My surgery is scheduled for 9:30am tomorrow in Hickory. If you all would, please say a little prayer for me during this surgery, for my surgical staff, and for a good recovery.

Thanks friends and family!!!

Height: 5'5" HW: 278.2; SW: 268.2; CW: 175.6

Heavens2Betsy
on 2/12/16 4:42 pm
RNY on 02/29/16

O I love this!  It sounds more positive than what I wrote - I might just steal part of it.  Thanks!!

Age: 55.  5' 8" SW 345 lbs.  RNY on 2/29/16 at UVA w/ Dr. Hallowell.     
Month 1 - 3/29/16: 319 (25 lbs. lost) | Month 2 - 4/27/16: 314 (5 lbs. lost) | 
Month 3 - 5/29/16: 303 (12 lbs. lost) | Month 4 - 6/28/16:  293 (10 lbs. lost)
Month 5 - 7/28/16: 289 (4 lbs lost) | Month 6 - 8/28/16: 282 (7 lbs. lost) |
Month 7 - 9/27/16: 278 (4 lbs lost)

thallnc
on 2/12/16 4:49 pm - NC
VSG on 02/18/15

You go right ahead!!! Good luck with your upcoming surgery!

Height: 5'5" HW: 278.2; SW: 268.2; CW: 175.6

Kris G.
on 2/12/16 6:57 pm

I haven't put anything on FB mostly because I really didn't know what to say and there are not too many people I care if they know. but now thinking about it I think it may have been easier, there have been a few family members I would have liked to given them time to control their facial expressions and think of intelligent responses. The look of omg you are going to die when I told them was really something I didn't need at the time! With all that said I think what you plan to post sounds great,  all we need is support!!!

Catek2652
on 2/13/16 4:55 am
RNY on 10/26/15

Speaking from the law enforcement point of view... and purely cautionary, it is NEVER a good idea to post in a public forum (Facebook included) dates you will be away from home. It's just an open invitation for trouble.

Other than that, go for it. Looks great!

Cate K

Northern Neck, VA 5'4" 56 years old

Highest weight 245: 7/1/2015, RNY surgery on October 26th. Had multiple complications and follow up surgeries and stayed in hospital for 24 days. Goal weight is 140.

Oxford Comma Hag
on 2/13/16 9:40 am

I was not on FB when I had surgery. I wouldn't announce it. Not because I am secretive, but more because for most people it is a nonissue. Maybe because I was matter of fact or maybe because I don't invite any personal comments, but no one really cared that I had wls. 

I fight badgers with spoons.

National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 800-273-8255

Suicidepreventionlifeline.org

wendytime
on 2/15/16 12:30 pm, edited 2/15/16 4:31 am - Palmyra, VA
VSG on 02/12/16

Looks great to me. I recently posted on my Facebook page too because my surgery was Friday (2/12)...and I finally just settled on something bland like I was going to the hospital and why, nothing really deep. I like that you put more thought into yours. Honestly, I was just tired and didn't feel like explaining myself more. I'm sure you get me.

How are you doing this week?

xo,

Wendy

Heavens2Betsy
on 2/15/16 1:12 pm
RNY on 02/29/16

Thanks.  I do get it. I'm starting to get a little bit nervous, but not too much yet.  I still have 2 weeks to go.  I'm ordering some protein powder variety packs, getting some gax X strips, some probiotics, and trying to think of other things that might help.  Wendy, how are you doing after just 3 days?

Age: 55.  5' 8" SW 345 lbs.  RNY on 2/29/16 at UVA w/ Dr. Hallowell.     
Month 1 - 3/29/16: 319 (25 lbs. lost) | Month 2 - 4/27/16: 314 (5 lbs. lost) | 
Month 3 - 5/29/16: 303 (12 lbs. lost) | Month 4 - 6/28/16:  293 (10 lbs. lost)
Month 5 - 7/28/16: 289 (4 lbs lost) | Month 6 - 8/28/16: 282 (7 lbs. lost) |
Month 7 - 9/27/16: 278 (4 lbs lost)

wendytime
on 2/15/16 3:35 pm - Palmyra, VA
VSG on 02/12/16

I wish I knew about the gas X strips before surgery. I had no idea how important taking care of getting rid of the co2 is part of our recovery. I woke up with pretty serious pain and pressure in my chest but the nurse gave me something for it as soon as I mentioned being uncomfortable. It scared me because I didn't expect it to be as strong as it was. Once I started walking and using the breathing spirometer thing, I was doing much much better post-op.  I'm home today and I feel relatively good. Sore, of course, mainly from the larger incision area, but I'm walking around the house and handling fluids OK. SF Popsicles have turned into my best friends because they take time to melt/swallow.  I recommend shaved ice and popsicles lots!

Deanna798
on 2/15/16 3:27 pm
RNY on 08/04/15

I "came out" on new years day.  I had a few people asking me how i had lost so much weight and I would tell them in private message, but then I just got tired of feeling like I wasn't being honest because the changes were huge.  Here is the actual post that I wrote:

Every year for new years I make the resolution to lose weight. Now that I have a plan to lose weight, and I'm more than halfway to my goal weight, I'm not going to make that resolution again. This year my New Years resolution is to stay on my eating plan, and to not let it fall off. I'm also going to join a support group, most likely Overeaters Anonymous, and work the steps to help me stay away from the foods that cause me problems.

I have lost at least 96 lbs since this time last year at a mid January weigh in when I decided that I have to get my **** together if I wanted to live long enough to watch Kaladin grow up. I decided that I was going to have weight loss surgery, because everything I had tried hadn't worked. It was a long process, and I had to have testing, and a psychological evaluation to make sure my head was in the right place. Surprisingly, I passed the psych evaluation, and I lost 15lbs on my own. The week before surgery, I went on a liquid diet and lost 11 lbs in a week's time. I had gastric bypass on August 4th, and since that day the weight has literally been falling off me.

I'm not going to lie and say it's been easy. Early on I had problems watching others eat things. I got sick a few times when I ate things I shouldn't have, didn't chew my food well enough, or I ate too fast. I'm only eating around 700 to 800 calories a day, and I can't eat bread or pasta. I stay away from refined sugar and most processed foods. I eat protein first, then veggies, then starches. I'm not always perfect, and the holidays were hard. I got sick the day after Christmas when I ate some coconut cream pie, and ate way too many Christmas cookies.

So now my resolution is to get back on track, to make an eating plan everyday and stick to it. I'm also going to resolve to be a little less critical of myself when I do screw up. Also, I MUST take my vitamins everyday.

Thanks for reading along, happy new year every one!

Age: 44 | Height: 5' 3" | Starting January 2015: 291 | RNY 8/4/15 with Dr. Arthur Carlin| Goal: 150

Listen to advice and accept discipline, and at the end you will be counted among the wise. ~Proverbs 19:20