Vsg in 2 weeks, considering backing out

(deactivated member)
on 2/8/16 2:01 am
VSG on 02/24/16

Hi, yes Im really starting to worry now as I started liquid diet today and due to be sleeved in 2 weeks. Just have so many "what if's" going through my head. If anyone has time, some positive experiences with VSG would be greatly appreciated. I realise the first few months will be tough, but after that I want to be as normal as possible A steak and a beer now and then still, just smaller amounts. Can anyone help with this, any replies will be greatly appreciated to assist me not back out as right now I'm panicking..

Perth Australia, male, age 37 bmi 36, 5'8".. 110kg..

Eggface
on 2/8/16 4:10 am, edited 2/7/16 8:10 pm - Sunny Southern, CA

So I had RNY which is considered slightly more restrictive as far as post op eating goes and I can have a beer and steak any time I want. Steak yum. I don't drink beer often (150+ liquid calories and unless it's a hot summer day and it's an especially good beer would I use those cals up) but I could. After a few months there is very little you won't be able to eat again... no worries there but I think after you gain some of the health benefits post-op you will place less value on it if that makes sense. 

Best wishes to you! P.S. Be sure to cross post this on the VSG specific forum for even more replies.

~Shelly

Weight Loss Surgery Friendly Recipes & Rambling
www.theworldaccordingtoeggface.com

Grim_Traveller
on 2/8/16 4:19 am
RNY on 08/21/12

After about 2 months, you can have steak every day if you like. I do, usually 5 days a week.

Dense protein first is the number one lifetime rule. You'd be better off ditching the beer though.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

MassHockey
on 2/8/16 4:24 am

You sound like I did.  Before my RNY, I told my doctor that I didnt want to do it if I could never drink beer or eat a burger again.  He assured me that I'd be able to do both; But that I should do both thoughtfully and consciously, as opposed to doing them habitually like I used to.

I'm only 4 months out so my food intake is still pretty limited.  But its getting easier to easier to eat chicken, pork, etc...I can definitely see "normal" food as a part of my life in the near future.  Meanwhile, I've tried drinking beer a few times and have had ZERO repercussions. I havent gotten sick....or drunk....or anything else.  Thats just been my experience.  Obviously, I took it slow( started with half a beer one night just to see how my body would react) and others have different experiences.  For me (and again, everybodys experience is different), alcohol has not been a problem.

I am more optimistic about this than ever.  I believe that my surgery has allowed me to get my life back (Ive lost 120pounds in 4 months).....now I just have to be aware of portioning, moderation, etc....

acbbrown
on 2/8/16 5:41 am - Granada Hills, CA

What if your health became a priority?

What if you no longer have to carry the burden of being overweight/obese?

What if you could wear whatever you want?

What if you could enjoy activities without worrying about your weight and whether you can do it?

What if you could eat a small meal and be satisfied?

What if dieting was easier ? (And yes, 4.5 yrs post VSG I do have to diet but it's so much easier). 

What ifs - lots of them. I found they outweighed the other what ifs. 

www.sexyskinnybitch.wordpress.com - my journey to sexy skinny bitch status

11/16/12 - Got my Body by Sauceda - arms, Bl/BA, LBL, thigh lift. 

HW 420/ SW 335 /CW 200    85 lbs lost pre-op / 135 post op

~~~~Alison~~~~~

Jo_Jo
on 2/8/16 7:02 pm
RNY on 02/09/16

I'm having surgery in about 10 hours. Thank you for putting the question out there. And thank you all for your encouragement. I was having a bit of a panic attack. Trying to calm down. This surgery will give me my life back. I will finally be free of this prison. This is a great place to visit for support.

MassHockey
on 2/9/16 2:52 am

You'll do great.  

Its the best decision I ever made....by far.  You'll be thrilled you did it.  Good luck.

Dan1962
on 2/8/16 7:00 am - Syracuse, NY
VSG on 09/23/14

Many of us had the same fears.  I went to a seminar and I thought it was going to be too restrictive and went on a diet.  One year later after dropping 36 pounds and putting 23 back on, I finally made the commitment to go through with it.  I went through the 6 month supervised diet, and 17 months after surgery here I am.  Best decision I have ever made.  Honestly, food isn't the center of my universe any longer.  I still eat very well and love what I eat.  Lots of dense proteins.  I can drink beer, love love love IPAs but don't drink them often becaue of the carbs and calories.  I drink a low carb beer now, or wine typucally.  (can't drink like my 336# former self)

The positives completely out weigh the negatives.  I'm off all medications, CPAP machine, and I've dropped 146#.  Think of it this way.  You are trying to hang on to behaviors that got you here in the first place.  Once I got going with the weight lose, those new habits and lifestyle choices became the new norm.  Now that I'm in maintenance, I have those days ( like Superbowl Sunday) where I go off the reservation, but not many.  I had a few chips yesterday, but skipped the alcohol.  I honestly now mimic the behavior of my normal sized friends (since I'm one of them now) and it is so odd to me how they eat low carbs and don't ever over eat?!?  WFT?  Who does that willingly?  Lots of people.   Good luck with your choice 

4khansen
on 2/8/16 12:07 pm - IA
VSG on 07/01/15

I am 7.5 months out from VSG.  I basically can eat anything.  Of course, some foods digest better than others.  Some items that I used to just love, love, love I don't have a huge need to eat much of anymore.  One in particular is bread.  I do avoid some foods because of my surgeon's recommendation, but it isn't as though I haven't had a little of any of them.  Those are fruit juices, beer (I might have a taster when visiting a brewery), and the big thing I avoid is eating any of the so-called no no's first.  If I do enjoy them it is after eating my dense protein, etc. 

Don't panick!!  I gradually added all the foods back starting with week 5 or 6 after surgery and by weeks 10-12 I was pretty much eating all foods that I could.  Again, you are not going to be eating much, period.

You will love your sleeve . . . .  that is the most likely outcome despite all your concerns!

HW: 336.5 (March 1, 2015), Height: 5'11", Birthdate: November 8, 1955

VSG: July 1, 2015 288.0 lbs, University of Iowa Hospitals -- Dr. Isaac Samuel

CW: 196 lbs, goal: 186

8/2/15 -- 263.8 | 8/30/15 -- 256.0 | 9/20/15 -- 248.6 | 11/1/15 -- 240.6 | 11/29/15 -- 233.2 | 1/3/16 -- 227.4 | 1/31/16 -- 218.6 | 2/28/16 -- 211.2 | 3/27/16 -- 204.6 | 5/2/2016 -- 206.6 | 5/30/2016 -- 203.8 | 7/7/2016 --198.8 | 8/1/2016 -- 197.8 | 1/25/2017 -- 196.3 | 3/23/2017 -- 194

Luvmygs
on 2/8/16 1:12 pm
VSG on 12/04/14

Having 2nd thoughts is pretty normal. I'm sure you've been told many times that the sleeve is just a tool to help you lose the initial weight. But, we have to change our life style and eating habits to maintain our weight loss. I'm 14 months post op and I totally enjoy a steak once in awhile! There are a few things that I totally enjoyed eating before surgery and now I no longer crave those foods. You will NOT regret having this surgery. My only regret is that I had wished I had done this sooner. SO MANY benefits from WLS. Good luck.