Newbie: Fearful of denial and surgery

poet_kelly
on 2/7/16 1:19 pm - OH

No, they won't deny you due to having depression.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

(deactivated member)
on 2/7/16 3:22 pm - CA

Hi and welcome to OH!   You will find that everyone is pretty straight forward with their experience and their input.  It is what is so valuable about this site.   There should be no issues with you qualifying for surgery and your depression should not disqualify you.   Each of us at one point in time experienced depression.   

I think you have gotten a lot of great response to your post.  For me, RNY was the only choice because of my starting weight and the fact I like sweets.  I needed the dumping component of the surgery to help me stay on track.  The re-routing the my intestines was not a huge concern to me and it still is not.  I did have a vitamin deficiency (my own fault, not the surgery), but I am back on track    I am going to be 15 years post op this April.  

I think that no matter which surgery you choose, you need to realize that this surgery is a tool.  You have to work your tool, no matter which one it is to ensure you maximize your weight loss as well as maintain that weight loss.   Following your post op diet plan and cutting the carbs and sugar are the key to success.  

Nik

poplargreys
on 2/7/16 4:14 pm
VSG on 03/31/15

I don't know what your insurance will do, but if you're not working with an individual therapist I would suggest finding one that has experience with WLS patients. My surgeon's group offers lifetime group therapy for their patients, but even group sessions can't replace individual therapy to help address the emotional and mental challenges you will face before and after WLS.

hollykim
on 2/7/16 4:30 pm - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On February 7, 2016 at 5:18 PM Pacific Time, sugapuddin26 wrote:

Good morning everyone.  I thank you all so very much for sharing such intimate parts of your life that another may gain knowledge and benefit from your experience.  Well here's a bit about me.  I just got Kaiser Permanente insurance and at my first appointment as with most first appointments the doctor is concerned about my weight and immediately brought up weight loss surgery.  Never have I even considered such a thing I always believed it was for much larger patients.  My BMI is at 41 after my labs came back it was found that I am pre-diabetic.  So I'm 5'4", I weight 239lbs., I'm pre-diabetic, I have severe obstructive sleep apnea, I have GERD, and I'm also anemic.  WOW writing this out is hard.  I have struggled with weight it seems all my adult life.  I have lost and always regained.  Okay so I also suffer with depression and this is the part that scares me.  Will they deny me just based on that alone.  It is treated and has been for a number of years now.  I just don't want to get my hopes up for some real help and being started down a great path to better living and then have the rug snatched from under me.  I have been reading all I can about the sleeve and bypass.  So if you have any advice or suggestions I would appreciate it.  

welcome . As other have said,you well qualify for the surgery. Depression won't be a factor. 

I had the VSg nearly 6 years ago when my BMI was 51,254# at 4'11". I have lost and maintained the loss of 120# for that time. I am still losing. 

I had GERD at the time of my VSG,and after surgery,the GERD is no better or no worse. I assume you are taking Nexium or something for it now and you will probably

have to continue that. 

I was more concerned with reactive hypoglycemia than having my intestines re routed. You need to google that as well as " dumping" that some ppl develop after the RNY,when they eat sweets. Dumping only affect about 30% of the ppl who have RNY,and you won't know till it is done if you will dum*****t. I wouldnt

choose my surgery  based on if I wanted to use that as a deterrent to eating sweets. 

There are all kinds of posts on the differences in VSG and RNY on. OH. To find them ,go to the top of any page in the blue bar and find the little magnifying glass. Click on that and put in how to choose between vsg. And RNY or dumping ,etc and you will. Get any number of posts,actually ,more than a sane person can stand in one day.   :)

Sarafer
on 2/7/16 8:59 pm
RNY on 01/14/16

Welcome! I have depression and general anxiety disorder and was approved on the first try with no issues- even discussed it in detail during my required psych evaluation that was sent to insurance. 

RNY: 1/14/16    Age: 34   Height: 5'4"  SW: 280

GeekMonster, Insolent Hag
on 2/8/16 12:53 pm - CA
VSG on 12/19/13

Welcome  

This is a great place for information and support.  Don't be scared.  We don't bite... much.

If you have GERD, the VSG may not be the surgery for you.  There's nothing wrong with the RNY.

I'm in SoCal too, and although I don't have Kaiser, I hear that their bariatric program is very good.  If I were you, I would seriously consider surgery given all your medical conditions.  I also have OSA and use a CPAP.  I'm hoping to eventually dump the sucker when I get closer to my goal weight.  

Good luck with whatever path you take.  For me, this was the best decision I ever made for myself.  Life has changed completely.

"Oderint Dum Metuant"    Discover the joys of the Five Day Meat Test!

Height:  5'-7"  HW: 449  SW: 392  GW: 179  CW: 220