Newbie: Fearful of denial and surgery

sugapuddin26
on 2/7/16 9:18 am

Good morning everyone.  I thank you all so very much for sharing such intimate parts of your life that another may gain knowledge and benefit from your experience.  Well here's a bit about me.  I just got Kaiser Permanente insurance and at my first appointment as with most first appointments the doctor is concerned about my weight and immediately brought up weight loss surgery.  Never have I even considered such a thing I always believed it was for much larger patients.  My BMI is at 41 after my labs came back it was found that I am pre-diabetic.  So I'm 5'4", I weight 239lbs., I'm pre-diabetic, I have severe obstructive sleep apnea, I have GERD, and I'm also anemic.  WOW writing this out is hard.  I have struggled with weight it seems all my adult life.  I have lost and always regained.  Okay so I also suffer with depression and this is the part that scares me.  Will they deny me just based on that alone.  It is treated and has been for a number of years now.  I just don't want to get my hopes up for some real help and being started down a great path to better living and then have the rug snatched from under me.  I have been reading all I can about the sleeve and bypass.  So if you have any advice or suggestions I would appreciate it.  

T Hagalicious Rebel
Brown

on 2/7/16 9:43 am - Brooklyn
VSG on 04/25/14

Hi & Welcome to the boards!

I don't think you'll be denied for having depression, the fact that you're getting treated for it can only work in your favor. It shows that you're taking control of your health.

As far as choosing VSG or RNY, only you can choose what is best for you. Each surgery has its own pros & cons, research all you can. Use the search button also, it's the magnifying glass in the upper right hand corner & read prior posts on your question.

Just know that VSG can make GERD worse. It is a possible side affect of surgery, there have been plenty of people who never had gerd b4 surgery & now they have it, some even revised to the rny because of it. It's kinda a crap shoot.

I choose the vsg & am very happy with my choice. I also had a mild case of gerd prior to wls, it was likely caused by a hiatal hernia that was repaired at surgery. I was on a ppi for a month b4 surgery & for a couple of months after. No problems since then.

Congrats on choosing wls, you're in for a hell of a ride! Good Luck in whatever you choose to do.

No one surgery is better than the other, what works for one may not work for another. T-Rebel

https://fivedaymeattest.com/

sugapuddin26
on 2/7/16 9:50 am

Thank you very much for your input.  When I attended orientation the nurse also said that it's a possibility it will get worse.  My mind is pretty much set on VSG because I don't want no re routing of my intestines. LOL but I'm open to that if the surgeon or any other doc thinks it would be better.  I'm truly excited as to what this could mean to my life.  I've been battling weight for many years.  Losing only to gain it back.  I love eating healthy food I just need more tools, information, and support, and I think this is it.

acbbrown
on 2/7/16 9:59 am - Granada Hills, CA

I had Kaiser - they didn't deny bc of depression. 

www.sexyskinnybitch.wordpress.com - my journey to sexy skinny bitch status

11/16/12 - Got my Body by Sauceda - arms, Bl/BA, LBL, thigh lift. 

HW 420/ SW 335 /CW 200    85 lbs lost pre-op / 135 post op

~~~~Alison~~~~~

Grim_Traveller
on 2/7/16 10:07 am
RNY on 08/21/12

The bad news is, all of your conditions, like diabetes and apnea, will get worse as time goes by. I know, because I found out first hand. The good news is, I WLS can turn it all around. It's made my life so much better.

Many of us suffered from depression. It won't keep you from being approved, so don't worry about that.

If I had gerd, I wouldn't consider VSG. I've seen too many people have reflux get worse, and quite a few that ended up having RNY. Do it once, and be done with it.

Good luck!

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

mschwab
on 2/7/16 10:43 am
RNY on 11/21/14

I have Kaiser and I cannot say enough good things about their program. You are in good hands. Where do you live?  Depression won't disqualify you for surgery. 

Height: 5'7".  HW: 299, Program starting weight: 290, SW: 238, CW 138 - 12 pounds under goal!  

sugapuddin26
on 2/7/16 10:48 am

I'm in So Cal

karenp8
on 2/7/16 12:17 pm - Brighton, IL

So glad to have a newbie join us! Your story sounds much like mine. Prior to surgery I had diabetes high cholesterol,high triglycerides and high blood pressure. I weighed 272 pounds at 5 feet 6 inches and was out of breath going down my basement steps. I had RNY done August 28,2012 after a lifetime of being obese. It was the best decision ever. Today I weigh 122 pounds and have been this weight for over two years. Blood sugar is normal and the meds for triglycerides and cholesterol are gone. I feel like a new and younger person! I am so thankful for my surgery. I have had depression in the past and it did not disqualify me. I would be reluctant too to have the sleeve with already having GERD. With RNY you will not really feel any different and not really know that your insides are rerouted. Best of luck in whatever you decide. I know I wish I had done it sooner!

White Dove
on 2/7/16 12:27 pm - Warren, OH

I worried about rerouting intestines.  After surgery I realized I never knew how my intestines were routed before and did not feel any different with the rearranged.

With RNY you have less chance of GERD and it is often cured with the surgery.  You will lose weight because the intestines cannot absorb everything that you eat.  You  will also have a very tiny stomach and be able to eat very little.  The apnea should improve and possibly go away for good.  The anemia is the thing I am most concerned about.  You need to get on iron capsules and get that resolved before any surgery.

With depression they will want to be sure you are emotionally equipped to handle the diet and lifestyle changes.  A psychologist normally makes that call. 

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Deanna798
on 2/7/16 12:50 pm, edited 2/7/16 6:16 am
RNY on 08/04/15

My first choice was VSG, but because of my diabetes, my primary doctor and my bariatric surgeon thought that RNY would be better.  6 months after surgery and my diabetes is in complete remission.  I've lost over 100lbs and feel like I have my life back!

Age: 44 | Height: 5' 3" | Starting January 2015: 291 | RNY 8/4/15 with Dr. Arthur Carlin| Goal: 150

Listen to advice and accept discipline, and at the end you will be counted among the wise. ~Proverbs 19:20