Newbie..... need support/advice

SydneyGirl81
on 2/7/16 12:15 am
RNY on 04/01/16

Hi all.....

This is my first time here, well ever posting on a forum. .. i need some advice from people who have some life experience with WLS.

I am in Australia and have the choice between VSG or RXY.

i need to make a decision on which procedure i would like in the next few days.

Can anyone kindly give me a list pro's and con's for each and any advice for a completely confused newbie...

Thanking you in advance 

RNY0615
on 2/7/16 5:30 am

It will help people answer your question to know your stats and have more info on your health if you don't mind sharing.  

Height,  weight?  Do you have GERD? Any vitamin/mineral deficiency issues? Anemia? Etc...

SydneyGirl81
on 2/7/16 10:45 am, edited 2/7/16 3:17 am
RNY on 04/01/16

Thank you for replying..

I am currently at 226 lbs, 5'7" and do not have gerd or any obesity related health issues.

I did have the band a few years ago.... i lost 88lbs during that time. I had complications with not being able to keep anything down and a rib fracture.. so i had it removed. Since then i jave gained 44lbs even though ive been watching every single calorie and exercising.

This has caused some serious emotional issues with my relationship with food... im basically scared to eat!

I did start optifast again last week, hoping to lose weight without sugery.... and did okay i lost 6lbs in 5 days.... so it seems i can lose weight.

My biggest concern is..... that after the drama of the band.... i am not sure if surgery is the best thing.... last thing i want ia to have the surgery... do well... then face complications a few years out.. just like i did with my band.... and be stuck with a lifetime of issues.

So... my choices are....

1. Suck it up and do opti long-term and see if i can maintain
  2. Get the sleeve or RXY and hope for the best
roxytrim
on 2/7/16 5:40 am - Cobourg, Canada
VSG on 04/12/13

Welcome to the forum! This question has been posed many times before and if you use the search function, you can see all the replies.  As well, read the current postings on both the rny & vsg forums and you will get some idea of what these surgies are like to live with.

Basically with the rny you have two tools, malabsorbtion and restriction, vsg restriction only.  Both surgeries will get you where you want to go - really the work is up to you and it is your journey.

Good luck with the work.

Eggface
on 2/7/16 8:03 am, edited 2/7/16 12:04 am - Sunny Southern, CA

Welcome! Best wishes in your research. Having weight loss surgery was truly the best gift I ever gave myself (my story is in my blog, link below) hope you will feel the same too.

I echo the reply above... A LOT of WLS is the work we do above the neck pre- and post-op, the emotional aspects of this journey are not to be underestimated (hardest part IMHO) As for the logistics of the surgeries here's a great breakdown with diagrams and advantages/disadvantages http://asmbs.org/patients/bariatric-surgery-procedures  Though one persons advantage may be another disadvantage: You'll want to chat with your Dr/bariatric team to determine the procedure that is right for you.

Weight Loss Surgery Friendly Recipes & Rambling
www.theworldaccordingtoeggface.com

SydneyGirl81
on 2/7/16 10:52 am
RNY on 04/01/16

Thank you for input. ... appreciated you taking the time to get back to me.

I have spoken with 2 sugeons regarding their opinion. Both aeem to be giving conflicting information and the nurse seems to think that i should be able to lose the 44lbs without the need for such an invasive surgery.

I am really confused regarding what to do.... as i had such bad complications with my band... after doing so well and maintaining for 3 years..... complications came 3 years after i had the band. ... it a scary thought that it works well.... then it mucks up after a few year.... with no reversal

H.A.L.A B.
on 2/7/16 8:22 am

Unless you have GERD or other issues that are contraindicated for VSG - that would be my first choice... I had RNY and I am doing good weight wise but I probably would do very well with VSG while having less issues long term.  And be able to have more "normal life" long term... 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

RNY on 12/22/14

This video presents the key issues - so you which factors apply to you and can have a more-informed discussion with your doctor.  This dr was not my doctor - but his video is close to what my doctor said.  It is short, but essential viewing.

http://drmatthewweiner.com/how-to-choose-the-right-bariatric-weight-loss-surgery/

Good Luck!!  Post any time with questions.

Sharon