Im gaining weight to get approved for insurance coverage!

SDenae
on 2/17/16 10:17 pm - Greenwood, IN
VSG on 09/23/15

Because this person is saying that they are going to intentionally GAIN weight to get an elective surgery. Most of us more than met the requirements for getting the surgery. Myself, I needed to lose over 100 pounds, was diabetic, and had high blood pressure.

I guess I just can't understand someone intentionally gaining weight so that they can get WLS. My view is, if you can do it without it, don't do it. I suppose I didn't communicate my point well.

Age: 40 | Height: 5'3" | HW: 245 | Program Start: 231 | SW: 208.5 | CW: 148.2 | GW: 130
M1: 15 M2: 15 M3: 6.7 M4: 10 M5: 6.6 M6: 3.3

^ Total weight lost
LilySlim Weight loss tickers

H.A.L.A B.
on 2/18/16 9:55 am

I think you failed to read when she started: 

"Yes, i have gained and lost weight all my life, 100 pounds here, 120 pounds plus and minus. "

Meaning - she is obese, and she tried to lose the weight over and over...and she is still obese... but because she stayed relatively healthy - no comorbidities so far...she doesn't qualifies for WLS.  

the studies show the diet alone fails 95% of the time. With WLS - she has a chance to lose it and maintain it.  I know I do.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Maria27
on 2/7/16 10:32 am - Chicago, IL
RNY on 03/17/15

I totally disagree with you. My tool is the only reason I have been able to stick to the post op diet. Eating 4 oz per meal is completely unrealistic for someone with a normal size stomach. Plus there is plenty of research out there that wls changes more than just stomach size.

Height: 5'5" HW: 290 Consultation Weight: 276 SW: 257 CW: 132

L. 68
on 2/6/16 7:15 pm
LookingForOnederlan
d

on 2/7/16 6:24 am - Shelbyville, TN

I have heard of several folks having to do this, to satisfy Insurance coverage. Sometimes, with the Insurance company explaining the process! Good luck to you!

ps, when you weigh, wear combat boots and a fishing jacket with lead sinkers, lol (jk).

Sleeved on 6/19/2014  Hw 277  Sw 254   Cw  142  Gw 135

M1 -20  M2 -10  M3 -11  M4 -11  M5 -11  M6 -8  M7 -8  M8 -8  M9 -1  M10 -8  M11 -4  M12 -2  M13-18-5

ONEderland 10/15/2014

H.A.L.A B.
on 2/7/16 8:39 am

I was self paid. When I decided to have WLS I just stoped dieting and starving myself and in no time I gained 15 lbs..  Just enough to reach BMI.. Of 41..

But as others said - make sure your insurance requirements don't specify years of recorded high BMI..

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

poet_kelly
on 2/7/16 1:18 pm - OH

Sounds like a really, really bad idea to me.  First, it could be consider insurance fraud.  You don't qualify for WLS.  So you are purposely gaining weight in order to qualify for something you don't qualify for.

And what an unhealthy way to start this journey.

Does your insurance or your surgeon require you to meet with a therapist for a psych eval before approving the surgery?

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.