almost 2 years out .. is it time for this CONTRAVE???

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 2/8/16 7:23 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

Yup, some of the meds for weight loss are also used for (or are related to) some psych meds that have reduced hunger as a side effect. They can be pretty nasty even when you need them for mental health!

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Susie2756
on 2/5/16 2:19 pm

^^^what white dove and Laura said are spot on.  I am almost 26 1/2 months out from rny and can only say  it is definitely harder at the two-year mark. I see the scale move in the right direction when I take in less calories.  I weigh and measure my food log it in to track calories etc.  It is not easy some days but I am a work in progress and keep at it every day .I reviewed my food logs and tweaked my food plan, lost 2 pounds in last two weeks. As the expression goes the struggle is real...Diet pills never worked for me personally. I wish you the best and feel free to pm me if I can be of support. 

Susie 

T Hagalicious Rebel
Brown

on 2/5/16 6:46 pm - Brooklyn
VSG on 04/25/14

We're only a month apart so I feel your pain. I wouldn't bother with diet pills you've got to buckle down & concentrate on your eating. It isn't easy, I know. As I worked my way down I had to play with the numbers to get the scale moving again. Most times I've had to go under 1000 calories & get closer to 800, also had to cut back on the carbs & get it closer to 30 & at the same time up my water to closer to 100. You'll have to play with the numbers to get the scale moving again.

You can get to Onederland, but it'll take a little more work at this stage to get there. Good Luck to you! 

No one surgery is better than the other, what works for one may not work for another. T-Rebel

https://fivedaymeattest.com/

jenny1188
on 2/5/16 7:35 pm - mount laurel, NJ
VSG on 03/03/14

Thanks for everyone's  input.   I really thought I was free and clear after the year plus and never thought I would feel starving feeling again .  I was so happy  but now when I'm  starving through out some days it really upsets me that this nightmare is really forever and no way out.   I guess I thought I was healed  :( ... oh well.  I never want to gain that weight back do I'm going to keep fighting 

Thanks for listening me ***** 

seattledeb
on 2/5/16 11:58 pm

You've learned a very valuable lesson. There is no magic pill. There is no magic surgery. You have a great tool to lose weight. You got the Cadillac of tools to lose weight. It's not magic and it's not overnight. It's how you are going to eat one day at a time for the rest of your life. If you can get back to the basics you will lose weight and find the real maintenance spot you want. It's deceptively simple but very hard. One step one day. Maybe a carb purge of the house?

Deb

Laura in Texas
on 2/6/16 5:27 am

Well said, Deb!! 

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

hollykim
on 2/6/16 1:36 pm - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On February 6, 2016 at 3:35 AM Pacific Time, jenny1188 wrote:

Thanks for everyone's  input.   I really thought I was free and clear after the year plus and never thought I would feel starving feeling again .  I was so happy  but now when I'm  starving through out some days it really upsets me that this nightmare is really forever and no way out.   I guess I thought I was healed  :( ... oh well.  I never want to gain that weight back do I'm going to keep fighting 

Thanks for listening me ***** 

since you know you are slacking, no diet pill is going to make a differEnce. If you are starving,you are probably eating too many carbs. What is a day's meal plan look like for you?

TD1808
on 2/6/16 9:51 am
VSG on 01/28/16

!!! Omg no no no!!!!

Cutting calories has never worked. Hasn't anyone here been on a diet???? 

Now... if you're honestly eating whatever you want, then I'll agree with anyone saying its calorie related... BUT... if you want to push past that 210 mark -- pick up some HEAVY weights and pump them a few times daily. Muscle is the toughest thing for the body to maintain. Its not a coincidence that muscular people have to eat thousands of calories just to keep their weight up.

Here's what i learned:

if you're not eating OFTEN enough - yes, you read that right - you will stall. Any doc or body builder will tell you that frequent meals your body can count on revvs that metabolism. You can't slack though. You have to have the small meals 5-7 times a day. Believe me when I say small, its small. A bigger meal at the big 3: breakkie, lunch, dinner, but frequent tiny tiny snacks. A couple of macadamia nuts (high cal, good oils, great for the body and best of all low carb). 

Also -- watch your sugar intake. You remember that pre op diet where they had you eating high protein and lay off the carbs? Just because you lost weight doesn't mean your sugar problems went away - they just got less intense, less sensitive. If you're eating refined carbs: bread, pasta, most rices, and junk food - see above on cutting those calories straight OUT.

But you gotta get moving. Weight training is the best because it makes life so effortless when you have muscle. As a female your hormones won't let you get huge (trust me, the ones who look that way are eating 10,000 calories and drinking it down with testosterone hormones). In fact, the more weight training you do (LESS reps, MORE weight... none of this six trillion reps nonsense. 10 reps, heavy as possible, done. repeat in a minute. done. repeat one last time for as many as you can. if you could do 10 again, it wasnt heavy enough). 

I've no idea what this Contrave thing is, but if its a pill - pills didn't work before, did they? course not. They won't work now.

You can do this. 

Grim_Traveller
on 2/6/16 11:27 am
RNY on 08/21/12

Cutting calories is the ONLY thing that works.

Lifting heavy is great. But you cannot add muscle while losing all the weight we have to lose. It's simply impossible. While losing 50 or 100 pounds, you will in fact LOSE muscle mass. Every single one of us. Lifting weights will minimize muscle loss. But if you want to lose weight, you have to cut calories. No ifs, ands, or buts.

Many, many studies show that meal frequency has nothing to do with weight loss. Nor does needing to eat breakfast, eating after 7 o'clock at night, etc etc etc. Eat three meals, 5, 7, whatever. It's the total number of calories, in the end, that matter. If eating 7 meals makes you happier than eating 3, that can help. But not if the calories are higher overall.

If lifting weights and eating more often were that important, none of us would ever need WLS.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

TD1808
on 2/6/16 11:34 am
VSG on 01/28/16

There is a correlation between caloric intake and output regarding weight loss. The idea behind building muscle is that you will burn more calories at rest than if you're not lifting. What you eat has a lot to do with this. The idea behind many small meals is to keep insulin levels solid. You do not want oscillating blood sugars. If blood sugars spike, that hormones triggers fat storage. Keep insulin levels solid.

And -- you know.. if it was only based on calories, everyone here would be thin because we've all done the calorie route. Fact is, it's not that simple. As for your last statement, if everyone here did lift weights and eat right, you're right - none of us would need WLS. Fact is, we didn't. Any doctor out there will tell you exercise is important, a proper diet is important. its not just 1 thing. However, I digress... I was truly trying to help. Ya'll duke this one out.