Relationship with food. A love/hate thing???

(deactivated member)
on 2/6/16 3:38 am

Think you are spot on with your ideas of why the invitations to the cafeteria are dwindling. If this leaves you feeling left out ask if you might join them for lunch. That way it is clear that being around food is OK in your thoughts and not tempting you along with letting them know you still enjoy their company.

I did not eat out till probably a couple of months after my surgery. I do not work or go out often anyway. I will admit I was a little nervous about it on the way to the restaurant. I ordered an entree that came with salad. Took a bite or two and then gave it to my husband who usually gets a burger and thus no salad. I asked the waitress for a to go container as she delivered the meal. She didn't look at me sideways. Normally I would ask for one after I have eaten but others had advised divide the meal up before you eat so you don't eat too much so you are eyeballing not measuring.

Your kids words made me smile for yes at first we think about it so much that we don't remember the world does not revolve around us LOL! I have found in general no one notices we eat differently or so much less, in social situations. Everyone is busy talking to each other. We eat slowly and  take small bites so our meal takes just as long as theirs. Not drinking with a meal took a bit of getting used to. I usually take a sip or two of water of water while I wait for the food if I am eating out, but a just a small sip.

I am six months out and it is starting to become a normal way of life. I don't feel deprived but sometimes miss knowing I can eat a big serving of something yummy yet even as I think that I know the thought is silly and I am far happier this way. In fact I laugh at very often at how little goes on my plate.

Good luck to you with your upcoming surgery.

handtlkr
on 2/6/16 5:48 pm - Gulfport, MS
VSG on 12/17/15

The reason we think it's going to be hard is because we still have to be in the same house with the one we divorced, but we still have a love for him..."food". Going into surgery, I wasn't sure I was even ready to get this drastic in my ways of eating, but I had contemplated having the surgery for at least 15 years.  Right before being wheeled into the prep room, I took one last look at some pictures as to WHY I wanted to do this thing. It was the inspiration I needed in order not to jump off that gurney and run away.

That being said, after surgery, you'll have a hard time getting enough calories down in order to gain weight, and it takes a lot of effort to get in all the liquids and vitamins as well.  Worry over how are you going to handle food around your family, at least to me, isn't an effort. I cook for my family (7 people), but I don't eat with them, mostly because they want to sit around the t.v. to eat.  I sit and savor the little bit I can eat, and think about each bite I'm eating. The days of eating without thinking are in the past for me and I don't ever want to get my old habits back after I have reached my goal. I have a terrific support group at work, surprisingly, because I didn't know so many people had had the surgery, but they started coming out of the woodwork after I had mine. I try to be sure I get in a great deal of protein each day, then I work at getting my vegetables in. I keep tract of everything I eat and the portions I eat as well. So far, I've been losing about 4 pounds a week, and I'm happy with that. 

I've been robbed! My grandbaby stole my heart!  She just raised her hands and I surrendered.