Calcium PatchMD users...

RNY0615
on 2/4/16 10:13 am

Hey there! I'm 7 months post op and have used the patch multi since just before my surgery. I tried using the B12 patch also, but I was having trouble sleeping so I stopped that one. 

I'm HATING all of these calcium citrate pills I'm having to take throughout the day. They're the only supplements I take that are so big they make me choke about half the time, and that's with them split in half!!! 

I have not ordered the calcium patch BECAUSE it's calcium carbonate, which I was told the carbonate can cause ulcers, BUT does anyone know if, since it's topical, it can still cause ulcers? I'm not sure how these patches work, but does it even enter my digestive system at all? 

Has anyone been on the calcium patch for any extended amount of time? If so, any indication that it's causing ulcers or low calcium in your labs? I'm about ready to try them out so I can stop having to take all these calcium pills, BUT I don't want to deteriorate! I'm trying to be diligent with my supplements! 

Thanks!

H.A.L.A B.
on 2/4/16 10:56 am

I never heard calcium carbonate causes ulcers. Stones - yea.. But not ulcers. I use some chewable calcium carbonate as antacid when my pouch gets fussy. 

We can't absorb very well calcium from carbonate because our pouch or sleeve does not make enough acid to break it down....  

As for patches - I also have the big pills, so now I use calcium citrate in capsules (vitamin Shoppe has them). More expensive but I take them... People also use ucal-d. Powder they mix with drinks.

I use calcium patch but over a year I noticed my PTH got higher...indicating some calcium leaking from my bones. So beside the patch I added a few calcium capsules.. When I remember and when my gut is ok.. (my gut hates most vitamins and minerals).

Absorbing the vitamins and minerals from patch can vary from person to person. Some absorb very well.. Others - not so much.. You need to monitor your vitamin and mineral levels to know how they work for you. 

Btw - I am over 50, with good bones (had bone density scan) so I can risk losing some calcium if that protect my gut... 

Still my PTH was higher than before I switched but withing normal values.. Not a reason for a great concern. 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

RNY0615
on 2/4/16 11:25 am

Thanks for taking time to respond and being so thorough! 

You are correct- the carbonate variety causes STONES, not ULCERS.... I remembered it wrong, but knew there was something negative involved. 

Despite only being 7 months out, I've gotten labs done 4 times since June of last year. Not all by my surgeon/PCP, but the ER once when I was dehydrated, and my neurologist when he was looking for a cause for my neuropathy. That said, I don't know how to read them, but I have created a spreadsheet of everything they've tested. I don't quite know how to interpret it, but I can at leas****ch the trends and google anything troubling. 

I looked and I don't see a PTH at all! My calcium levels have remained pretty consistent and within normal range, though. 

I will look for calcium citrate in capsules and decide if I'm going to switch my calcium dosage to just patch, the capsules, or a combo. 

Thanks again! 

H.A.L.A B.
on 2/4/16 12:07 pm

I had to learn the hard way about vitamins minerals and what is good level of each for me. Optimum. 

I.e iron panel without ferritin is rather usless... Most normal levels are just levels that you should not die right away... But , I.e I can feel when my B12 drops below 800... I like my B12 to be 1000 -1500. But to get tyre - I need injections.. Weekly or every 10 days. Some people don't retain B12.. 

Calcium - blood level does not tell you if you absorbing enough or your body is taking that from your bones. We need PTH to help us identify that. And D3.. 

And so on..

I am not a doc- but I understand my labs.. If you want - PM me the result and I can give you some pointers were to look and why... 

For bone health, calcium is just one factor. We also need magnesium, boron, K2, etc etc. Vit D3 helps us absorb calcium and it is critical for many body functions.. (i.e anticancer) but too much can be really toxic. 

You mentioned neuropathy -  low b12, or B1 can cause that, or.. High B6. Many docs don't test B6. B6 can reach toxic level and it is difficult to reduce... 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

shery11ynn
on 2/4/16 12:05 pm

I used the chewables for a while, but couldn't deal with the taste. I then found Citrical Petites, which are still a bit large, but much smaller than a horse pill. Check them out, too!

Neesie57
on 2/4/16 2:22 pm
VSG on 08/04/15

I really like the Bariatric Advantage calcium chews.  My favorite is the caramel, followed secondly by the peanut butter. I buy them from Amazon.  The large calcium pills would stick in my throat, so I just don't use those anymore.

5' 5" tall. VSG on August 4, 2015/ Starting weight 239.9/ Surgery weight 210.9/ Current weight 137.4/ Goal weight 140/ No longer overweight, now a NORMAL weight. Now that I'm at goal, it's time to move on to maintenance!!!!!!!!

lking
on 2/4/16 2:41 pm, edited 2/4/16 6:43 am - Indianapolis, IN
RNY on 12/04/15

The Bariatric Advantage Chews are great!  I love the carmel, but decided to try the chocolate.  OMG, it's like having a Tootsie Roll.  I especially enjoy mine with a hot cup of tea or coffee...it's my daily "sweet" treat.

67 yrs old, 4'10", BMI 31.8 (51.8 at start), HW 256.4 (8/4/15), SW 217.4, CW 152.8 (4/30/18), GW 125.0, RNY 12/4/15 Dr. RoseMarie Jones, Breast Cancer DX 2/16, Bi-lateral mastectomy 8/9/16.